Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,257 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving my family from Florida to the Huntington area in August and I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind offering some advice. I've been doing a lot of research on the area lately and I think I am going to live in either Barboursville, Pea Ridge, or the Proctorville/Rome area in Ohio. I have seen on other threads where Barboursville is described as a nice place to live. What do you all think about these three areas in regard to their safety for a family? Are they all low crime areas with few break-ins or theft, or is Barboursville better than the other two?

Also, I am looking to rent a house in the area for a year or so until we decide which area we want to permenantly settle in. If any of you have a home with at least 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and are looking for good tenents, please let me know. We are very excited to be moving to your area.

Thanks,

Your soon to be neighbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:04 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,949,212 times
Out of the places you mentioned, stick with Barboursville. You'll be a lot closer to everything in Barboursville and Huntington and Barboursville is a very nice place to live. You can also look into Pea Ridge because it's essentially part of Barboursville since the school systems feed into the B'ville schools. Houses to rent aren't usually too hard to come by but there are some nice apartments/townhouses around that have recently been built if you need to pursue that route. Here's a link to the Huntington paper to give you access to houses for rent. Here are some links to other points of interest as well. Let me know if you need anything else and welcome to the area.
Tim

Homepage - Huntington, WV - The Herald-Dispatch
Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV
http://www.huntington-mall.com/home/index.ch2
Welcome to Marshall University

Old 05-17-2008, 03:31 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
You might also want to check out tax liability for both WV and OH. My grandfather built a home in Proctorville in 1960; I visited a lot when I was a kid things were much quieter then on the other side of the river...last visited last June and it is not quiet anymore. Lots of traffic on Route 1 now but the Proctorville bridge makes it easy to get to town. Good luck on your move.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You might also want to check out tax liability for both WV and OH. My grandfather built a home in Proctorville in 1960; I visited a lot when I was a kid things were much quieter then on the other side of the river...last visited last June and it is not quiet anymore. Lots of traffic on Route 1 now but the Proctorville bridge makes it easy to get to town. Good luck on your move.

I have heard that there is a tax advantage of a few thousand dollars per year(potentially) if you live on the Ohio side of the river. I was leaning in that direction until I looked at how far the drive would be each time my family and I took a trip to the mall, or to one of the stores in Barboursville. The rent also seems a little cheaper on the WV side, so I'm thinking things may be close to evening out financially. Are you saying the traffic is bad and/or worse on the Ohio side than in WV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington