U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 08:22 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,764,764 times

Advertisements

The Danish crossing sounds the best but at the same time, how will that be effected by the turn lane there? That turn lane stays very busy at peak times and often backs up, making crossing there difficult. Some times it actually even backs up because it's a short lane and lots of people want to either turn east toward the hospital or west toward the Byrd Center. People will lose their minds if their turn lane is messed with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 10:59 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,666,962 times
How about building the long talked about pedestrian bridge for Hal Greer? Seems like a better solution.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:58 AM

The pedestrian bridge would be a much better solution but a much more expensive one as well. I think funding was the big hold up. Even though most of the funding was already raised, I believe costs soon went up.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:37 AM

530 posts, read 494,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The pedestrian bridge would be a much better solution but a much more expensive one as well. I think funding was the big hold up. Even though most of the funding was already raised, I believe costs soon went up.
Yes, let's be clear...funding (federal and state) was secured for this project many years ago and somehow the money was squandered and in my opinion, never explained by our officials. I feel like this should be a much bigger part of the story but of course, our local media will not keep them honest and ask the tough questions.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:57 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,666,962 times
If the stance being presented for these improvements is one of pedestrian safety then the issue of funding is a moot point. Because you can't put a price tag on the cost of a life.

If CHH is so concerned about the safety of their employees, patients and visitors crossing Hal Greer Blvd then they should be leading the charge in raising the necessary funding, or closing the funding gap, to complete the pedestrian bridge project. The traffic flow on that part of Hal Greer is already frustrating and lacking in flow. The last thing that needs to be done is installing more traffic lights or building a median waiting area so the pedestrians are stranded in the middle of traffic.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:41 AM

Here's the article about the pedestrian improvements. They also mention the bridge at the end and they note that this is this short term fix and the bridge may still happen.

DOH looking at ways to make Hal Greer Boulevard safer for pedestrians

Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 PM

Huntington receives $200,000 in anonymous donations to help move the city forward!

Donation Made to Huntington Police Department | Huntington News

Huntington Council Passes Demolition of Properties | Huntington News

Old 10-14-2016, 10:56 AM

567 posts, read 534,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post

I saw this. These had to be by the same person/company right? Given the timing of both and the exact same dollar amount....

And any idea who it was? I have my suspicions

Old 10-17-2016, 11:07 AM

I would imagine the donations came from the same place. I've not seen any indication as to who it was actually from. There's a lot of people with money in town but some are a little more community minded than others which narrows it down.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:44 PM

HMDA is establishing a Butterfly garden in unusable space at Kinetic Park with donations and volunteer work. They are also attempting to expand the PATH through that area as well. That would be great for connectivity.

Kinetic Park spreading its wings with butterfly sanctuary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington