Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 04:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,706 times

Advertisements

Hello folks. I am born and raised in New York, but I have spent most of my years living out in Seattle. WA state been home for a long time. But it got too dang expensive and too crowded for me so I was pushed out and now I’m seeking a new spot to lay her down and wait for the next journey into the next realm. This is about trying to settle in for good. many years ago I went to college in Wheeling West Virginia for a year and I had met some of the most amazing human being on the face of the planet when I was there. Granted not everyone loved a NY’er. Can’t hide the accent though. Although I have been in Washington state for the last 30 years. Im a real people loving person. So Friendliness is always a good thing. Hard to locate these days around America. One thing I do recall about wheeling was the people were unbelievably warm. I got Do you warm hearted stories from when I was there for school. There’s a place in my heart for West Virginia and I have always figured one day I’ll probably end up retiring there permanently. So I’ve a few states nearby as well, but I want to tackle WV first. Here are the things that I am seeking if you don’t mind helping out, thanks very much.

Warm people.

Not far from a VA hospital

Cheap rent under $750 a month

Low cost car insurance

Not too many hardcore rough areas like you’d find in Toledo OH or something.

Hey I’m just being honest.

The couple spots in West Virginia I got eyes on our Huntington West Virginia, Charleston West Virginia, and Clarksburg/Fairmont West Virginia

Appreciate the help. I got two months to decide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 05:17 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Huntington has a VA hospital. It is also a university city, so it is common to see people from different cultures. A New York accent won't be a turn off. I don't know about rent since my family members own their home in Huntington. Huntington has a good community feel. All you need to do is attend an event at the riverfront or at Ritter Park to see our friendly people are. Every city has a "less desirable" area. Find a place and ask. There are a few Huntington residents that will give you an honest opinion about them.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Huntington has a VA hospital. It is also a university city, so it is common to see people from different cultures. A New York accent won't be a turn off. I don't know about rent since my family members own their home in Huntington. Huntington has a good community feel. All you need to do is attend an event at the riverfront or at Ritter Park to see our friendly people are. Every city has a "less desirable" area. Find a place and ask. There are a few Huntington residents that will give you an honest opinion about them.
Yea I’ve had eyes on Huntington for quite a while now. I almost stayed out west when I left Seattle though. As I am a huge Idaho lover and there’s two spots left in Idaho that are still somewhat affordable but climbing by the week. That would be Pocatello and Idaho Falls. But they are rapidly getting more and more expensive due to the discovery by Californians. Hence housing costs are following suit. But that West Virginia dream always tugged at me. Plus it is an expensive as far as housing and also it brings me closer to the Northeast. Huntington is definitely intriguing. I want to have the car insurance rates are there

Old 12-16-2021, 09:45 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,622 times
Clarksburg/Fairmont and Huntington both have VA hospitals. Charleston has an Out-patient Clinic off Corridor G going toward Logan but no full-fledged VA hospital.

Rent of $750 per month could be a problem in today's market in all three places but I am just guessing since I am not a renter.

Car insurance will vary as most insurance companies base at least a portion of their rates on geographical regions. I doubt we have very many people who have lived in all three locations for a decent comparison. Maybe your current agent can help you research that with his/her company.

There are rough areas in all three of these cities but nothing would compare to Toledo.....

This is my two cents.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Clarksburg/Fairmont and Huntington both have VA hospitals. Charleston has an Out-patient Clinic off Corridor G going toward Logan but no full-fledged VA hospital.

Rent of $750 per month could be a problem in today's market in all three places but I am just guessing since I am not a renter.

Car insurance will vary as most insurance companies base at least a portion of their rates on geographical regions. I doubt we have very many people who have lived in all three locations for a decent comparison. Maybe your current agent can help you research that with his/her company.

There are rough areas in all three of these cities but nothing would compare to Toledo.....

This is my two cents.
There is plenty of rents under 750 in all three locations all day long interestingly. Too bad Charleston was in a little bit closer to Huntington to where the VA is. I wonder if they got a shuttle van that runs to VA a couple times every day from Charleston. Somebody in another Thread sent me an article about the Charleston VA not being a very good VA. But for my purposes, it probably wouldn’t affect me. Yes I always do mock quotes with my insurance agent prior to any where I would move to

Update: Upon further review, it looks like you are correct. The rents have definitely been going up in West Virginia even in Parkersburg. So it looks like everything is pretty much 700 and up more or less in most WV locations. Save a few run down looking spots which are cheaper.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 12-16-2021 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-18-2021, 05:11 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,948,424 times
I have a lot of love for Huntington and based on what you are saying, I think Huntington would be a great fit for you. The people here are very friendly and the area is very easy to get around in. From what a lot of people say, the VA here has great service and if there’s a specialty that they don’t have, one of the other two great local hospitals can fill the gaps. There’s always something going on in the area and having Marshall University here brings all of the extra activities that s college brings. If there’s any specific questions you have, I’d be happy to help you in any way that I can.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:04 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Nice to know there's a V.A. in Huntington! I'm relocating in that vicinity!

Old 05-02-2022, 07:18 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,276 times
Seems to me. finding a place midway between Huntington and Charleston would be the sweet spot! Charleston has a really neat farmers market that's worth a visit, and regular events by the water. I'm not that familiar with Huntington but renting/buying in a sweet spot location would result in the best of both worlds.

Old 05-04-2022, 01:08 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
If you choose Huntington, you could consider Ohio. Might give you more options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington