U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 PM

45 posts, read 113,590 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been reading about the recalls of beef from Kroger and I am conserned about buying my meat from there.

I was looking online for meat markets in Barboursville and or Huntington. I saw that there is Millers Meat Market on 14th street in Huntington. Can anyone give me any info on Miller's? How is the meat etc?

Also, how is the seafood at Jewel City Seafood? And the produce at the farmers market? Are these far better than what you would get in Kroger or Walmart?

Also, is there a good dairy there that you can get your dairy products straight from rather than getting them from the grocery store? We used to have a drive-thru dairy where I used to live in Ca and they had everything from milk to specialty ice cream bars.

Also, is the crime really as bad as what the Herald-Dispatch says it is? Not enough police to protect the public etc?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 02:48 AM

4,714 posts, read 12,362,362 times
For several years we bought our beef from the amish meat processors in Grantsville, Md. about 1 hours drive from Morgantown...locally grown and butchered by them for the public. They have gone the wayside of all businesses...thankfully, a neighbor raises cattle and we get 1/2 of a beef from him in the fall and share that with family and friends..
I would suggest you check for amish providers in the direction of Cambridge, Ohio. Surely a meat processing facility exists in that direction as the area is filled with amish farms.
We have all of the chain stores here in Morgantown and they are ok, but I've found exceptional quality meat at a discount chain that is a subsiderary to the FoodLand Corp out of Pittsburgh..Sav-a-lot...excellent butchers, who will do a little extra for you and they handle vaccume packed meats which are the freshest in my opinion...ribs and lions, which we use in profusion through the summer and fall..

I would expect an amish dairy exists in your same area but you will not find them on-line.

I needed some wooden wheels for an old 'buckboard several years ago and it was like this: Two wheelwrights existed on the internet...one in Maryland and one in Indiana..
The carpenter in Maryland had one phone, out in the cornfield and he was there for a couple of hours on a Saturday taking phone calls...the other guy in Indiana, had internet phone service and got the order...just too convienient for me as I wanted them in a hurry...8 weeks.

When a person wants something like these services, a discovery is in the making...hope you have some little ones to help make the journey an educational experience too..good luck. They might find out where brown eggs come from...

Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,761,584 times
Miller's Meat Market has been closed for some time but there are other places that you can get your meat. Jewel City does sell meat along with other seafood items. The products that they have are absolutely wonderful. There's also a local chain of grocery stores called Food Fair and they have a good meat section as well. Julian's Market in Huntington probably has one of the best meat markets, though. They have a lot of things that you can't find in the bigger stores plus they make their own sausage and other meats as well. They have a lot of nice things in their deli that you may like too. One other thing to look for is local meat companies. Cavelier meat and products from Ballards Farm produce sausage, hot dogs, and a variety of other things here locally so they are usually very fresh. The farmer's market here is pretty good too and they have a lot of fresh produce that is better than going to the big chain grocery store. As far as a drive-thru dairy, not sure about that one as I've never looked into it. There are some dairy farms in Wayne and Lincoln counties that may be able to do that for you. As an alternative, the Kroger's in Barboursville carries very fresh milk from a dairy farm in VA. They still put it in bottles and everything. It tastes so much better than regular milk.

To answer your question about crime, no it isn't bad here. There is one main area in Huntington where 90% of the crime here happens. Right now though, the police and fire unions are renegotiating their contracts and so there have been a lot of articles in the paper to help with public perception of those services and how much they are needed/worth. Currently, many in Huntington feel that the police and fire unions provide a wonderful service to the city, but in some ways they have taken advantage of it. One firefighter made almost $100,000 last year due to over time and his base salary was something like $40,000. The city is also making them pay more for their health insurance and they aren't too happy about it even though it is still less than the average person pays . I see both sides of the story on that one but that is part of why things like that have had more coverage lately. Another thing about the HD, they for some reason still have a small town mentality when it comes to crime. If anything happens here it is the top story on the front page. Even other cities in WV usually tuck these stories back in the later pages of the local papers. I check the front pages of many WV papers and when recent shootings happened in Charleston and Morgantown, not a mention on the front page. The HD tends to make things seem MUCH worse than they are because of their coverage of such things. They also cover the entire MSA which includes a larger city in both Ohio and Kentucky and all of the smaller areas as well. Added all together it can seem like a lot, but from my experience, crime here is not bad.

I hope this has helped.
Tim

Last edited by tbailey1138; 07-04-2008 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington