Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 06:53 AM

251 posts, read 260,421 times

Advertisements

I love Panda Express...don't get me wrong. That said, have you guys tried China One or #1 Chinese Kitchen? I just can't get as excited about Panda Express with those two places so close by. China One really serves up amazing and fresh Chinese food.

Carrabas or some other Italian place would be good. I think we need a seafood place in Barboursville...maybe a Bonefish Grill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork304 View Post
I love Panda Express...don't get me wrong. That said, have you guys tried China One or #1 Chinese Kitchen? I just can't get as excited about Panda Express with those two places so close by. China One really serves up amazing and fresh Chinese food.
China One is my go-to for take-out in the area. Absolutely love that place.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
China One is my go-to for take-out in the area. Absolutely love that place.
My wife and I love it too because they will literally customize anything. They even make me my egg fried rice which in my life, I've only seen in Chinatown in London.

The coconut shrimp is worth a trip to #1 China Kitchen

That said, I always love the veggies at Panda Express

Old 09-27-2017, 07:01 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
So now that dirt is about to start moving what are your Top 10 hopes for Tanyard and The Crossing? Here are mine:

1. Trader Joe's
2. Bass Pro
3. VIP Cinema
4. Some sort of nice Ice Cream shop
5. Costco
6. Shake Shack
7. Zaxby's
8. Ethnic Restaurant...maybe Jamaican or Brazilian
9. Outlet Mall (Maybe at The Crossing)
10. Nicely landscaped and clean looking. Not just another strip mall.

See...I'm not asking for much, Right?

**Had to edit mine...added Costco** We REALLY need one of those in this area.
Costco could realistically build 3 stores in the state (NCWV, Eastern Panhandle and somewhere between Charleston and Huntington) right now and be super successful, I wish they would expand to our state.

Regarding Bass Pro, those chances may have just gone down again now that Bass Pro and Cabelas have officially merged as of yesterday. If they build a full size Bass Pro at Tanyard or The Crossing, I would imagine they would shut the Cabelas in Charleston down.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Costco could realistically build 3 stores in the state (NCWV, Eastern Panhandle and somewhere between Charleston and Huntington) right now and be super successful, I wish they would expand to our state.

Regarding Bass Pro, those chances may have just gone down again now that Bass Pro and Cabelas have officially merged as of yesterday. If they build a full size Bass Pro at Tanyard or The Crossing, I would imagine they would shut the Cabelas in Charleston down.
That may be the case, but even after Bass Pro bought Cabela's, Bass Pro was still considering both Tanyard and The Crossing...thought The Crossing is looking like the more likely spot now.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
That may be the case, but even after Bass Pro bought Cabela's, Bass Pro was still considering both Tanyard and The Crossing...thought The Crossing is looking like the more likely spot now.
They just officially joined as a company yesterday. There was a 6 month stretch where it really looked like the deal would not happen. If they do end up building, I wouldn't be surprised to see the cabelas store closing then.

Also, easiest way to see if Bass Pro is going to build is watch for public guarantees of money in the millions, no Bass Pro stores get built without tens of millions of dollars from the local community being spent to help them build it (not counting tax agreements, like the animal displays and fish tanks inside are always classified as "park space", so they do not get taxed on that portion of square footage). Also, normally the local community/city is made to guarantee the bonds for the Bass Pro store. It is brilliant on the part of Bass Pro.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 09-27-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 AM

583 posts, read 594,193 times
It wouldn't surprise me to see them put in a new Bass Pro and close that Cabelas. It is not that busy and the coal fields customer Corridor G population has less income now too. But probably the biggest issue is that this isn't a "destination" Cabelas with all the cool stuff like the one in Wheeling where people can literally come spend most of their day inside of. It's nothing more than a glorified Gander Mountain and with the incentives Cabelas got from the state and city its a shame that this is the type of store that they put in. Bottom line a store in Barboursville would pull from more people as well and makes more sense.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see them put in a new Bass Pro and close that Cabelas. It is not that busy and the coal fields customer Corridor G population has less income now too. But probably the biggest issue is that this isn't a "destination" Cabelas with all the cool stuff like the one in Wheeling where people can literally come spend most of their day inside of. It's nothing more than a glorified Gander Mountain and with the incentives Cabelas got from the state and city its a shame that this is the type of store that they put in. Bottom line a store in Barboursville would pull from more people as well and makes more sense.
Agreed. I was really disappointed in the South Charleston Cabela's. I wouldn't feel too bad if it shut down in favor of a full size Bass Pro in Barboursville.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:45 AM

583 posts, read 594,193 times
The public was fed a line of bull regarding the Southridge Cabelas. To anyone that's ever ventured into a real Cabelas it was nothing but a major let down. And what I don't understand and find totally ironic is the politicians say that we need to boost tourism which a real Cabelas does and yet even giving them incentives they built this generic no frills store. I can't understand this state.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:53 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Alamo Drafthouse is great. It actually makes going to the movies enjoyable. I've visited their location out near Dulles a couple times and enjoyed myself. Really any movie theater that has great food and adult beverages wins in my book!

Costco seems like a good fit- I can't figure out why they haven't opened a location in WV.

Bass Pro is probably doubtful with their recent merger, however with the huge population of outdoor enthusiasts in West Virginia there could be some room for one- the closest ones to Huntington would be Cincinnati, Bristol or Charlotte and all of those are quite a hike. The Cabelas in Southridge is definitely on the petite side.

I personally have never understood the hype of Panda Express- Every time I've eaten there (multiple locations) the food was mediocre at best but they do seem to have a following.

Trader Joes is another one that Huntington and/or Charleston should be able to support. Both Lexington and Charlottesville have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington