Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
CT, the way you worded your post regarding the MU program and the WVSP/Fred Zain situation, it sounded like you were trying to link the two things together. Your wording inferred a connection.
I suppose my wording COULD be interpreted that way, but that is not how I meant it. I mean if I were running that program I would not be touting the connection like they are at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 8,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Sure, use this post people need to know it is a joke program. Forensic science is still just applied biology. My opinion of the program, which is already low, has been made even worse now that I know it is associated with Marshal's med school which has a terrible reputation. It isn't even ranked. That is known as a third tier school which is just a waste of money. WV does have a ranked med school at WVU though.

So kids take something useful like bioinformatics and not forensic science. I know you think it will be like CSI but in reality it will be you working in Walmart.

So yes arm yourself with facts, and the fact is Forensic sciencr is a bad major and the prestige is the same from any school. Ignore the opinion of Marshall grads who just eant to make their school look good. There are few jobs and they are hard to get, you agree to as much, and you don't even need a forensic degree to get them.

I'm not putting Marshal down. Go to Marshal and get a degree in a real major but stay away from forensics at any school.

Feel free to share this all you want.
It seems impossible to have a factual discussion with you. A couple of clarifications to your last post however:

> Ignore the opinion of Marshall grads who just want to make their school look good.

If you are insinuating that I am a Marshall grad you are completely off base. I also do not live, and have never lived, anywhere near Marshall University or in WV. Also my statements about the program and the success its graduates are based on facts. Waiting for similar facts to back up your assertions.

> I'm not putting Marshal down.

But throughout your posts you have lambasted Marshall and their programs (the biology program, the med school, etc.). It appears there is an ulterior motive to your posts.

No sense continuing to debate your opinion and innuendo. You obviously have no facts to bring to the table. Bring 'em if you got 'em.

Anxiously awaiting your next "hands over the ears - la, la, la - I'm not listening" post.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
You obviously have no facts to bring to the table. Bring 'em if you got 'em.

Anxiously awaiting your next "hands over the ears - la, la, la - I'm not listening" post.[
Quote:
Originally Posted by goherd View Post
It seems impossible to have a factual discussion with you. A couple of clarifications to your last post however:

> Ignore the opinion of Marshall grads who just want to make their school look good.

If you are insinuating that I am a Marshall grad you are completely off base. I also do not live, and have never lived, anywhere near Marshall University or in WV. Also my statements about the program and the success its graduates are based on facts. Waiting for similar facts to back up your assertions.

> I'm not putting Marshal down.

But throughout your posts you have lambasted Marshall and their programs (the biology program, the med school, etc.). It appears there is an ulterior motive to your posts.

No sense continuing to debate your opinion and innuendo. You obviously have no facts to bring to the table. Bring 'em if you got 'em.

Anxiously awaiting your next "hands over the ears - la, la, la - I'm not listening" post.

Your name is goherd and you do have agenda. In fact you only madr an account after this discussion and have only participated in this forum in this discussion to argue for Marshall. You also seem to really know a lot about the Marshall program. Yeah I am sure you are a neutral party here.

However, that is irrelevant. The facts have been established and that is there are almost no job openings in this field, few jobs, and you don't need a degree to work them. You have presented no facts of your own other than some vague statement of the accreditation agency responsible for this joke field. Accreditation agencies are famous for being shady and misleading

Quote:
. Various commenters have written about the role and effectiveness of the American accreditation system. It has drawn particular interest since the rise of e-learning classes and institutions. A frequent point of discussion and criticism is that the system is limited to measuring "input" factors, such as adequate facilities and properly credentialed faculty, rather than the quality of a school's educational output.[21]

In his 1996 book Crisis in the Academy, Christopher J. Lucas criticized the accreditation system as too expensive, onerously complicated, incestuous in its organization, and not properly tied to quality.[22][21] Similarly, a 2002 report by George C. Leef and Roxana D. Burris of the American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA) argued that the system does not ensure or protect educational quality, while still imposing significant costs.[23][24] A lack of transparency, low and lax standards and outdated regionalization were cited among the problems with regional accreditation [25] . Others, such as Edward M. Elmendorf of the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, reject these claims, arguing that they are "picking around the edges" of a proven and necessary system for upholding standards.[21][26] Others note the specific problem that schools unable or unwilling to meet the standards of traditional accrediting bodies have begun to start their own agencies that may have much less rigorous standards.[27]

At various times the U.S. government has investigated changes to the accreditation system. In 2002 the House of Representatives Subcommittee on 21st Century Competitiveness criticized the system.[26] Accreditation was a major topic of the Spellings Commission, which released its report on September 26, 2006.[28] The Council for Higher Education Accreditation recognizes that there are criticisms,[29] but has opposed these calls for reform, with President Judith S. Eaton arguing that the system is successful and needs to remain flexible to accommodate differences between schools and disciplines.[26] In 2013, President Barack Obama proposed changes in the accreditation system to hold "colleges accountable for cost, value, and quality".[30] He called on Congress to change the Higher Education Act so that affordability and value are considered in determining which institutions are accredited and allow students access to federal financial aid
It is like a car salesmen setting up an agency to rate his cars. YOU have no proof of anything you have said.

I also never put Marshall down. Their med school has a bad reputation and isn't ranked. That isn't opinion. Their biology is ranked somewhere in the #200 range. Those are facts. Marshall is generally not considered prestigious.

You obviously have no facts to bring to the table. Bring 'em if you got 'em.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 AM

> You have presented no facts of your own other than some vague statement
> of the accreditation agency responsible for this joke field. Accreditation agencies
> are famous for being shady and misleading

Excuse me? Where did I discuss or tout anything about accreditation? All of my posts have tried to provide factual details about the Marshall program itself (a selective and limited MS program with stringent entrance requirements) and the success of the graduates (95% success rate at placing graduates of the program into the field) to hopefully clear up some of your posted opinion and innuendo.

> Your name is goherd and you do have agenda.

I have an agenda because my name here is goherd? Wow, that's a stretch. I see you are one of those posters who try to read way too much between the lines - you previously accused me of being a Marshall grad trying to make my school look good, but you missed the mark there as well.

I created the name and began posting here to hopefully provide some clarification to opinion and innuendo you are spewing. I guess my agenda is not to make it so easy for posters like you to run roughshod over forums like this. Thank you for your continued posts because they are helping back my agenda.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
> You have presented no facts of your own other than some vague statement
> of the accreditation agency responsible for this joke field. Accreditation agencies
> aritemse famous for being shady and misleading

Excuse me? Where did I discuss or tout anything about accreditation? All of my posts have tried to provide factual details about the Marshall program itself (a selective and limited MS program with stringent entrance requirements) and the success of the graduates (95% success rate at placing graduates of the program into the field) to hopefully clear up some of your posted opinion and innuendo.

> Your name is goherd and you do have agenda.

I have an agenda because my name here is goherd? Wow, that's a stretch. I see you are one of those posters who try to read way too much between the lines - you previously accused me of being a Marshall grad trying to make my school look good, but you missed the mark there as well.

I created the name and began posting here to hopefully provide some clarification to opinion and innuendo you are spewing. I guess my agenda is not to make it so easy for posters like you to run roughshod over forums like this. Thank you for your continued posts because they are helping back my agenda.
You had no statistic to back those claims up. Just a claim. That is innuendo. If you have data that shows your claims share it.

Per your own admission you came here to argue your agenda and innuendo, which is to promote Marshall's forensics. regardless of how you spin it.

I guess my agenda is not to make it so easy for posters like you to run roughshod over forums like this and educate people about forensic science. Thank you for your continued posts because they are helping back MY agenda.

Anyway this conversation is now over to you provide facts. Attempts to get around this won't get you anywhere.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 AM

I am completely baffled by your current "I know you are but what am I?" table turning attempts of your most recent posts.

I think I have made the points I needed to make in regard to the Marshall University Forensic Science Graduate Program (which, when I last checked, was the topic of this thread).

Current and future readers are free to draw their own opinions and conclusions in regard to our dialog.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I am completely baffled by your current "I know you are but what am I?" table turning attempts of your most recent posts.

I think I have made the points I needed to make in regard to the Marshall University Forensic Science Graduate Program (which, when I last checked, was the topic of this thread).

Current and future readers are free to draw their own opinions and conclusions in regard to our dialog.
So in other words you have no source to back up your claims?

Predictably you try and make up for it by launching a personal attack against me and give yourself an excuse to leave.

As it currently stands you have no proof of anything you have said and everyone can see that.

Comeback when you have proof. Until then you are just stating opinion.

So yes all current and future readers please note the poster is refusing to share any sources for everything they are saying and instead trying to weasle out of doing this. Draw your own conclusions?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
nm

Last edited by aeros71; 08-22-2013 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 PM

4,956 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
The United States Department of Labor expects significant job growth in the area of forensic science, at least through 2018. In fact, the federal government projects an astounding 20 percent job growth for this career field. This is a much faster growth rate than expected for other occupations. The government’s projection is due primarily to the expansion and growth of computer technology and medicine. It also stems from the increasing applications of advanced scientific techniques, like forensic DNA testing.

In light of the current interest in forensics and the expected job growth in this field, forensic science degrees are truly valuable investments. Careers in forensics are numerous and varied, and each job plays a vital role in modern criminal investigations.
Forensic Science Job Outlook | Forensic Science Colleges

Forensic Science Technicians : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 08-22-2013, 07:50 PM

Thank you Tim.

as we can see there is only 13,000 current jobs with less than 2500 jobs being created over 10 years. That is terrible. Even fields such as psychologist and lawyers, which are infamous, for being hard to get a job in right now are doing MUCh better. This isnt even taking into account the sequester and efforts to cut the budget, a falling crime, rate all of which will hurt this field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington