Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 01:05 PM

4,939 posts, read 8,902,331 times

Advertisements

Nice breakdown of all of the stats. Like you said in your breakdown, I think the overall numbers support the notion that the Huntington area is growing, even without the addition of Putnam County.

If Huntington would do a minor boundary adjustment to bring the Route 60 Walmart into city limits it would have a similar effect on the economic census for Huntington. The other positive being that we would now have more sales tax and user fee money coming in as well. That's something that they really need to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 06:50 PM

4,939 posts, read 8,902,331 times
Default Huntington MSA News

Here's a nice little blog with some info about why/why not to combine the Huntington and Charleston MSAs. Seems pretty well thought out.

Advantage Valley Blog

Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,057,061 times
Thanks for sharing that TB. Finally an educated study performed to explain why the MSA's haven't been merged yet. I do like the idea of proceeding to market the area as one MSA anyways. Besides, many businesses use the CSA (combined statistical area) data for regions anymore. And Charleston-Huntington definitely matches that criteria

Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,132,770 times
Given the shrinking population trend and the state of the economy, I think it only makes sense to at least market the two MSAs together or just go with marketing the combined CSA.

Obviously there also needs to be some work done on tax reform and education to help attract more businesses and industries to the area but I think that will take a major house cleaning at the Capitol, on both sides of the aisle.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:59 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,990,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Given the shrinking population trend and the state of the economy, I think it only makes sense to at least market the two MSAs together or just go with marketing the combined CSA.

Obviously there also needs to be some work done on tax reform and education to help attract more businesses and industries to the area but I think that will take a major house cleaning at the Capitol, on both sides of the aisle.
Things going on at the Capitol on both sides of the aisle have been harmful for the whole state. They have the biggest collection of nincompoops in the state hanging out at the same place at the same time, and accomplishing next to nothing. The only way to reform it would be to drain the cesspool.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:18 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,132,770 times
Combined across both sides of the aisle, there is maybe a dozen to fifteen elected officials that know how to do their job and don't just fall in line with the party agendas and talking points. Keep those folks and send the rest packing.

One question I have about combining the two cities, in regards to recruiting new businesses, do we have enough suitable land to attract manufacturing? Also, would we need to push to have the rest of I-64 expanded to 6 lanes between Teays Valley and Barboursville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington