Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 11:17 AM

52 posts, read 42,409 times

Advertisements

Why haven't we developed the riverfront? Why hasn't the floodwall been taken down between 13th and 8th Streets and a development incorporating another flood solution been put up in place? We are a city on the RIVER! It's insane we leave it pretty much untouched (outside of lightly used/visited Riverfront Park) and actually HIDE IT (behind a hideous floodwall).

I know there were plans years ago for a large development. Has that fallen through?

We should have buildings (highrises), shops, and a boardwalk on the river. Other river cities do it masterfully (usually building what would be ON TOP of a flood wall structure - not behind it).

It's like sitting on a pot of gold/winning lottery ticket...whatever metaphor you want to use and never cashing it in. It's like having a million dollar view (literally) and lining up dumpsters in front of it (the floodwall).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 01:03 PM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Yes the plans fell through. There's no funding for any of that. Yes the floodwall has prevented Huntington's access to the river. The riverfront is also within the regulatory floodway of the river so any businesses built down there would have to have extremely expensive flood insurance policies and that also is a large barrier against any substantial construction due to permitting.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:37 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
I've asked city hall about this and it's like pulling teeth to get a reply, let alone any information. I was told the city has a contract with a developer, who is still trying to secure financing. This deal was announced around 5 years ago. If you can't get the financing and such lined up in that amount of time, you're either not very good at developing or perhaps lazy.

I'm also guessing that the city either signed a contract that didn't have an out clause or the city leadership is just as lazy. This is why I always have doubts when Mayor Williams announces any type of redevelopment plan. He has a record of not seeing projects through. Who's to say if the announced Highlawn project will ever come to be?

The riverfront is a reminder of the failed city leadership of the past 50 years. All that time to develop it and little has changed.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:21 PM

Correction to my previous post, the Riverfront development plans were announced in 2015. So it's been around 6 years and the only thing to show for it is a new boathouse for the HFD rescue boat.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...cc8bee960.html

Old 05-02-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I've asked city hall about this and it's like pulling teeth to get a reply, let alone any information. I was told the city has a contract with a developer, who is still trying to secure financing. This deal was announced around 5 years ago. If you can't get the financing and such lined up in that amount of time, you're either not very good at developing or perhaps lazy.

I'm also guessing that the city either signed a contract that didn't have an out clause or the city leadership is just as lazy. This is why I always have doubts when Mayor Williams announces any type of redevelopment plan. He has a record of not seeing projects through. Who's to say if the announced Highlawn project will ever come to be?

The riverfront is a reminder of the failed city leadership of the past 50 years. All that time to develop it and little has changed.
Totally agree.

And I understand 304eers concerns about being in the "floodway", but isn't any city on a major (or even minor) river in a floodway...until the city does something about it? I mean until you build a solution for it...I would assume every original piece of raw land touching a river was in a floodway. I don't understand why other cities can utilize their rivers and engineer solutions for riverfront developments and we can't.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1 View Post
Totally agree.

And I understand 304eers concerns about being in the "floodway", but isn't any city on a major (or even minor) river in a floodway...until the city does something about it? I mean until you build a solution for it...I would assume every original piece of raw land touching a river was in a floodway. I don't understand why other cities can utilize their rivers and engineer solutions for riverfront developments and we can't.
I agree regarding your comment about other cities. I think one could even argue that Charleston has a nicer riverfront than Huntington. Just look at other cities like Dubuque Iowa, Chattanooga Tennessee and Savannah Georgia to see some great examples of how to embrace the water and develop a riverfront.

Pittsburgh has done a great job in redeveloping parts of their waterfronts. Also, Spokane Washington just redeveloped their riverfront park and it looks great.

It can be done but the city has to have strong leadership, vision, and "go-getters" to make it happen.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
It can be done but the city has to have strong leadership, vision, and "go-getters" to make it happen.
Exactly!

Old 05-02-2021, 11:17 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Quote:

Another possibility is you are unable to obtain financing because it is too much of a risk compared to the reward. If you had say $10 million would you put it there?

Old 05-02-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Another possibility is you are unable to obtain financing because it is too much of a risk compared to the reward. If you had say $10 million would you put it there?
A better question is, How are multiple other cities able to complete similar projects?

And for a follow-up to that question, why hasn't Huntington followed their plans, strategies, etc.?

Old 05-03-2021, 01:43 PM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Quote:
A better question is, How are multiple other cities able to complete similar projects?

And for a follow-up to that question, why hasn't Huntington followed their plans, strategies, etc.?
Because those cities are either a lot larger or booming. When Parkersburg or Portsmouth start building on the waterfront, then Huntington will have a problem. Huntington has a lot bigger issues than building on the waterfront. Would it be nice and would bring more people downtown, absolutely. But let's bring in businesses, people, and grow, then the money will come to make nice improvements like that.

And for your follow-up question, money. That's all it is. You can't make tens of millions appear out of thin air. Something like the Scioto Greenway in Columbus was $44 million and that didn't include a 30 ft. floodwall demolition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington