Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 06:45 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times

Advertisements

That is interesting about hhgregg considering that I've been seeing more advertisements for them on TV and they're set to sponsor an Indy Car team full time this season.

I know that we all like online shopping but when it gets to a point of costing people their jobs, even the lower paying jobs, we need to step back and examine our society. Maybe it's time we put some new convenience charges, or something similar, on online purchases so that the playing field is closer to level for brick and mortar stores. Perhaps this new charge could go into a fund that is then evenly distributed to brick and mortar stores as a way to supplement their operations.

Personally, I would rather shop in a store because you can actually see and examine the goods before you buy them. It's frustrating when you buy something online only to find out it doesn't fit or whatever and then you have to ship it back and go through that process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 06:52 AM

530 posts, read 589,412 times
And it's mid-March and still not a single announcement about anything from the developer. Unbelievable.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
And it's mid-March and still not a single announcement about anything from the developer. Unbelievable.
I don't think they're picking on you. The same company isn't announcing anything around Morgantown either. They are just playing it close to the vest.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:54 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,526 times
That developer is SLOW and bad at communicating things. In addition to the new shopping center on the west side of the highway in Morgantown, they are building more spots on the east side. No announcements or anything but they just put up a for lease sign for one of the new sections and in the top left corner is a little spot (easy to miss while driving unless you look right at it) that says coming soon Panda Express. They can't even make the signs correctly, wouldn't you think you would make the coming soon part very prominent?!?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 AM

Yes, sounds like they are pretty terrible all the way around at communicating. You would think that it would be advantageous for a real estate development firm to have a good PR department. I do believe they handled their development called "The Falls" in TN a little more aggressively, at least in terms of updating and press releases, etc. Part of that may be the news media in that area expect more and demand more and actually dig deep for information, something our local media doesn't know anything about.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
They may also have certain language in their contracts/agreements about when and how they can release information. They may even put the responsibility on the other business.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if they are keeping a tight lid on things given the bumpy nature and atmosphere around brick and mortar stores right now. Sears is closing, Macy's is closing stores, Gander Mountain is closing stores. This is just speculation but maybe they had someone signed who has now backed out or whatever and they would rather not have retract a release or have to send out multiple releases.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM

456 posts, read 602,624 times
the report on February 3rd in the paper said announcements coming in a couple weeks well 6 weeks later still nothing. I would just say they aren't a very organized organization and they probably have had people back out because they can't get anything done. is site preparation coming along at all. anything on the road part. They don't even have a site for there Morgantown development anymore. 3 months in maintenance and now they say someone else is doing the site . I'm not setting my goals high for any of their developments at this point.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
the report on February 3rd in the paper said announcements coming in a couple weeks well 6 weeks later still nothing. I would just say they aren't a very organized organization and they probably have had people back out because they can't get anything done. is site preparation coming along at all. anything on the road part. They don't even have a site for there Morgantown development anymore. 3 months in maintenance and now they say someone else is doing the site . I'm not setting my goals high for any of their developments at this point.
Yes, for me that's what is frustrating is they put out false hopes and act like they will have information coming out soon and it just hasn't ever happened. They have cut down a lot of trees but that's about it; doesn't look like they've hauled the trees off the property and no other noticeable site prep so far. And of course, nothing with the roads either. The site plan has certainly become much less exciting so I'm not getting my hopes up any more.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:01 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
This is entirely possible, or maybe the developer has run into financial difficulties and doesn't want to broadcast it?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:36 AM

If things do not really take off and get to moving quickly and in a positive direction this spring, I'm afraid this development will be a massive flop. I can't imagine at this point that businesses and potential tenants would have any confidence in this developer or proposed development. Also, as someone else has mentioned, the developer hasn't even been able to keep the Merritt's Creek Shopping Center at full capacity, so I'm not sure how they plan on filling up a much larger development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington