Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:15 PM

938 posts, read 2,893,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
You really will want a car... or better yet, a pickup.
A FWD car at least. Trust me...you don't want a RWD car come February. AWD car or 4x4 trucks are nice to have. Especially up in Morgantown where I live. If you've never driven in the snow on hills, you'll want to take it REALLY easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:43 AM

246 posts, read 879,193 times
When it comes to driving around here(Charleston) if you go the speed limit especially up a holler someone will get right on your tail pushing you to go faster. Also if you accidently pull in front of someone they will lay on the horn for awhile.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 AM

4,947 posts, read 8,923,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
A FWD car at least. Trust me...you don't want a RWD car come February. AWD car or 4x4 trucks are nice to have. Especially up in Morgantown where I live. If you've never driven in the snow on hills, you'll want to take it REALLY easy.
It's not bad in Huntington though. Huntington is probably the flattest city in WV and the mountains in the surrounding area are pretty much hills. We get very little snow here in a typical year with a decent snow of around 10 inches about every 5 years or so. You're probably used to much worse winter weather in NYC. AWD or 4 wheel drive can still come in handy though.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:38 AM

967 posts, read 2,991,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Nevins View Post
I might have an opportunity that I should take...

I am a Life Member of the NRA and it is my understanding that things I can't do in Manhattan, I can do in West Virginia.

I also don't own a car.

What surprises, ups/downs, etc. should I expect?
Having lived in NYC, and part-time in WV (full time in June! Woohoo!), you will be pleasantly surprised at the cost of most things. Much cheaper than the city- nowhere near the variety though. People will wave to you, and even be willing to engage in conversation. I once spent 45 minutes in a hardware store in Hinton because I asked the sales lady how she was doing.
The change in pace, and quality of life will be worth any inconvenience from having to own a car.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,238,133 times
Kookamus, do you remember some woman from Tennessee standing behind you in a McDonald's? I only ask because I found this post in the Tennessee board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykat&joe View Post
I was not exactly a city girl, but had never lived anywhere that hunting was a big-time thing. First visit to my (now-ex) inlaws, we stopped near charleston WV, and went to a burger place. Standing in line in front of us was this guy with a gun - rifle, shortgun, geez I don't know which - I was floored, wow, a gun, in public no less! Then I noticed all these furry tail things sticking out of his pockets. Ummmm... squirrels, maybe? ewwwww.

It gets worse, tho... once we bought the farm (down the road from my now-ex inlaw's farm), I would come home from work and there would be little skinned squirrel corpses in the fridge. double ewwwww! I never did overcome the aversion enough to try either cooking or eating them, and I divorced the squirrel murderer a while later. If the economy goes to south like it looks like it will, I have no nerve, so I will become a vegan!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 PM

217 posts, read 920,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
When it comes to driving around here(Charleston) if you go the speed limit especially up a holler someone will get right on your tail pushing you to go faster. Also if you accidently pull in front of someone they will lay on the horn for awhile.
They never do anything like that in New York City...

All: thanks for the good words. If all goes the way I want it, I'll be singing "Take Me Home, County Roads..."

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM

4,947 posts, read 8,923,190 times
Just let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.
Tim

Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,980,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
When you obtain your residence here you will be in gun paradise. You can buy any legal weapon. Walk into a gunstore pass the fbi check and walk out with the weapon. No permit to own. You need a permit to carry concealed, 75 bucks, background check and a test and it is good for 5 years. Carry anywhere but a school or gov building. Even if a place has a no guns sign, so what. if it's concealed how will they know? and if they discover it all they can do is ask you to leave. I carry a glock 17. 17 round mag and i have plenty of 33 round mags for it. Aks Ar15s sig 556 if you have the money your are good to go.
well I feel a little uneasy walking around now....

Old 10-08-2008, 03:51 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,776,381 times
NYC to Huntington? WOW!

NYC has 8.3 million in the city limits; 19.5 mill. in the MSA, 23 mill. in the commuter shed. That is 7% of the entire nation's population.

Huntington proper has 51,000. It's been on a very slow but steady decline since the 1950s. The entire metro, which includes Ashland and Russell in KY and Ironton in OH has not even 200,000 people.

Moving from an Alpha class city (one of only nine in the world) to the middle of Appalachia will be a culture shock. Huge. Think it through very thoroughly.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:01 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,062,833 times
Tbailey, my brother recently moved 1 block off Ritter Park, i've been taking my wife down there on some weekends so we can run the trails, and play some flag football with the guys. I love it down there.
Even if your from a big city, Huntington has something to offer just about anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington