U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 09:12 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,270,674 times

Advertisements

It can actually work. There is a developer doing something similar in Wheeling with positive results. That's a great idea if they can pull it off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 11:31 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,764,764 times
Keith Albee receives a $250,000 grant:

$250K grant to help refurbish Keith-Albee | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 02-28-2017, 09:19 PM

941 posts, read 1,192,386 times
Well here you go. This is the University Park Development Proposal. The picture was taken by someone at a meeting, so the quality isn't so great. I got this from the Downtown Huntington Facebook page. A baseball stadium, likely independent from MU (via the FB source), opens the door for a minor league team in Huntington. I think that, along with all of the mixed use property, makes this quite a nice proposal. Hopefully, it actually comes to fruition.

Last edited by PynballWyzyrd; 02-28-2017 at 09:33 PM..

Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 AM

Here is the associated HD article: Plan for Huntington brownfield properties unveiled | News | herald-dispatch.com
The PowerPoint presentation is here: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...69b257.pdf.pdf

These have detailed plans for all of the brownfields in between MU and Highlawn. It seems more expansive than I honestly thought that it would be.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:29 AM

It all sounds great! The only thing I would question is whether that is the best location for the baseball field. I would think having it right on Third Ave would be a little better for visibility, advertising, etc. This location wouldn't be bad though. Now, let's hope it all comes to fruition.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 AM

249 posts, read 207,888 times
I like the idea of the baseball field right by the river with some green space around it. Hope I see this happen in my lifetime.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,097,585 times
My praises and critiques of the plan, starting with the critiques:
  • I'm not wild about the idea of only the restaurant going in by the water plant. It'd be a destination itself, sure, but other uses adjacent would help.
  • I'd like to see a more dedicated expansion of McClelland Park than the little parcel they added. I know slopes could be an issue, but it would be a good idea to have one branded "McClelland Park" from the existing one all the way to the water plant.
  • I know it wasn't technically part of the plan, but the water plant itself could be incorporated better (I'm a sucker for civic works as public spaces).
  • I'd rather the baseball field where the multipurpose fields are, too. My guess is they recommended this configuration to add parking.
  • Speaking of the ballpark, I'd like to see some incorporation of a portion of the old Le John/McGinnis building into the design of the ballpark.
  • Lastly, and this is minor, it bugs me that they didn't propose aligning the 2nd Ave. Extension with Collis Ave. I get that they're preserving that ACF building, but it's annoying.

Now for the praises:
  • The addition and reuse of the buildings and spaces along 3rd Ave are a welcomed sight. That will help hem that expanse in a bit while connecting to the existing campus better.
  • Parking is well-situated. I don't even hate the surface parking by the ballpark (though a higher use may be developed in the distant future).
  • The hotel is in a perfect spot, and hopefully the open space in front of it will bode well for tailgates.
  • The northwest building of that residential area would be a perfect spot for a Wrigleyville-style rooftop bar and stands.
  • PATH extension!
  • I'm a fan of the subtle dampening of the track curve currently at the end of Oley St. That allows for a larger parcel behind the proposed restaurant for outdoor events.
  • Street-end parks/overlooks. I'm a sucker for those, too.
  • Adaptive reuse of the Liggett & Myers Building as a creative incubator (whatever that would mean). Be still my heart.

Overall, I'm a fan of this plan. It's hard to go too wrong with such a blank slate, except where uses are limited environmentally. I'd urge the City to work with WVAW in the future to better incorporate the water pant with the park/PATH expansion, and I'd potentially rethink the ballpark siting. (Though, with that configuration, they could use a double-stack container car as the batter's eye!)

Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork304 View Post
I like the idea of the baseball field right by the river with some green space around it. Hope I see this happen in my lifetime.
This would be great if they put in a removable floodwall section by the field. Otherwise, the floodwall would block any good view of the river.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:39 AM

Ok so I'm going to do something similar to what elewis7 did above:

Criticisms
  • No, I don't like the placement of the baseball park either. I have always envisioned it in the same place that everyone else has. I also think that it would make the most sense in that spot (bewteen 3rd and 5th on the east side of the tracks).
  • I'm not a fan of Huntington Steel being directly across from the baseball park. I'd much prefer that at least two of the four sides of the park be bordered by dense mixed-use property.
  • I hate the parking lots. All of them. I can live with the lots by the adaptive reuse properties, but the two just northeast of the ballpark have got to go. They are bigger than the ballpark itself! I understand that people have to park somewhere, so let's turn those lots into parking garages with retail at street level. Or better yet, make the lots completely internal and/or underground, where they cannot be seen and take up less space. The dumb thing is that you know that they thought about it because they have mixed parking in the multi-family residential complex. Lastly, the lot across from Dot Hicks would be much better as a mixed-use property. It just seems like it was placed there out of laziness. Seems to be a lack of creativity.
  • The restaurant/bar is weird being away from everything. It's kind of like how Holderby's Landing or Schrooners used to be. That kind of isolation isn't good for business. However, it would work if those parking lots were actually being used for something. Hmmmmm
  • That 2nd Ave extension is going to create some interesting traffic problems at the Collis Ave intersection. It will be like that goofy intersection that we have on Hal Greer.
  • They didn't show any close-up detail on the new buildings west of Dot Hicks. I know that it's suppose to be retail and a Hotel/Conference center, but everything there still seems vague.
  • There is no main retail corridor. There should be a retail corridor with shops, restaurants, bars, etc. lining the street from end to end with no breaks in the structure. This is where people will hang out around game time for both football, baseball, and basketball seasons. It would make the most sense for something like this to be on the new Stadium Blvd in between the new 2nd ave and current 3rd ave. You would have visibility from the 3rd ave main artery and it would lead directly to the stadium. I understand that retail, and etc., is there but it needs to be concentrated to create a great ambiance. Like a miniature Wrigleyville.
  • The sports complex expansion just seems like filler to me. Just like, "throw some green stuff there."

Complements
  • I like how the ballpark is close to and facing the river. I can imagine watching a game there and looking out over the river and the hills in Ohio. However, I think that if they had to have in over in that area, then it should be in the lots on the other side of the tracks. You could have an extension of the commercial lane that I mentioned before. It could come diagonally from the intersection of Stadium Blvd and 2nd ave, leading directly to the park's plaza and entrance.
  • I love that someone has finally suggested stormwater management planting. It looks nice and maybe it will help curb the terrible flooding in that part of town.
  • The PolyTech center looks awesome and I don't have any problems with it. I love the Riverview avenue extension. Finally, we might have some more usable waterfront parks and roadways. Even though this extension seems to be mainly parking space for those who will work at the research center.
  • Parks, parks, and more parks. Can't get enough.
  • PATH extension is always welcomed!
  • It seems like they were hinting at repurposing one of the industrial buildings as a farmer's market. That would be awesome! It would be so nice to have a market on par with Charleston's Capital Market or Wheeling's Centre Market.
  • I like the plaza out in front of the stadium. Like I said before, creating ambiance plays a key role in placemaking.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 AM

Nice update on downtown redevelopment:

Downtown Huntington revitalization continues | News | herald-dispatch.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington