U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-15-2016, 08:17 AM
 
249 posts, read 207,685 times
Reputation: 51

Advertisements

I do know for a fact that there have been meetings with Bass Pro. That is at the top of the list for Barboursville. That said, Sheetz & Home Goods are the only two tenants I know are 100% certain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2016, 08:21 AM
 
1,842 posts, read 1,766,567 times
Reputation: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork304 View Post
I do know for a fact that there have been meetings with Bass Pro. That is at the top of the list for Barboursville. That said, Sheetz & Home Goods are the only two tenants I know are 100% certain.
Morgantown had Bass Pro approach them about the new exit and wanted to build there, however they requested their normal amount (40 Million, the minimum they ask for) and apparently the one county commissioner thought it was a joke but Bass Pro said that is the standard minimum they ask for. Cabelas apparently doesn't ask for near as much or anything in a lot of cases. Any town in WV that agrees to use taxpayer money to pay Bass pro 40 million dollars towards a store, should lose all money from the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 10:19 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,262,602 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Morgantown had Bass Pro approach them about the new exit and wanted to build there, however they requested their normal amount (40 Million, the minimum they ask for) and apparently the one county commissioner thought it was a joke but Bass Pro said that is the standard minimum they ask for. Cabelas apparently doesn't ask for near as much or anything in a lot of cases. Any town in WV that agrees to use taxpayer money to pay Bass pro 40 million dollars towards a store, should lose all money from the state.
Paying any company $40 million to build a store would be ridiculous. There are always other options.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 12:28 AM
 
Location: elkins wv
412 posts, read 394,965 times
Reputation: 262
There was a 60 million bond to build the Cabelas in the Highlands in Wheeling. this was paid off in 4 years and did bring a distribution center with it. maybe the same thing could happen with a Bass Pro Shop in both Morgantown and Huntington. maybe we could bring a distribution center to one of the cities to make it worth the money. a bass pro shop would also bring new and more retail development to the area they go into to. we are one of the few states in the east not to have one and Kentucky is the other. I'm sure if asked the Ashland area would come up with the money to make themselves the retail hub of the area. you have to spend money to make money. it would bring a lot of tax money to the area and would pay for its self in a few years like the cabellas in the highlands did for Wheeling. many cities years ago waited to long to attract malls as their down towns dried up and suburbs grew with the new malls. Ohio got the mall for the Wheeling area and Wheeling's retail struggled for years till the Highlands was built. West Virginia has to be pro active in any development to bring new things to our state. We have always been looked on as negative towards businesses wanting to locate in our state. they must be beneficial to the areas they go in or they wouldn't keep building them in other states. we are last in a lot of things because we hinder new thinking. I for one want our state to progress in every way in each part of the state
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 08:00 AM
 
249 posts, read 207,685 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
There was a 60 million bond to build the Cabelas in the Highlands in Wheeling. this was paid off in 4 years and did bring a distribution center with it. maybe the same thing could happen with a Bass Pro Shop in both Morgantown and Huntington. maybe we could bring a distribution center to one of the cities to make it worth the money. a bass pro shop would also bring new and more retail development to the area they go into to. we are one of the few states in the east not to have one and Kentucky is the other. I'm sure if asked the Ashland area would come up with the money to make themselves the retail hub of the area. you have to spend money to make money. it would bring a lot of tax money to the area and would pay for its self in a few years like the cabellas in the highlands did for Wheeling. many cities years ago waited to long to attract malls as their down towns dried up and suburbs grew with the new malls. Ohio got the mall for the Wheeling area and Wheeling's retail struggled for years till the Highlands was built. West Virginia has to be pro active in any development to bring new things to our state. We have always been looked on as negative towards businesses wanting to locate in our state. they must be beneficial to the areas they go in or they wouldn't keep building them in other states. we are last in a lot of things because we hinder new thinking. I for one want our state to progress in every way in each part of the state


I agree with this. Barboursville is on the verge of becoming THE shopping destination for the Tri-State area. Ask just about anybody in WV, Eastern KY or Southeastern Ohio...they come to Huntington/Barboursville for entertainment/shopping about 50% of the time. In WV the only other choice is Charleston. In Eastern KY many will go to Lexington. In Southeastern Ohio we know many will go to Columbus or Cincinnati. That said...the 50% (obviously just an estimate) will go waaaay up if we find a way to get an outlet mall and an anchor like a BIG Bass Pro. My sister and her friends drive all of the way to Jeffersonville, OH just for the outlets. And while I love the idea of Sportsman Wearhouse or Field & Stream but the two big names that draw people in are Cabela's and Bass Pro.

I'm really hoping that these two things happen. I honestly believe that if we get the outlets and a Bass Pro that will just lead to more and more development...hotels...restaurants...events...etc. .. I know it's unlikely but I'm really hoping that The Crossing will end up being like a mini Easton in Columbus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 01:45 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,262,602 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
There was a 60 million bond to build the Cabelas in the Highlands in Wheeling. this was paid off in 4 years and did bring a distribution center with it. maybe the same thing could happen with a Bass Pro Shop in both Morgantown and Huntington. maybe we could bring a distribution center to one of the cities to make it worth the money. a bass pro shop would also bring new and more retail development to the area they go into to. we are one of the few states in the east not to have one and Kentucky is the other. I'm sure if asked the Ashland area would come up with the money to make themselves the retail hub of the area. you have to spend money to make money. it would bring a lot of tax money to the area and would pay for its self in a few years like the cabellas in the highlands did for Wheeling. many cities years ago waited to long to attract malls as their down towns dried up and suburbs grew with the new malls. Ohio got the mall for the Wheeling area and Wheeling's retail struggled for years till the Highlands was built. West Virginia has to be pro active in any development to bring new things to our state. We have always been looked on as negative towards businesses wanting to locate in our state. they must be beneficial to the areas they go in or they wouldn't keep building them in other states. we are last in a lot of things because we hinder new thinking. I for one want our state to progress in every way in each part of the state
I see your point, and if such development (the distribution center) would be guaranteed (as it was with the Highlands in Wheeling) it would make sense. But there aren't many places in our state with the situation that would make that much sense for a company to locate a distribution center such as you have at Highlands. Proximity to a large population center (The Highlands is on the fringe of the southern Pittsburgh suburbs), and so forth. It would be a risky endeavor without some written guarantees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2016, 10:28 AM
 
530 posts, read 494,104 times
Reputation: 54
I cannot express my level of anger and frustration with the media, especially the Herald-Dispatch. I emailed them regarding the latest Tanyard Station developments (site plan changes now showing a home improvement store, no longer showing an outdoor store, the appearance of a much less robust development compared to what was previously depicted, the fact that there have been ZERO stories/updates from the media since early June, and also by the way, no signs of any road upgrades). Their response when I asked if they planned on running a story/update any time soon..."probably not until November." This, to me, is so outrageous. Such a sorry excuse for journalism. We all deserve much better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2016, 05:46 AM
 
490 posts, read 354,834 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
I cannot express my level of anger and frustration with the media, especially the Herald-Dispatch. I emailed them regarding the latest Tanyard Station developments (site plan changes now showing a home improvement store, no longer showing an outdoor store, the appearance of a much less robust development compared to what was previously depicted, the fact that there have been ZERO stories/updates from the media since early June, and also by the way, no signs of any road upgrades). Their response when I asked if they planned on running a story/update any time soon..."probably not until November." This, to me, is so outrageous. Such a sorry excuse for journalism. We all deserve much better.
I've posted it before but I did something similar with the WVGazette regarding a development at Southrdige that never happened as well...

Basically after contacting the original author and copying the editor multiple times and getting no response I cancelled my subscription. I don't know much about the HD in Huntington but I've gotten the impression that the Gazette is more interested in destroying business and reporting on bad news rather than trying to play a role as a force for change and development. I've also noticed more staff leaving recently as well. Hopefully at some point it gets sold off once it hits rock bottom and perhaps some better folks will come in and do something better with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 11:13 AM
 
530 posts, read 494,104 times
Reputation: 54
Hearing from a source close to the situation that Bass Pro will purchase land at The Crossing for construction of a new store. Additionally, the plans for the actual site involve basically a leveling of that entire mountain. Seems like a ton of work will be involved to get this project off the ground. This source did seem to be very confident in the information provided. My thought is that by building at The Crossing, they will be able to escape having to pay more taxes that they otherwise would if building with Barboursville city limits (such as would have been the case at Tanyard Station). Again, who knows, so little information has been released about The Crossing, it's hard to say.

And again, we have another Sunday HD with basically no business news; should we really be shocked? Our local media is a joke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM
 
1,842 posts, read 1,766,567 times
Reputation: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
Hearing from a source close to the situation that Bass Pro will purchase land at The Crossing for construction of a new store. Additionally, the plans for the actual site involve basically a leveling of that entire mountain. Seems like a ton of work will be involved to get this project off the ground. This source did seem to be very confident in the information provided. My thought is that by building at The Crossing, they will be able to escape having to pay more taxes that they otherwise would if building with Barboursville city limits (such as would have been the case at Tanyard Station). Again, who knows, so little information has been released about The Crossing, it's hard to say.

And again, we have another Sunday HD with basically no business news; should we really be shocked? Our local media is a joke.
Very interesting considering Bass Pro announced this morning they are buying Cabelas. If this is true, I wonder how long before the small Cabelas is closed.

Also if true, I wonder who paid the 40+ million, the developers or the taxpayers.

Also, it looks like Bass Pro operates out of one huge distribution center in the middle of the country so I doubt a distribution center will be built.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top