Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to tell some here for some time that this is where your future lies, but not getting much interest. You really should change priorities there, stop spending all your political capital trying to irrationally grow Marshall (that isn't going to result in many jobs) and shift the focus to getting Route 2 upgraded to Chester, and improve transferability options for river to rail too. You're not going to get a lot of direct play from the oil and gas development. Yours will be on the transport end, and it will make a huge difference for your area if you get on board with transportation development. Wait too long, and it will be the Ohio Side that sees the major uptick.

Wayne County facility to bring jobs* - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,062,431 times
Sorry CT, we should have been listening to you instead of arguing for the sake of arguing. It would have made a huge difference in the outcome of this intermodal facility. Which is already set to bring thousands of jobs. ~end sarcasm~

This really is good news to see some economic growth outside of the medical and education. The economy needs to continue to diversify tremendously in this area.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Sorry CT, we should have been listening to you instead of arguing for the sake of arguing. It would have made a huge difference in the outcome of this intermodal facility. Which is already set to bring thousands of jobs. ~end sarcasm~

This really is good news to see some economic growth outside of the medical and education. The economy needs to continue to diversify tremendously in this area.
You're missing my point. They can do a whole lot more with this if they plan properly, and if the highway infrastructure is put in place. Not all of those materials are going to be going by train, and they improve their position greatly if they get better highway connections up and down the Ohio Valley. Route 2 is a joke compared with what they have on the Ohio side up and down the valley. They've been so busy building roads to nowhere that they could miss out on a lot of development.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 AM

4,947 posts, read 8,922,386 times
I've touted this Intermodal Facility on here anytime there was news. I know it's a big deal and the potential for new jobs is great. You haven't been saying anything we don't already know. And the materials you are talking about could more easily move by barge down the Ohio river.

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunti...2-million.html

Any growth here should be multifaceted though and that includes Marshall. The ironic thing about your statement is that the Rahal Transportation Institute that is a vital part of making the Intermodal Facility happen is part of Marshall.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/RTI-Rah...43652225669316

Last edited by tbailey1138; 01-03-2014 at 03:57 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 06:51 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,138,527 times
I agree Bailey. Having Marshall and the Rahal Transportation Institute involved with these types of projects is important.

This facility will benefit all 3 States in the Tri-State area and could help rebound the economy for the entire region.

Some people just don't want to see any other school besides WVU succeed.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 AM

941 posts, read 1,351,479 times
Yeah there are actually a few threads where many of us talk about how big of a deal this is for the Tri-State area. Upgrading Route 2 is a nice thought and is something that should be looked at in the future, but it isn't number one priority.

For everyone reading this, please keep in mind that though we can benefit from the carbon-based gold that is natural resources, we must be careful not to become too dependent. Otherwise we would just be repeating events from our past. Natural resources are a means to an end. For the future of the Huntington area to be centered around such a prospect is short sighted and many people realize that. This is especially true for those who grew up around the aftermath of the over-dependence of natural resources (you can include industrialism in this as well).

Huntington is trying to invest itself in safer endeavors. Sustainability is the goal here. The intermodal facility is very important for future growth and will become an economic force in the area. If it is only used for the transportation of natural resources, or anything related, then we are doomed from the start. If they are to get the most use out of this thing then they should think outside of the box.

The intermodal facility will most likely be used to supplement current industries and businesses in the Tri-State. Hopefully, it will attract more as well. Keeping in mind that all of this is to further fund more sustainable efforts.

With all of this said, we should certainly upgrade route 2 before Ohio takes advantage of it, but only when the time is right. If Ohio beats us to it, then "oh well." We have other investments to fall back on.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM

708 posts, read 1,154,495 times
And this project is major part of getting King Coal/Tolsia/I-73/74 highway built thru the Southwest corner of the state as well. Once Route 52 is four lanes from Huntington to Pritchard to Williamson to Welch to Bluefield is built it will be a economic catalyst. The Pritchard section four lane has been built for several years now awaiting this intermodal facility.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I've touted this Intermodal Facility on here anytime there was news. I know it's a big deal and the potential for new jobs is great. You haven't been saying anything we don't already know. And the materials you are talking about could more easily move by barge down the Ohio river.

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunti...2-million.html

Any growth here should be multifaceted though and that includes Marshall. The ironic thing about your statement is that the Rahal Transportation Institute that is a vital part of making the Intermodal Facility happen is part of Marshall.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/RTI-Rah...43652225669316
I don't think I ever criticized the Transportation Institute. In fact, I see that as a very logical area for Marshall involvement. I have no idea where you ever got that idea.

Since you know so much about transportation, I have a question for you. Are you certain it would be more feasible to transport all those raw materials to Wayne County from upstream via barge, loading and unloading all of them to rail cars when there is no provision being made to do that in your current plans? At least I did not see them mentioned anywhere. I suppose if they want to keep Huntington isolated from civilization by insuring there is no adequate highway link, that would be okay with everyone else, but it is difficult to understand the logic being employed there.

You see, here's the thing, Tim... there is going to be a lot more than just processed oil and gas that comes from the north of Huntington. There will be dozens of spin off factories located near the source of that material that will be making products not suitable for barge transport. You're going to want to get that moved via your Intermodal as well.

And, this expensive Marshall expansionist mindset you believe to be so profitable for Huntington. Since enrollment is actually down by a full 2% in spite of millions in spending, and even the school's faculty says it is ridiculous, how is that working out for you? How many jobs have been created in Huntington from that? You see, in my view higher education expansion is driven by demand and demonstrated need... not by pie in the sky speculation that actually ends up harming out state's higher education system. The state had more than adequate resources already in place for that purpose.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 01-03-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 04:49 PM

I never said that you criticized the Rahall Transportation Institute. My comment about irony was the fact that you said this:
Quote:
stop spending all your political capital trying to irrationally grow Marshall
Now if Marshall had done that and stopped trying to grow, the Rahall Transportation Institute would likely have never been created and we may not even have the Intermodal Facility. And at the same time, had Marshall not created those new degree offerings, the losses in enrollment would likely have been greater. Degrees in Healthcare and Engineering are consistently listed among those with the highest demand. For Marshall not to adapt their offerings to meet the demands of the future would be idiotic. That's what they call meeting demand, just as you suggest. And correct me if I'm wrong, but WVU lost about 1% of their enrollment as well. Where is your criticism of their new degree offerings? And please, don't turn this into yet ANOTHER diatribe about your hatred for Marshall and your disdain for their growth.

With regards to the transportation, I never said an upgrade to Route 2 is not needed or warranted nor did I say it was a bad idea. Our state's transportation priorities have already been set for the next several years and to my knowledge, widening Route 2 is not on that list. That means we have to work with what we currently have. Semi Trucks currently use Route 2, or they have the option of taking I-77 to I-64 to get from Parkersburg to Huntington. The time is about the same. Huntington is no where near isolated and we aren't talking about a new road here, just widening an existing one. This Intermodal facility is being built where it is because of the transportation assets the Huntington area currently has, River, Rail and Road. Many different types of materials already travel up and down the river via barge, which is part of why Huntington is the largest inland part in the US. And given that Ashland Oil currently transports some barges from the Ohio to the Big Sandy, this may be an option at the Intermodal Facility as well.

The whole reason the intermodal facility is being placed where it is was planned entirely for the transport of items to and from the rail road. The plans include Warehouses for storage as well as quick transport to I-64 and I-73/74 once completed. The leaders of The City of Huntington have also planned for growth from this. This is part of their West End Revitalization plan as well as some of the plans for reuse the old Industrial Sites. HADCO and the HMDA are currently working to plan for this as well. So there is a lot of planning going into this from multiple agencies, municipalities and various modes of transportation. For you to act like it will fail solely because Route 2 isn't 4 lanes is a bit silly. Plus, if the other pieces fall into place, traffic studies will likely be done and warrant widening of Route 2 if the numbers are there. This would be much smarter than widening it because of other things that haven't even happened. The Cracker Plant is 5 years or more away, if it even happens. If the state spent millions widening Route 2 for this and then the Cracker didn't happen, I'm willing to bet that you'd be among the first to criticize them for their "pie in the sky" expansion.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:58 PM

Nice post by the way Pynball. I agree entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington