Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 01:37 PM

251 posts, read 259,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Alamo Drafthouse is great. It actually makes going to the movies enjoyable. I've visited their location out near Dulles a couple times and enjoyed myself. Really any movie theater that has great food and adult beverages wins in my book!

Costco seems like a good fit- I can't figure out why they haven't opened a location in WV.

Bass Pro is probably doubtful with their recent merger, however with the huge population of outdoor enthusiasts in West Virginia there could be some room for one- the closest ones to Huntington would be Cincinnati, Bristol or Charlotte and all of those are quite a hike. The Cabelas in Southridge is definitely on the petite side.

I personally have never understood the hype of Panda Express- Every time I've eaten there (multiple locations) the food was mediocre at best but they do seem to have a following.

Trader Joes is another one that Huntington and/or Charleston should be able to support. Both Lexington and Charlottesville have one.
My wife loves cinemas like that. Her hometown had several of them. She loves them so much I'm taking her to the AMC Dine-In theater in Columbus next weekend.

I agree with all of the rest of what you had to say. Costco, to me is a no-brainer. Would help stop so many West Virginians from driving across the bridge to Sam's.

Trader Joe's is definitely at the top of my list. I would be in there at least once per week if they open in Barboursville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 06:08 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,499,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see them put in a new Bass Pro and close that Cabelas. It is not that busy and the coal fields customer Corridor G population has less income now too. But probably the biggest issue is that this isn't a "destination" Cabelas with all the cool stuff like the one in Wheeling where people can literally come spend most of their day inside of. It's nothing more than a glorified Gander Mountain and with the incentives Cabelas got from the state and city its a shame that this is the type of store that they put in. Bottom line a store in Barboursville would pull from more people as well and makes more sense.

Unfortunately when the economy went south in '08-'09, Cabela's announced they would no longer build "destination" style stores. I don't remember when the Charleston store was built but they could have been included in the post-destination style footprint.

Cabela's just opened a new store in Gainesville, VA (DC metro area) about a year ago. They boasted its location would serve NoVa, Maryland and the the eastern panhandle of WV. I don't have the numbers, but I think that store is even smaller than Charleston.

I've been hoping the eastern panhandle could land Bass Pro. There is TONS of open land at the Spring Mills and Falling Waters interchanges for a destination store plus additional retail. The location off 81 would allow it to draw from VA, MD and PA in addition to locals. Huntington area would benefit in the same way, drawing from OH and KY.

As others have said, with this new merger only time will tell. I've been following this thread quietly from the other end of the state and am hoping for the best on this project.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:26 AM

2,020 posts, read 4,596,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Unfortunately when the economy went south in '08-'09, Cabela's announced they would no longer build "destination" style stores. I don't remember when the Charleston store was built but they could have been included in the post-destination style footprint.

Cabela's just opened a new store in Gainesville, VA (DC metro area) about a year ago. They boasted its location would serve NoVa, Maryland and the the eastern panhandle of WV. I don't have the numbers, but I think that store is even smaller than Charleston.

I've been hoping the eastern panhandle could land Bass Pro. There is TONS of open land at the Spring Mills and Falling Waters interchanges for a destination store plus additional retail. The location off 81 would allow it to draw from VA, MD and PA in addition to locals. Huntington area would benefit in the same way, drawing from OH and KY.

As others have said, with this new merger only time will tell. I've been following this thread quietly from the other end of the state and am hoping for the best on this project.
It was built around the 2011/2012 timeframe so you are correct they were no longer building the huge destination stores- the market across the country for those types of stores had become saturated. You can only sell so many different types of hunting and fishing supplies/ outdoor apparel. And you are correct also on the Gainesville, Virginia store- it is similar size or slightly smaller than the one in Charleston- I see it all the time heading out 66 on my way to the mountains.

Bass Pro would do huge business in the Eastern Panhandle.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 09-28-2017 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-28-2017, 08:26 AM

583 posts, read 585,816 times
It's not about selling space square footage. Stores like the one in Wheeling have walk in aquarium areas, animal diaramas and museums, a shooting gallery(laser targets), a large sit down restaurant and more... basically a place to attract people from the entire region which this area of the state sorely lacks having any attractions like that. Probably half of a store like that one is not even dedicated to retail. Charleston and really the region around it doesn't offer much to entice people to come to the area to do things whether it's retail or tourism.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 AM

6,022 posts, read 9,032,214 times
Cabela's never intended for their store in Charleston to be like their larger store models. Cabela's expanded there footprint with these "smaller" store concepts all over the place. Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati, Louisville, Lexington, etc... all have these types of stores at this size. Cabela's was never aiming to build a mega store, and probably never will. Same goes for Bass Pro who are opening up smaller stores as well all over the place. These stores are meant to be more local/regional than destination stores. The Crossings could support one of these smaller Bass Pro Stores, but not a full fledged one, and definitely not a Cabela's due to the proximity to the Charleston store.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:53 AM

2,020 posts, read 4,596,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
It's not about selling space square footage. Stores like the one in Wheeling have walk in aquarium areas, animal diaramas and museums, a shooting gallery(laser targets), a large sit down restaurant and more... basically a place to attract people from the entire region which this area of the state sorely lacks having any attractions like that. Probably half of a store like that one is not even dedicated to retail. Charleston and really the region around it doesn't offer much to entice people to come to the area to do things whether it's retail or tourism.
True, but are people really visting an area just to go to Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop? I could be missing out but I don't think someone would be more likely to go to the New River Gorge if one was located in Fayetteville. Most of these larger store versions were built in the late 90s/ early 2000s before the Amazon's of the world starting siphoning away customers.

It seems that most are also part of a larger regional attraction that already pulls people in- Bass Pro at Concord Mills Mall outside of Charlotte comes to mind- it's next to the NASCAR track and is in the middle of a massive outlet mall that pulls tens of millions a year. I have a feeling that also might be the reason that a Bass Pro exists in such a small market like Bristol, TN. It's near Bristol Motor Speedway and off of I-81 on the way to the Smoky Mountains. I agree that it is a shame there isn't more tourism promotion in and Charleston, even if it was just trying to draw people in on their way to somewhere else. How far is the Hatfields and McCoys trail system from the city? An hour?

Regarding Bass Pro in Huntington- I agree with Chris it could maybe be a smaller store location but a full fledged Bass Pro Shop would probably be a stretch.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 09-28-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-28-2017, 10:35 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,872,555 times
Default How far is the Hatfields and McCoys trail system from the city? An hour?

It used to be less than an hour. However, there was some property sold and the new owners have opted not to allow the continuation of the trail through their property and I do not know the closest point to the trail from Charleston.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:37 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,872,555 times
Default Merger will effect any new stores

I believe the merger of Bass Pro and Cabela's is continuing so I doubt any new stores will be forthcoming until this all shakes out.

Crazy this merger happens just after Cabela builds Bristol, VA and Bass Pro builds just across the state line in TN.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Cabela's never intended for their store in Charleston to be like their larger store models. Cabela's expanded there footprint with these "smaller" store concepts all over the place. Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati, Louisville, Lexington, etc... all have these types of stores at this size. Cabela's was never aiming to build a mega store, and probably never will. Same goes for Bass Pro who are opening up smaller stores as well all over the place. These stores are meant to be more local/regional than destination stores. The Crossings could support one of these smaller Bass Pro Stores, but not a full fledged one, and definitely not a Cabela's due to the proximity to the Charleston store.
Their destination stores were carefully located in the region of large population centers. The closest one of those to Wheeling that I know of is in Hamburg, PA which is proximate to both Philadelphia and Harrisburg. I believe that for the most part most of those locations are taken now. People will also make a day trip from more distant places to go to those stores. There is a very large population base within 50 miles of the Wheeling store... millions. Also, as with all retail, the market is under stress from mail order so their current cash flow might well not support that sort of investment these days. The Wheeling store has been there for a couple decades now.

I believe that Bass Pro is in the same situation, and combining the Bass Pro and Cabela's footprints one wonders what they would do in the way of further expansion given the current retail picture. One thing seems certain to me ... they wouldn't likely make a hefty investment in any area that is not in growth mode. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them close some stores instead of adding some. There is a reason Gander Mountain went belly up.

The sporting goods company that does seem to be adding stores right now is Dick's, for whatever reason.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 09-28-2017 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,138,527 times
Dick's has been doing quite a bit of remodeling and expanding, especially with the Field and Stream brand as we've seen at the Huntington Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington