U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 09:26 PM

941 posts, read 1,192,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Nice updates on Tri State Airport and efforts to redevelop Downtown Huntington:

Growth helps airport upgrade | News | herald-dispatch.com

Many choosing to live downtown | News | herald-dispatch.com
You know I think they had an article last year about how awesome the airport was doing. Well I hope to see one every year. And at this pace, it seems like I very well might!

I read that downtown article a few years ago. I follow Aaron's Downtown Huntington Facebook page pretty religiously. I even some news from that page before I see it here or on the Herald Dispatch. The page also just hit 17,000 likes. That's a crap ton! Anyway, it's super exciting to finally see people actually wanting to live downtown!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 PM

567 posts, read 534,186 times
Quote:
Nice updates on Tri State Airport and efforts to redevelop Downtown Huntington:

Growth helps airport upgrade | News | herald-dispatch.com

Many choosing to live downtown | News | herald-dispatch.com

If only the regional airport would have been built in Putnam County....

Old 03-30-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
If only the regional airport would have been built in Putnam County....
This ^^^^

Apparently, Charleston didn't want it. They wanted to focus on Yeager, which I understand completely, but in the end it just wasn't as beneficial for the region.

When I spoke to Mayor Williams last year, he said that it's certainly still a possibility if everything aligns properly. However, both cities are pursuing different priorities at the moment and both airports have had more money invested in them recently. That will cause hesitation for both parties.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:25 PM

567 posts, read 534,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
This ^^^^

Apparently, Charleston didn't want it. They wanted to focus on Yeager, which I understand completely, but in the end it just wasn't as beneficial for the region.

When I spoke to Mayor Williams last year, he said that it's certainly still a possibility if everything aligns properly. However, both cities are pursuing different priorities at the moment and both airports have had more money invested in them recently. That will cause hesitation for both parties.
Charleston has pushed back against most progress that Huntington has wanted to implement to the region. Absolutely ridiculous.

Yeager has somewhere around 200k enplanements. Tri-State has somewhere around 100k. A regional airport could easily see over 500k enplanements/year (possibly a lot more) with more destinations, larger planes, and ultimately cheaper fares. People drive to Cincinnati, Columbus, or Pittsburgh just to get much cheaper flights when going longer distances across the country. That shouldn't have to happen. I remember one argument that Charleston had against it was it was too far from downtown....most cities airport are. An airport in the Teays Valley area would be 20 minutes from downtown Charleston. For reference, Denver's airport is 40 minutes outside of the city, not something uncommon at all. It would definitely make the I-64 expansion a larger priority as well. Another benefit...

Old 03-30-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post

Yeager has somewhere around 200k enplanements. Tri-State has somewhere around 100k. A regional airport could easily see over 500k enplanements/year (possibly a lot more) with more destinations, larger planes, and ultimately cheaper fares. People drive to Cincinnati, Columbus, or Pittsburgh just to get much cheaper flights when going longer distances across the country. That shouldn't have to happen. I remember one argument that Charleston had against it was it was too far from downtown....most cities airport are. An airport in the Teays Valley area would be 20 minutes from downtown Charleston. For reference, Denver's airport is 40 minutes outside of the city, not something uncommon at all. It would definitely make the I-64 expansion a larger priority as well. Another benefit...
I completely agree. I've pondered at times as to how either airport will expand, Tri-State and Yeager. They are both up on hills and it's not like you can just create "more hill" for runway space; well you could but I can't imagine that would be cheap. Also, Yeager had that hillside incident recently, so it may not even be safe to consider something like that for them and I bet the Tri-State's would be no walk in the park either.

I mean isn't it inevitable at this point that an airport with more space be built? Both airports are expanding, and so something must give. Let's just say 50 years from now, the times have changed by some act of God (or whatever you believe in lol), and Huntington and Charleston both have about 100,000 people each (which could mean over a million people between both metros). There is NO WAY that those two dinky airports can support that much potential air traffic with small jets and prop planes.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 AM

13,265 posts, read 12,304,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
This ^^^^

I don't think it's quite fair to characterize the issue as one where the airport would be built if only Charleston would go along with it.

I think the problem is one of scope. Combining the services at Tri-State and Yeager is still not enough to come close to equaling the service at, say, Columbus. I don't know if it would make it big enough to get the ticket prices down, but I think Putnam County is the wrong place to build such an airport. It would need to be built in Ripley and also bring in all the traffic from Parkersburg. In order to make that work, you would need to build an Interstate-equivalent highway directly from the Huntington area to Ripley.

If you could combine all the traffic from THREE airports, you might be able to make it work, but that means you absolutely MUST close all the of the old airports once this new one is up and running, and previous discussing have included keeping the old airports open for private aviation and (possibly) for the Air Guard.

Use that big flat place up on the hill for a new Wal-Mart or something.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:15 AM

249 posts, read 207,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't think it's quite fair to characterize the issue as one where the airport would be built if only Charleston would go along with it.

I think the problem is one of scope. Combining the services at Tri-State and Yeager is still not enough to come close to equaling the service at, say, Columbus. I don't know if it would make it big enough to get the ticket prices down, but I think Putnam County is the wrong place to build such an airport. It would need to be built in Ripley and also bring in all the traffic from Parkersburg. In order to make that work, you would need to build an Interstate-equivalent highway directly from the Huntington area to Ripley.

If you could combine all the traffic from THREE airports, you might be able to make it work, but that means you absolutely MUST close all the of the old airports once this new one is up and running, and previous discussing have included keeping the old airports open for private aviation and (possibly) for the Air Guard.

Use that big flat place up on the hill for a new Wal-Mart or something.
So you're rather get the Parkersburg market instead of Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky with Ashland, Ironton & Portsmouth? Ripley is far enough that many from Huntington west would just go to Lexington, Columbus or Cincinnati.

The plan for Putman Co was perfect. It would do wonders for Huntington and Charleston but Charleston fought it to save Yeager. They blew it. I just pray another opportunity comes up again in my lifetime.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:32 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,764,764 times
Here's a nice article from 2002 about the history of the proposed Regional Airport. Even though I wish it wasn't the case, history shows that the hold up has always been those connected to Yeager Airport.

Welcome to the Huntington Quarterly Online

Quote:
It could have been averted if Huntington and Charleston had seized their opportunity to build a new regional airport in the 1960s - the "Midway Jetport," as it was called then. And it still can be reversed, if the two communities can take advantage of the second chance that's been given us and get behind the current proposal for a new regional airport.
In a January 1992 report to the West Virginia Public Port Authority, a consultant labeled a new regional airport "warranted and feasible." And after looking at more than 40 possible sites, the Port Authority selected one in Lincoln County, just a few miles south of Interstate 64 and roughly equidistant between Huntington and Charleston.

But today, nearly a decade later, the proposed regional airport still remains under study, a process that's been needlessly lengthened by lawsuits and other roadblocks that have been thrown up at every opportunity by Yeager Airport, which is fiercely opposed to any new airport.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Here's a nice article from 2002 about the history of the proposed Regional Airport. Even though I wish it wasn't the case, history shows that the hold up has always been those connected to Yeager Airport.

Welcome to the Huntington Quarterly Online
So maybe it's unfair to say that Charleston didn't want it, but more accurate to say that Yeager doesn't want it.

Is Yeager actually owed by Charleston? If so, then maybe the city would be responsible.

I admit that I know very little about this. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything to begin with. Sorry about that. Lol

Old 03-31-2016, 01:43 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,666,962 times
Also something to remember, Toyota originally wanted to build their factory inside Cabell County in the Culloden area but the residents were against it being built "in their backyards". Maybe it worked out for the best since the plant is closer to Columbus and the midwest markets but it's fun to think about what could have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington