Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 PM

17 posts, read 29,698 times

Advertisements

I read an article today where Huntington, WV was named the "heaviest" city in America, with more obesity than any other city in the survey. Is this true, can anyone tell me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,470,655 times
Yes. It is true. Roughly 50% of adult residents of Greater Huntington are obese (no, not merely "overweight", but full-fledged obese). The area ought to be hanging its head in shame over this, as well as its similarly dubious distinction of having the highest percentage nationwide of senior citizens who have lost all of their natural teeth. I just read a very lengthy article discussing these two very same issues. I can't fathom every other person being so corpulent!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,297,666 times
Hows 'bout youse Pennsi pukes going back to your home blog...your subliminal comments border on 'Racist...

Youse Pitt sh*tb*rds should hang your head in shame for invading our privacy...spend your time getting some bandages for the A** kicking coming to you in about 2 weeks..some of us remember last years football game...

Old 11-17-2008, 05:39 AM
x1x

227 posts, read 804,742 times
We eat a lot in West Virginia!! Thats how come we have no teeth, We wear them out eating...

Old 11-17-2008, 07:28 AM

4,947 posts, read 8,928,337 times
The author of this article used a lot of made up "facts" and described areas not even in the Huntington MSA in an attempt to make the image of the area a little more downtrodden. He also conveniently used the 2006 obesity data which was more than 10% higher than the data from 2005 and 2007. The 2006 data suggested a 45.3% obesity rate while 2007 suggested a 32.4% rate. Why not use the 2007 data since it's more recent? Because it wouldn't make it sound as bad. Local sources also looked in the phone book to check out his 200 pizza joint line, they only found 38. Sounds like someone is just trying to cook up a juicy article about an area that he assumed wouldn't fight back. Are there things Huntington can work on in this area? There sure are and they are doing that. But this article has a better place in the National Enquirer than it does the local paper. If it were as bad as the author claimed, would we have had over 1,000 participants in the recent marathon and half marathon? I doubt it. Funny how the author could put in the result of the mayoral race but he left out the marathon statistic. Also funny how he used the CDC data to compare cities, even though the CDC says that you can't really do this due to the nature of their data. Here are some local views on this article including reviews of it by people quoted in the original. Read these articles and then make your own decision.
Tim

Area labeled as nation's 'unhealthiest' - The Herald Dispatch
Fattest City Or Cooked Facts - Huntington News Network
UPDATED: CDC Does Not Rank Cities; AP Did Own Analysis Declaring Huntington Fattest City - Huntington News Network
Huntington: Fattest City in America?
Marathon shows off Huntington - The Herald Dispatch

Old 11-22-2008, 12:49 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,390,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Yes. It is true. Roughly 50% of adult residents of Greater Huntington are obese (no, not merely "overweight", but full-fledged obese). The area ought to be hanging its head in shame over this, as well as its similarly dubious distinction of having the highest percentage nationwide of senior citizens who have lost all of their natural teeth. I just read a very lengthy article discussing these two very same issues. I can't fathom every other person being so corpulent!
Don't feel bad, Scrandelphia held the title last year. Maybe ScranTON may win in 2009, hold on, I don't think there is anyone left in Scranton anymore.
Hey, Is that your Mayor you have your arm around on your Profile

Old 11-22-2008, 03:48 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,297,666 times
Would those Pennsi posters consider an Australian Fatulance Bag?

They do well at football games...sound just like a locomotive whistle if you're careful with the exhaust valve.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:53 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,595,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Hey, Is that your Mayor you have your arm around on your Profile
Georgia! Well done! I'd give ya some rep points but ya know, I gotta spread it around

Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,365,327 times
The Huntington area under fire is the Huntington Metro area - also includes part of Ohio and Kentucky. Of course, it wasn't as much fun for the author to point this out.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 PM

17 posts, read 29,698 times
Again, David, I have no correlation to Pennsylvania as I replied to you. YOU are quite offensive, presumptuous, and an uneducated loudmouth. City-data would be a far better place without people like you who just LOOK for people to be rude to without any merit or reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
View detailed profiles of: