Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Whenever you're ready, just let me know!

And vec, don't worry about the spiders. They tend to be in places like you said, electrical boxes etc. but you RARELY encounter them in your house. Like I said, I've lived here my whole life and only encountered black widows 3-4 times. Plus they're not real aggressive, and you're a whole lot bigger than they are any way!
Thanks for the reassurance about the spiders. Guess I have a sorta spider phobia. When I was little the storage room in our basement was under my room - it got a lot of spiders. I can remember at least a couple times waking up to find I had spider bites. They were nothing serious, just itched, but the thought of spiders crawling on me while asleep still freaks me out. So the thought of a black widow crawling on me while alseep makes me goo-goo. Oh well, I love the property so will just put it out of my mind.

Also, I was worried about one biting my dog and instantly killing her but guess BW are not as dangerous as their reputation.

I held a turantula one time - they also are not like their reputation. The guide was more worried about us hurting the spider cuz they are fragile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
Hi Tim,

Thanks for another great link! I will definitely look into it and see if I can apply. I went to a career seminar today in Long Beach and got some resume tips and job search tips. My Mother picked up the movie, We are Marshall. I am going to watch it tomorrow. Things are starting to look up. I will start planning to visit WV. Have a good night!

Texas Turkey
I think that you'll really like the movie. With the exception of combining a couple of characters for sensitivity to the families and the sake of time and a few other minor things, it is all true. If you pay attemtion, one of the coaches for the Moorehead team they play is the real Red Dawson, the character that Matthew Fox plays. He still lives here in Huntington. There's also a neat promo at the beginning highlighting some of the outdoor treasures that WV has so make sure that you don't skip that. And the opening shot along with a lot of other scenes around town are actually Huntington. The restaurant that they show called Boone's is actually supposed to be Jim's, a real restaurant that is still open. The movie producers wanted Jim's to shut down for 2 weeks for shooting and they wouldn't do it because they didn't think it would be fair to their customers. Just some neat tid bits to keep in mind while you're watching. Hope you enjoy it and let me know if there's any way I can help you with your trip.
Tim

David Strathairn Online • www.david-strathairn.com (check out the We Are Marshall section for the WV promo and a few other clips.)

Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 AM

330 posts, read 1,314,224 times
Smile We are Marshall!

Quote:
I think that you'll really like the movie. With the exception of combining a couple of characters for sensitivity to the families and the sake of time and a few other minor things, it is all true. If you pay attemtion, one of the coaches for the Moorehead team they play is the real Red Dawson, the character that Matthew Fox plays. He still lives here in Huntington. There's also a neat promo at the beginning highlighting some of the outdoor treasures that WV has so make sure that you don't skip that. And the opening shot along with a lot of other scenes around town are actually Huntington. The restaurant that they show called Boone's is actually supposed to be Jim's, a real restaurant that is still open. The movie producers wanted Jim's to shut down for 2 weeks for shooting and they wouldn't do it because they didn't think it would be fair to their customers. Just some neat tid bits to keep in mind while you're watching. Hope you enjoy it and let me know if there's any way I can help you with your trip.
Tim

David Strathairn Online • www.david-strathairn.com (check out the We Are Marshall section for the WV promo and a few other clips.)
Hi Tim,

I really enjoyed the movie, We are Marshall. Especially the promotion by the Governor or WV, Joe Manchin III. The beautiful scenery was breathtaking! All of the river rafting, mountains, lakes, trees, trails and other outdoor sports and sites in WV. Matthew Mc Conaughey looked like he had a stroke, the way he kept talking through the side of his mouth. I also found out that some scenes were shot in Atlanta, Georgia. They were about to go over budget, and they had to relocate somewhere else because of the cost. The real Red Dawson did a cameo when he appeared briefly as Moorehead's football coach. At the end they showed clips of photos of the real Thundering Herd and Coach Jack Lengyl. It was very interesting and entertaining to watch. It made me look forward to my trip to WV even more. Thanks again for the movie recommendation and the education links.

Texas Turkey

Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 AM

I'm glad that you enjoyed the movie. The end is very neat when you get to see the pictures of the real people who the movie was about. Other than the opening shot of Huntington, I think that the montage at the end is my favorite part because of how it ties it all together. It's funny that you mentioned that about McConaughey. Lengyl does kind of talk out of the side of his mouth but no where near the extent that McConaughey did in the movie. You are right about some scenes being shot in Atlanta. The scenes they shot there were mostly the football scenes with a few others as well. With the exception of the Boone's place, all of the downtown shots were really Huntington and all of the Marshall campus scenes were really Marshall. The legislature waited until AFTER the crews left to pass legislation giving filming crews a tax break. Typical. The basketball player that they recruit did actually play for Marshall and he currently goes to my church which is neat. Again, glad that you enjoyed the movie and let me know if you need help with anything else.
Tim

Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM

Smile We are Marshall!

Quote:
I'm glad that you enjoyed the movie. The end is very neat when you get to see the pictures of the real people who the movie was about. Other than the opening shot of Huntington, I think that the montage at the end is my favorite part because of how it ties it all together. It's funny that you mentioned that about McConaughey. Lengyl does kind of talk out of the side of his mouth but no where near the extent that McConaughey did in the movie. You are right about some scenes being shot in Atlanta. The scenes they shot there were mostly the football scenes with a few others as well. With the exception of the Boone's place, all of the downtown shots were really Huntington and all of the Marshall campus scenes were really Marshall. The legislature waited until AFTER the crews left to pass legislation giving filming crews a tax break. Typical. The basketball player that they recruit did actually play for Marshall and he currently goes to my church which is neat. Again, glad that you enjoyed the movie and let me know if you need help with anything else.
Tim
Hi Tim,

And anyone else that watched, We are Marshall. Do you think the promo at the beginning of the movie was an attempt on behalf of the WV's Governor, Joe Manchin III, to recruit new transplants to WV? With a state with a population under 2 million people, (1,818,470 at '06 census) there is some space to spare in WV. In comparison, CA has a population of almost 37 million people. (36,457,549 at '06 census). Although, the estimation is quite higher at 40 million. Many Californians don't look that far east to relocate. It is usually AZ, NV, OR, CO, ID or WA. Maybe they should take another look at WV. I wouldn't think CA Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger would film a promo to recruit more transplants to CA, when it is overpopulated already.

Yes. Most of the movie was filmed in Huntington, WV except for some of the football and locker room scenes. I thought it was interesting that Jack Lengyl lobbied to have better regulations for transporting team members away on games. They no longer have to fly by charter planes to compete. The DVD I rented did not have CC. So, it was a little hard to follow by conversations alone. Didn't quite get why Marshall U's new team ended up being almost all freshman. What were the reasons why Jacky Lengyl couldn't they get older recruits from WVU and other surrounding schools? Or, other older athletes at Marshall U? That is great about Marshall U's football player still living in WV and attending your church. Thanks again for bringing us WV!

Texas Turkey

Last edited by Texasturkey; 08-26-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 PM

The promo at the beginning was mostly for tourism. Unfortunately, this state rarely promotes itself as a good place to live, just a good place to visit. I have yet to see something like this put out by the state that focused on promoting the cities in the state, the low cost of living, etc. in an attempt to get people to live here. Gov. Manchin is one who likes publicity and never misses an opportunity to be in front of the camera, that's why he was on there.

In terms of the recruits for the MU team, they were mostly freshmen because that was their biggest recruitment tool. No one else could play freshman at that time. It would have been hard to get people to transfer because the team didn't have high expectations. But you'd get freshmen here because this was the only place that they could play. And the guy that goes to my church was just in the movie, not on the real team. It's the guy that throws the pick playing basketball, with the thick rimmed glasses. He played basketball at MU from 2002-2006. He's a really good guy.

Can't wait until you get to visit and see some of the places on the DVD.
Tim

Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 AM

Default WV Tourism

Quote:
The promo at the beginning was mostly for tourism. Unfortunately, this state rarely promotes itself as a good place to live, just a good place to visit. I have yet to see something like this put out by the state that focused on promoting the cities in the state, the low cost of living, etc. in an attempt to get people to live here. Gov. Manchin is one who likes publicity and never misses an opportunity to be in front of the camera, that's why he was on there.

In terms of the recruits for the MU team, they were mostly freshmen because that was their biggest recruitment tool. No one else could play freshman at that time. It would have been hard to get people to transfer because the team didn't have high expectations. But you'd get freshmen here because this was the only place that they could play. And the guy that goes to my church was just in the movie, not on the real team. It's the guy that throws the pick playing basketball, with the thick rimmed glasses. He played basketball at MU from 2002-2006. He's a really good guy.

Can't wait until you get to visit and see some of the places on the DVD.
Tim
Hi Tim,

Yes. WV has a lot of river rafting and kyacking for their outdoor sports. The state wants to promote tourism, not relocation. If too many more people moved there, they wouldn't have the resources of funds for a much larger population. So WV remains USA's best kept secret. WV is the home of country singer Brad Paisely. He was born in Glen Dale, WV and later performed in Wheeling. He lives with his wife Kimberly Williams-Paisely and their young son in Nashville. I remember the actor in the We are Marshall movie with the thick glasses. That is interesting that he lives in WV and attends your church. Seems like there are a lot of great people in your state. I couldn't tell from the city-data WV map exactly where Huntington is. I think it is a border city near Ohio. What are some of the cities and towns in Central WV? Are they higher elevation in the Apalachian Mountains? Have a good night.

Texas Turkey

Last edited by Texasturkey; 08-28-2008 at 01:23 AM..

Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Huntington is right on the border of Ohio and is just minutes from the Kentucky border. One of the cities close to Huntington that is also in WV is called Kenova. It's name is derived from the states that come together near that point, KEN-O-VA. That's the town where the pumpkin house is and they also have a really neat drug store/soda fountain there straight out of the early 1900s. Charleston is probably the most central town in WV. Besides Huntington and Charleston, other notable towns include Parkersburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Martinsburg, Beckley, Lewisburg, Weirton, Fairmont and Elkins. The farther east you go in the state, the higher the elevation for the most part. Here's a map that might help and a link to a larger map.
Tim

Detailed West Virginia Map - WV Terrain Map

Old 08-29-2008, 12:19 AM

Thumbs up Map of WV

[quote=tbailey1138;5037124]Huntington is right on the border of Ohio and is just minutes from the Kentucky border. One of the cities close to Huntington that is also in WV is called Kenova. It's name is derived from the states that come together near that point, KEN-O-VA. That's the town where the pumpkin house is and they also have a really neat drug store/soda fountain there straight out of the early 1900s. Charleston is probably the most central town in WV. Besides Huntington and Charleston, other notable towns include Parkersburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Martinsburg, Beckley, Lewisburg, Weirton, Fairmont and Elkins. The farther east you go in the state, the higher the elevation for the most part. Here's a map that might help and a link to a larger map.

Detailed WV map

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the map of WV. It is great! I was looking for a more detailed map of WV. I can see the Apalachian Mountains are in the Eastern part of the state. There seems to be a lot of cities on the WV's state borders. Kenova (KY, OH and VA). That is so interesting and I would not have known otherwise. The other cities you mentioned were helpful too. There are some threads discussing if WV is the South. Most people agreed it depended on what part of WV. Like it is the most Southern state in the North or the most Northern state in the South. Depending on where in WV you are. God Bless WV!

Texas Turkey

Old 08-29-2008, 01:05 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,826 times
west virginia - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington