Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 10:27 PM

73 posts, read 83,496 times

Advertisements

This whole area of Hal Greer just bums me out. Rule #1 of My Theory of Urban Development: you cannot legislate human behavior. The city can install a stop light, hell, they can install 100 lights, but people are still going to walk where they want to get where they're going. I drive to work this way every day, and I still see people walking all over the place to get from point A to B across the street. They are NOT going to go all the way to that corner, push the button, then walk half a block back to get to McDonalds. What would have been the best idea would have been to study the corner at the McDonalds/hospital entrance and redesign the traffic pattern there, not just put a random stop at a corner that NO ONE USED FOR CROSSING in the first place.

IMO, the corner at Charleston Ave would best be served by redesigning it as a roundabout, so that frequent traffic on Hal Greer can keep moving and the infrequent traffic from Charleston can just jump in, spin around and move through. Those two lights are dangerous and stupid. Ditto 10th Ave.

And on the pedestrian bridge: it will meet the same fate (useless) unless they erect a 6 foot wall on both sides of the street to keep people from crossing under it. No one in WV will walk uphill for anything.

And on a side note: if Cabell-HTS doesn't do something about the tragedy that is the Smoking White Trash Show that greets everyone coming into town from the interstate, I'm going to freak out. My last letter to them was replied to with a form letter. That was two years ago after I saw a man in a hospital gown, with an IV pole, smoking IN THE SNOW.

Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
The sidewalk is public property so CHH can't do much about stopping it. Even if the city would adopt a city wide smoking ban in public places, do we really want law enforcement using their time to stop smokers? I think their time can be better used.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:04 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,949,212 times
The hospital is actually putting a fence up that will keep people off of the curbs and only allow them to cross at Boulevard Ave or either end of the hospital. You'll still be able to see them though. Last I heard they already had the fence but were waiting on DOH permits, etc.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 PM

73 posts, read 83,496 times
What I wish is that the hospital would establish their smoking area under a covered portion of the hospital somewhere in the rear of the hospital. Give them some cover from the elements and some seats and keep the sidewalks clear. I am well aware that trying to enact a public smoking ban would be complete folly in a state where over 30% of the population smokes.

If they are doing fencing, at least it will stop everyone from having to stop at the lights AND for the jaywalkers.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:53 AM

Agreed. Hopefully it will cut down on the jaywalkers before there are more accidents.

Maybe with the new parking garage being built, a smoking section can be established/created somewhere around that area.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:20 AM

A new sidewalk repair pilot program has started. Hopefully this will help repair some of the bigger problem areas around town.

Public Works Department launches sidewalk repair pilot program | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 09-15-2016, 06:36 AM

The sidewalk repair program sounds like a good opportunity to use prisoners for labor, like how the WV DOH pays them for litter removal.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:44 AM

Progress being made on better bike and pedestrian policies and signage:

Officials outline ideas for making city more bicycle, pedestrian friendly | Features/Entertainment | herald-dispatch.com

Old 09-29-2016, 08:56 PM

Here's our answer on what they might do at the intersection of Columbia and Hal Greer:

Input sought on Hal Greer pedestrian crossing | News | herald-dispatch.com

A new grant was awarded for the Coalfield Development Corp:

Huntington celebrates solar industry job growth | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 09-30-2016, 07:42 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Here's our answer on what they might do at the intersection of Columbia and Hal Greer:

Input sought on Hal Greer pedestrian crossing | News | herald-dispatch.com

A new grant was awarded for the Coalfield Development Corp:

Huntington celebrates solar industry job growth | News | herald-dispatch.com
Danish crossing, for sure. There's obviously a need, but not enough demand for a pedestrian signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington