Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 11:36 AM

57 posts, read 98,349 times

Advertisements

I am married to a WV hillbilly (he doesn't mind me calling him that, he teases me back about being a worthless Buckeye) 34 years ago, love him more after we married and feel blessed to have him.

We live in South Point, OH. We are hoping to move away from this area. We are looking to moving out west, however, we are look for another area around here just in case we can't afford the move. I don't want Huntington, too many homes and we want in the rural area. Barboursville is one area we are checking out.

Also, the taxes there, city taxes, flood taxes and I don't know what else that is charged. For those with good income they can afford it, but he doesn't make that kinda of income.

So, what type of taxes besides property taxes, and how high are those? What are the charges for water, sewage, trash in Barboursville area?
Right now in South Point our house values at $158,000 and our property taxes are $2,000. The house is old, very little insulation, only central air/heat pump for air and heat and that is LOUSY for the winters we have been having. Electric bill for last three winters has been $600-800 and summer is from $400-500. The humidity is what is getting to us and the cold with the wind chills. We rent to own, and all expenses, taxes and such are ours and we don't want to have to add a new heating system (ours is 11 years old) or replace any of the single pane windows (half are single pane).
South Point gets more wind, not as many hills to help block the wind. Other areas might get more snow but we don't mind the snow, it is the wind chill. People are nice here, friendly, kids are adults now so we don't know much about the schools. Two small plazas and such are close by, all within approx. 5 -10 minute drive. Wal-Mart is just 4 miles away.

We want a newer home, smaller size (1,400 - 1,600 sq ft) and newer built, not 1954. We need a three bedroom and two bath. And a fairly nice size yard for our dogs.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 PM

4,936 posts, read 8,887,621 times
Barboursville itself has lots of older, smaller homes in the city proper with newer houses spread throughout. Taxes aren't bad in the village and utilities are pretty cheap as well. They handle their own trash and I can't remember the rate but it used to be very minimal. Barboursville City limits are quite small though so if you live in one of the surrounding areas, you are likely to get newer construction and your utilities will be handled differently. Cost of electricity will depend on how old the house is, how well it was built, if it has gas and/or electricity and how high you keep your temperature. In terms of convenience, there won't be too many places that you can walk to but just about everything you would need is just a short 5-10 min drive away. Here are some links that you might find useful. I hope this helps some.

Barboursville, West Virginia - The Best Little Village in the State

Cabell County Assessor's Office

Barboursville, WV Electricity Rates | Electricity Local
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington