U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 08:09 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,764,764 times

Advertisements

Hopefully Huntington can receive the full designation of being Bike Friendly soon. Kind of surprised they haven't already.

Huntington Receives Bicycle Friendly Honorable Mention | Huntington News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 AM

Huntington named one of three Amazing Cities in WV for 2015:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...33857096625209

Old 01-29-2016, 05:10 PM

Parks District looking into new Indoor Tennis facility:

Officials propose tennis facility | Recent News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 01-30-2016, 05:24 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,666,962 times
I'm not sure how I feel about the indoor tennis facility. For that amount of money, it would seem that the GGPRD could fund several projects, including buying a new bubble for the Ritter Park tennis center.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:34 PM

If the facility is made for more uses and they partner with Marshall like mentioned, it would likely be a worthy investment. These quotes from the article gives me some hope of this.

Quote:
The purposed facility would be built at the site of the former Olympic Pool in the West End and would include six tennis courts, seating for spectators, offices and classrooms. While tennis events would be the main focus of the facility, it would also have the space to accommodate other activities such as dog shows, community trade shows, and informal sports like soccer, whiffle ball or basketball.
Quote:
The needs of Marshall University will also play a factor in feasibility study. Brady said the six courts would allow the university to host collegiate tournaments in their own backyard.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:46 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,097,585 times
Having a premier indoor facility would be wonderful for the city. I'm not sure how packed the one in Barboursville is, and I've only been there once, but I can guarantee that if the city decides to build one here, it will be in constant use. Speaking as a former tennis player, having consistent, year-round coaching and training does wonders personally and for the area programs. Being able to add Marshall to mix and have collegiate matches in town would be phenomenal. To many, it may be a niche facility, but I do believe this would be a worthy investment.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:03 PM

15 posts, read 22,060 times
Went to check out this place, my wife was born and raised there, think we will keep looking...Old run down ..reminds me of the movies Some work has been done downtown but still looks like Detroit did years ago.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:53 PM

Huntington ranks as the 27th Best City for Football Fans:

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...#main-findings

Old 02-17-2016, 07:55 AM

530 posts, read 494,487 times
Anonymous donation made for demolition of dilapidated buildings. I think the creation of the vacant building registry is a step in the right direction but I still think there are some other ways to tackle the enormous number of eyesores that need to be torn down. One idea that I have advocated is to create some tax breaks/credits for general contractors to demolish some of these structures. Remember, these contractors are members of the community and I'm certain that they too, would like to see these blighted properties demolished, and many would be willing to do it for a tax break or even voluntarily in some cases just as a way of giving back to the community. I also think that there is some room for the MU School of Engineering to get involved, perhaps in cooperation with contractors, to create an educational experience. We need more ideas to get these buildings demolished ASAP to improve the aesthetic appearance of our community, which frankly, at the moment, appears drab and blighted.

Anonymous donation will help demolish dilapidated buildings | Recent News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,097,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
Anonymous donation made for demolition of dilapidated buildings. I think the creation of the vacant building registry is a step in the right direction but I still think there are some other ways to tackle the enormous number of eyesores that need to be torn down. One idea that I have advocated is to create some tax breaks/credits for general contractors to demolish some of these structures. Remember, these contractors are members of the community and I'm certain that they too, would like to see these blighted properties demolished, and many would be willing to do it for a tax break or even voluntarily in some cases just as a way of giving back to the community. I also think that there is some room for the MU School of Engineering to get involved, perhaps in cooperation with contractors, to create an educational experience. We need more ideas to get these buildings demolished ASAP to improve the aesthetic appearance of our community, which frankly, at the moment, appears drab and blighted.

Anonymous donation will help demolish dilapidated buildings | Recent News | herald-dispatch.com
To that end, one community partner could be Coalfield Development Corp. and their Reclaim Appalachia initiative. They're working with the West Edge project and several projects in Wayne, Lincoln, and Mingo Counties; it could only be for a few properties, but that could be but one piece of the puzzle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington