Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 05:06 AM

530 posts, read 585,646 times

Advertisements

Big article on Tanyard Station in this morning's HD. Most of it just summarizing what we already know, but one specific part is newsworthy...

Quote:
I will say there are several that are nationally known stores and not ones that are currently in this area. We've got a grocery store that would be new to the state. I think when people start to see the specific names that are going to be really excited about it.
So, based on this, I think we can scratch Aldi as being the grocery store (thankfully) and I would go back to thinking that Trader Joe's is the most likely. Also, now they are back to calling it a 400,000 sq. Ft development. I have a feeling that the site plan online is not the actual plan we are going to get which in my opinion, would be a good thing. I say this because, they continue to say there will be a hotel in the development and current live site plan does not demonstrate a hotel, whereas previous versions of the site plan have.

Retail development to be one of county's largest | News | herald-dispatch.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,127,846 times
It could be a Trader Joe's.

Personally I would rather have Aldi over TJ but a lot of people like the hype of TJ and it would probably draw well in that location.

Safeway has a mid-atlantic presence but I would guess they would be a long shot to be the proposed grocery store. The same for Whole Foods.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:23 AM

Trader Joe's would certainly be a much bigger draw than Aldi, especially being the first in the state. Would create a lot more excitement. The Mayor did also mention several other businesses that would be new to the area so that would be great.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM

251 posts, read 258,434 times
I am hoping for a Trader Joe's because names like that draw other businesses to the area as well as more shoppers that don't want to drive to Lexington just to shop there. That said, it could also be a Lidl. They are building stores up and down the east coast. They currently have plans in just about every state surrounding WV except KY I believe. Lidl is very similar to Aldi. It's a German grocer that is very popular in Europe.

I hope this article is right. We really need some NEW names in the area. Something other than another Taco Bell or mattress store. We don't need another place like Lowe's or Home Depot. We need places like Trader Joe's. We need outlets. We need things that will catch the attention of other businesses and draw in shoppers from all of WV, Southern Ohio and Eastern KY. These places won't pay employees lots of money but they will enhance the visibility of this area and create a better landscape for new business that WOULD pay higher wages.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,127,846 times
I would be surprised if Lidl is the grocer just because I last read they are focusing on Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, NJ, and the Carolinas. Obviously there is nothing to stop them from moving into WV I would just expect them to open stores in the Eastern Panhandle first before coming west.

If we are to believe the current site plan, there will be a home improvement store and it looks like it will be Menards.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a shoe store in the complex (DSW, Off Broadway or Rack Room Shoes) or even another hair salon franchise, like Great Clips or Supercuts and maybe a Party City location.

IF Tanyard can land tenants such as Coach, Brookstone, Apple and Eddie Bauer, I think that would be a great coup for them over the Huntington Mall.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,974,334 times
Sounds promising. Just hope that this isn't more propaganda "fluff". But Trader Joe's sounds more like a confirmation now. There really isn't any other options.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:52 PM

Lidl would surprise me as well. I feel that Trader Joe's is certainly to most likely at this point. The Mayor left himself no wiggle room with stating this grocery store would be the first one in WV. I am hoping against hope that the current site plan is not the actual site plan. I would not be excited about another home improvement store - it takes up way too much space between the store itself, the massive parking lot and lumber yard; plus we already have both Lowes and Home Depot within a stone's throw.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 PM

73 posts, read 82,977 times
Before everyone gets all "Trader Joe's is coming", does WV have a Winn-Dixie, Publix or Food Lion? We like to think we'd get a TJ's, but I think they're still a dream. One could also hope Harris-Teeter, but probably not. I think our demographic is still too poor to support anything REALLY good. I'd like to see a World Market.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitler View Post
Before everyone gets all "Trader Joe's is coming", does WV have a Winn-Dixie, Publix or Food Lion? We like to think we'd get a TJ's, but I think they're still a dream. One could also hope Harris-Teeter, but probably not. I think our demographic is still too poor to support anything REALLY good. I'd like to see a World Market.
Yes, there's already a Food Lion in WV. There aren't any Publix stores in the state, but it would certainly be inaccurate to place Publix along the same lines as Food Lion and Winn Dixie. It's more on par with Harris Teeter than those others mentioned and would be a very nice addition to the area, but I would be surprised to see them here and they seem to be primarily expanding across the southeast. Between Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and World Market, Trader Joe's just seems to be the most likely at this point. Would love to see any of those, however.

Last edited by jcesomstudent; 03-22-2017 at 07:07 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 06:16 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,974,334 times
Publix and Winn Dixie are out because of their lack of proximity to their distribution centers. The closest Publix stores are just now opening up in southern VA, and Winn Dixie is further than that. Harris Teeter would also be a stretch, seeing as they are also a very far distance away. Whole Foods is less likely than Trader Joe's because of sufficient income levels that they seek after when placing new stores. Trader Joe's has received the majority of the buzz in the media, and my guess is that it will be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington