Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 3,638 times

Advertisements

I thought I’d come by and leave this petition I had put up for an ice rink to be built as part of whatever development replaces the Flats on 4th...

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-hun...-in-huntington

But I’d like to do more than just plug my own ideas—what else could/should go there?

(edit: is something up with the formatting? or am I just losing my mind )

Last edited by lennysundahl; 04-17-2019 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: formatting screwed up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 AM

4,934 posts, read 8,884,668 times
I think whatever goes in there needs to complement the plans that Marshall currently has in the area. We know that there are some preliminary plans to build a new Building for the Business School right there on 4th Ave where the parking lot currently is. MU also owns the Hussons Pizza building and there seem to be plans to tear that building down and rebuild it as a public-private partnership with businesses on the bottom and student housing on top. The company that bought the Flats supposedly has a history of building hotels. If they were to build one there, I'd rather see a boutique type hotel with the structure closer against 4th Ave. Maybe make it look like a series of older buildings and even put some business in the bottom. This would help pull more foot traffic down 4th Ave and help with the synergy in that area.

I think we do need an Ice Arena but personally, I'd rather see one closer to the area near the football stadium. I've always envisioned that area as being ripe to turn into the "sports complex" side of town. There's more land there that needs redeveloped and you've already got a good start with the football stadium, softball field, soccer field and planned baseball field. If you put an Ice Arena and an Indoor Sports Facility with 2 soccer field and maybe some other facilities, you would create a huge synergy there. For the ice arena and the indoor sports facility, partnerships could be built with the YMCA and Marshall to use the facilities as well. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:46 PM

I'm plugging the 4th Avenue spot simply because it's a fresh hole in the ground, but honestly when Flint Pigments went up for sale I put the exact spot where the ballpark is going in a Google Map of places I thought would make good ice rink sites. Subject to whatever further site remediation is needed, the other side of the ballpark--I guess the other side of 5th Avenue would work best--would be a great location. I definitely like the idea of connecting all the athletic complexes together, or at least as much as possible given existing businesses (doubt you're gonna be able to move Turnpike Ford, for example).

Old 04-18-2019, 09:19 PM

I don't think you'd even have to even go as far down as Turnpike Ford. There are enough old industrial sites to the west of there and also closer to Marshall that are in need of rejuvenation and would be perfect for the location. Development there may even allow further development of the riverfront and for more sections of the flood wall to be removed and the area opened up some. More thought needs to be given to incremental development like this with areas that are more specialized but still connected to one another with trails, bike lanes, etc.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 AM

52 posts, read 40,751 times
I would love to see something like a new 30 story building go up somewhere. Something that would break the record for tallest building in state...and start a redevelopment of our skyline. If you take out Marshall's Twin towers, every building over 10 stories in Huntington was built in 1925 or earlier. It might be time to come up with a plan to tear down (what used to be the) Fifth Third Center (built in 1913), Prichard Building (1925), Guarantee Bank Building (1911), and the Coal Exchange Building (1925), leaving only the West Virginia Building (1925) standing. Wow, 1925 was a big year for Huntington!

https://www.emporis.com/statistics/t...tington-wv-usa

Then you could probably build 2 new over 25 story buildings, making sure one breaks the record for tallest building in state (must be taller than the Capital in Charleston) as a point of city pride. This could spur other development downtown just as Pullman Square has done.

As far as the ice rink, how about across from Applebees where the old Emmons (?) apts were?

Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 AM

I think that, unfortunately, the Pritchard is about to be too far gone if it isn’t already there. That would be s good place to start. Many of the other building could be saved and improved upon though, especially with the historic tax credit increase. I’ve always envisioned a new, taller building with green tinted windows on 4th Ave. You could call it Emerald tower as a nod to the Jewel City and the green color for MU.

For the lot where the Emmons was, I’ve always thought that it would be a perfect spot for a seasonal outdoor ice rink. I feel like that would be a great draw in the winter months.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:31 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,127,454 times
Regarding the Emmons lot, I've always wondered why a memorial park hasn't been constructed. I know it could be a prime piece of real estate for development but given the tragedy, it seems that a memorial is only fitting. As tbailey, mentioned, maybe a plan that calls for a functional park should be the way to go. That way the lost are honored by doing from the living.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1 View Post
I would love to see something like a new 30 story building go up somewhere. Something that would break the record for tallest building in state...and start a redevelopment of our skyline. If you take out Marshall's Twin towers, every building over 10 stories in Huntington was built in 1925 or earlier. It might be time to come up with a plan to tear down (what used to be the) Fifth Third Center (built in 1913), Prichard Building (1925), Guarantee Bank Building (1911), and the Coal Exchange Building (1925), leaving only the West Virginia Building (1925) standing. Wow, 1925 was a big year for Huntington!

https://www.emporis.com/statistics/t...tington-wv-usa

Then you could probably build 2 new over 25 story buildings, making sure one breaks the record for tallest building in state (must be taller than the Capital in Charleston) as a point of city pride. This could spur other development downtown just as Pullman Square has done.

As far as the ice rink, how about across from Applebees where the old Emmons (?) apts were?
I like these shoot the moon sort of things I will say that before the Flint site came open my ideal spot for a new arena was in fact that Applebee’s block—all there is anymore in that block is the restaurant, Goodyear, Merrill Lynch, and Maxie’s (I think it’s still there?), and a lot of parking spaces. At least two of those could be integrated into a larger development without a lot of trouble.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:54 AM

194 posts, read 179,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennysundahl View Post
I thought I’d come by and leave this petition I had put up for an ice rink to be built as part of whatever development replaces the Flats on 4th...

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-hun...-in-huntington

But I’d like to do more than just plug my own ideas—what else could/should go there?

(edit: is something up with the formatting? or am I just losing my mind )
The most important question is.

Will the skate ring have midnight broom ball games?

Old 04-20-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern-Quill View Post
The most important question is.

Will the skate ring have midnight broom ball games?
It bleepin’ better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington