Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:57 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times

Advertisements

Could it be that Marshall has a secret that helps make this possible.

Could it be their 35 million dollar 'On Line Library, that was funded by the Alumni Association, is the key to their Graduate Studies Programs..that the information for an entire planet is at their finger tips?

and it is also accessible to the local high schools in Wv and neighboring Kentucky...that as it is used, it will gather in the best and brightest of that region...

I wonder...

Why the Hell arn't we building the same type of library here before CMU and Penn State does?

35 million to any college is chicken feed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times
Default $25M OK'd for MU (Engineering) expansion

$25M OK'd for MU expansion - The Herald Dispatch

This funding, together with other funds, will allow Marshall to build an engineering building here in Huntington to go along with the engineering lab they already have. This is also where they plan to put the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (S.T.E.M.) school that was discussed in another thread //www.city-data.com/forum/west-...t-new-s-t.html . Very smart way to not only get new facilities for such a school but also to give the high school students the same technology that the college students have available to them, on a smaller scale. Can't wait to see this built.

Tim

Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
I certainly agree with you that the high school is a good idea, and can understand your enthusiasm for the project.

I disagree with some aspects of the project. First of all, I don't think the high school should have been located on the college campus (maybe no biggee, but my opinion). Secondly, I believe Mr. Plymale's (a Marshall employee who is also a State Senator and head of the Education Committee) pork barreling is not in the best interests of the State or Marshall University.
Allow me to explain: The State already has two good engineering schools, and I am not aware of any oversupply of students at the Montgomery campus. Essentially, Plymale has three state supported institutions competing with each other using taxpayer funds. That said, there are no Optometry or Veterinary Medicine schools in West Virginia.

In my opinion, they should have allocated a portion of that money for the high school (to be built near, but not on the campus) and the remainder to apply toward funding of either a Veterinary Medicine school (a natural for WVU) or an Optometry College (a natural for Marshall). I'm not trying to start something here, Tim, but that is how I see it. West Virginia is the Nation's poorest state and allocation of scarce resources is very important.
I'm sure Plymale will get kudos from his employer for getting the money, but the tactics in general get raspberries from me. Our state is a political mess.
It makes for a very good case for strict term limits.

It is, however, good to see something positive happen for Huntington from this. I guess that's the flip side.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Locating the high school on campus actually makes sense. If Marshall wasn't running it, I would agree with you. But since it is their project and given the focus of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, I think it makes perfect sense to place the high school in this new engineering/math complex. It also minimizes having to duplicate materials and will provide these kids with a lot more opportunities to succeed. Also, when Marshall previously had a high school, it was on campus.

As for the number of engineering schools, the focus of this new school is on the coal industry at this time. They only provide a civil engineering degree, no mechanical, chemical or aerospace. So they have not duplicated all of the available engineering degrees, they've just focused on an immediate need. Also, it seems that Tech is on the decline quality wise per some of the reports. Here's an article about this subject with some interesting quotes attached: Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - State News - WVU Tech's problems continue* Should Tech close down their engineering school or have to scale it back, MU would have the infrastrucure in place to bring those additional degrees to Huntington if the need is there. Otherwise, all of your eggs are in one basket.

I also find it funny that you don't agree with Mr. Plymale getting this funding for the area he represents. Isn't that what representatives do? It's also not as if he has the power to push this through on his own. Other representatives had to approve this as well. I also find it funny that you are more than eager to get Mr. Ron Justice, a WVU employee I might add, elected as governor. Do you not think he would bring more money to WVU and that area in general as most governor's do (i.e. the new Fairmont exit)? Seems to be a bit of a double standard based on that comment.

Overall though, I think that this is a great project that will benefit Marshall, Huntington and West Virginia in general. And I agree with the need for those additional degrees that you mentioned as well.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 PM

307 posts, read 692,088 times
Wow just what we need. More people standing with their “hands out” saying, give me- give me- give me!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convex20899 View Post
Wow just what we need. More people standing with their “hands out†saying, give me- give me- give me!
You're right, what a shocker! A state institution getting money from the state.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:14 PM

307 posts, read 692,088 times
It's my tax money! It's you're tax money! We don't need it. Then guess what "let's raise the tax's"

give me-give me-give me

Old 08-13-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Locating the high school on campus actually makes sense. If Marshall wasn't running it, I would agree with you. But since it is their project and given the focus of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, I think it makes perfect sense to place the high school in this new engineering/math complex. It also minimizes having to duplicate materials and will provide these kids with a lot more opportunities to succeed. Also, when Marshall previously had a high school, it was on campus.

As for the number of engineering schools, the focus of this new school is on the coal industry at this time. They only provide a civil engineering degree, no mechanical, chemical or aerospace. So they have not duplicated all of the available engineering degrees, they've just focused on an immediate need. Also, it seems that Tech is on the decline quality wise per some of the reports. Here's an article about this subject with some interesting quotes attached: Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - State News - WVU Tech's problems continue* Should Tech close down their engineering school or have to scale it back, MU would have the infrastrucure in place to bring those additional degrees to Huntington if the need is there. Otherwise, all of your eggs are in one basket.

I also find it funny that you don't agree with Mr. Plymale getting this funding for the area he represents. Isn't that what representatives do? It's also not as if he has the power to push this through on his own. Other representatives had to approve this as well. I also find it funny that you are more than eager to get Mr. Ron Justice, a WVU employee I might add, elected as governor. Do you not think he would bring more money to WVU and that area in general as most governor's do (i.e. the new Fairmont exit)? Seems to be a bit of a double standard based on that comment.

Overall though, I think that this is a great project that will benefit Marshall, Huntington and West Virginia in general. And I agree with the need for those additional degrees that you mentioned as well.
Tech has had troubles for more than a decade, but this certainly won't help there. They aren't going anywhere (too many influential alums, and now a WVU tie in) but the net result of the Plymale move will ultimately mean a mass infusion of funds to Tech. They have enormous support in Kanawha and Fayette, and those folks can now point (with justification) to the Marshall funding. The result... more competition with state funds competing against state funds.

You're right, of course, that politicos are somehow judged on their ability to extract funding. To me, their primary concern should be the public as a whole but we know it doesn't work that way. He seemingly did not face any opposition from WVU on this one, so my hunch is there are some backroom deals in the works. Personally, I don't trust any of them but I do understand how the system works because I worked for state government (WV and NY) for many years. Rumors are the State will commit millions toward solving Morgantown's traffic problems which would definitely get major support from WVU. As you know, logically that is probably the State's most pressing need at the moment.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 AM

The state's most pressing needs are establishing a better business climate in the state with less reliance on coal (because it will run out) along with maintaining current state infrastructure and finishing current projects that they've started like the Mon-Fayette, I-73 & 74, The Coal Fields Expressway, etc. The state should help up there with the infrastructure but not do it for them. The roads there and the mess they are within city limits is the sole fault of the city and a lack of good planning. The problem isn't the roads outside of the city, it's the roads as you get into downtown. The state/feds have done a decent job making a good infrastructure around the town with I-79, I-68, the boulevard, 705, etc. The problem is how it bottlenecks as you get into downtown. Until Morgantown fixes their roads downtown, this will not get better. They've had plenty of opportunity to straighten roads out but they've passed and allowed new buildings to be placed where the road should have gone. I would expect the state to do this for Morgantown no more than I would for the state to come in and foot the bill for the most pressing situation in each city across the state. This would cost billions that the state doesn't have. As you pointed out with the engineering situation, you do it for one and it's hard to justify not doing it for others.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The state's most pressing needs are establishing a better business climate in the state with less reliance on coal (because it will run out) along with maintaining current state infrastructure and finishing current projects that they've started like the Mon-Fayette, I-73 & 74, The Coal Fields Expressway, etc. The state should help up there with the infrastructure but not do it for them. The roads there and the mess they are within city limits is the sole fault of the city and a lack of good planning. The problem isn't the roads outside of the city, it's the roads as you get into downtown. The state/feds have done a decent job making a good infrastructure around the town with I-79, I-68, the boulevard, 705, etc. The problem is how it bottlenecks as you get into downtown. Until Morgantown fixes their roads downtown, this will not get better. They've had plenty of opportunity to straighten roads out but they've passed and allowed new buildings to be placed where the road should have gone. I would expect the state to do this for Morgantown no more than I would for the state to come in and foot the bill for the most pressing situation in each city across the state. This would cost billions that the state doesn't have. As you pointed out with the engineering situation, you do it for one and it's hard to justify not doing it for others.
I'm trying to follow your logic there, Tim. You believe it is okay for the State to push $25 million into Huntington to fund a high school (generally considered a county responsibility), and a triplicatious engineering program, finish a Coalfields Expressway that is not addressing nearly the volume of traffic that is faced by Morgantown in recent years, but only "help out" with traffic issues on State numbered highways in Morgantown where the State bears primary responsibility?

It is not just local traffic that uses those roads. There is a huge volume of traffic from out of town that uses them too. You've been there, and you know that. The State footed the bill for local responsibilities in Huntington. They have an even more compelling reason to live up to their responsibilities in Morgantown. Their flagship University is located there, and 705, Route 119, and Route 7 are theirs to maintain under any circumstances. It is their responsibility.

And, if as you say the most compelling need is to improve the business climate. What in the world are they doing with these expenditures in Huntington? Better roads in Morgantown would have been a much better force for immediate improvement in business climate. We already have schools in place to turn out engineers, and any investment in high school educational resources will yield only long term benefits. Look, I'm not saying what they are doing is all bad, ... what I'm saying is they now have a serious responsibility to live up to in Morgantown and it is time they get on with it. Gov. Photo Op is starting to make a lot of people unhappy with his political maneuverings and manipulations. While he is putting that money on the Marshall campus, he is also fighting giving many state employees and all state retirees (who live on a fixed incomes) a raise
and he isn't living up to his responsibilities for keeping highway infrastructure up to date. They need to do their jobs.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-14-2009 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington