Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 06:34 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times

Advertisements

That would be cool to see but I'd imagine the liability insurance would be insane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 08:28 AM

632 posts, read 832,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Random pie-in-the-sky thought. What do you all think about an outdoor climbing wall on the west side of the Coal Exchange Building?

There's a hotel in Reno Nevada, The Whitney Peak, that has an outdoor climbing wall that goes up one of the building's end walls. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/whitn...otel_n_5445129

Obviously, this is just a random thought since I don't own the Coal Exchange Building, but it seems like an idea that could work in Huntington and help draw people back to downtown. While not the same, we've seen the outdoor rappelling performed from the top of the West Virginia Building. So this type of activity wouldn't be new to the city.
I think that's a little excessive. The city needs to move forward with the plans for Harris Riverfront Park. You can add a climbing wall down there if you want one. Columbus has one in one of the downtown metroparks https://www.metroparks.net/parks-and...cioto-audubon/

Old 09-08-2020, 04:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
I think that's a little excessive. The city needs to move forward with the plans for Harris Riverfront Park. You can add a climbing wall down there if you want one. Columbus has one in one of the downtown metroparks https://www.metroparks.net/parks-and...cioto-audubon/
The two are separate from one another since the city doesn't own the Coal Exchange building. The building's new owner would need to take on the project.

I do agree that the city needs to move forward with the Riverfront Park plans. It's been close to five years since the original announcement. Given the way this administration over promises, I've given up on the project.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
That would be cool to see but I'd imagine the liability insurance would be insane!
The wall is just the outside portion of a larger gym/climbing wall located inside the hotel. The inside portion is around 7,000 sq ft.

BaseCamp Climbing Gym - Reno, NV - at Whitney Peak Hotel

Old 09-10-2020, 04:10 AM

Update on the ACF site:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/busi...2d8c47671.html

Old 09-11-2020, 07:18 AM

632 posts, read 832,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The two are separate from one another since the city doesn't own the Coal Exchange building. The building's new owner would need to take on the project.

I do agree that the city needs to move forward with the Riverfront Park plans. It's been close to five years since the original announcement. Given the way this administration over promises, I've given up on the project.
That's Steve Williams' favorite thing to do. Just say a bunch of random crap that will get people talking and never follow through. It's great to have ideas. Executing those ideas is the issue

Old 10-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Boy, this forum has gone quiet over the last month.

Here's the story regarding the renovation to the arena plaza. https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...4e461da47.html

Considering this project only took a year to come about, compared to the still counting five years and waiting for the riverfront renovation, it makes you wonder how it came together so quickly. Hopefully it's not a waste of money.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:13 PM

14 posts, read 9,585 times
Anyone know what’s going on right across the river in Ohio where they’re blasting the top that hill?

Old 10-26-2020, 03:21 PM

Another 119 homes are slated to be torn down through the city's 'Unsafe Building's List.'

https://www.wsaz.com/2020/10/26/wsaz...ek2TlhlMJGcBBU

I couldn't find anything with a Google search, but does anyone know if the city publishes this list? A GIS type map would be useful for the citizens to look for the status of a structure and the lot afterward.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:10 AM

I haven’t seen any list but I’m sure that the city would have them listed through the unsafe building commission. This is great progress though and it would be nice to see what tearing these houses down has done for property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington