Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 11:11 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what Barboursville is like?

(i am not going to ask specific questions but rather ask you to paint a picture in your opinion of the town to an outsider of any way you'd think it would be important for someone to understand about the town relating to everything and anything big or small...'let 'er rip!')

Any and every info would be appreciated. Thanks....Blue Grass Fever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 03:38 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
I'm a college student that has only been in the Huntington area for about a year so a locals view may or may not be vastly different than mine but in my oppinion Barboursville is a nice town, fairly small in population size, HUGE in commercial size, and essestially East Huntington. Huntington essentially spilled into the Barboursville area and the help of I-64, and available land made it prime real estate and has many stores, strip malls, a regional mall, car lots. I have never actually seen the residential area of Barboursville. I just travel along 5 Lane route 60 which has many shops, stores, and places of service along it.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I'm a college student that has only been in the Huntington area for about a year so a locals view may or may not be vastly different than mine but in my oppinion Barboursville is a nice town, fairly small in population size, HUGE in commercial size, and essestially East Huntington. Huntington essentially spilled into the Barboursville area and the help of I-64, and available land made it prime real estate and has many stores, strip malls, a regional mall, car lots. I have never actually seen the residential area of Barboursville. I just travel along 5 Lane route 60 which has many shops, stores, and places of service along it.
Are there more retail or industrial jobs in Barboursville?

Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Barboursville is a nice little town of just over 3,000 people. It benefits from being close to Huntington and has seen a lot of retail and residential growth over the last few years. Most of the jobs here are more retail based with more of the industries based in Huntington. It maintains a small town feel but has a lot of conveniences and opportunities that larger towns usually have. As far as living in the town goes, there are a lot of nice areas and nice benefits as well. Living in B'ville, as it is known locally, you do not have to pay city taxes and trash collection is free. It also has a 600 acre park with sports fields, a few lakes and some nice mountain biking paths. Sports are very big here, especially baseball as the local teams are usually in the state championships and often win them. All in all Barboursville is a very nice little town with a lot to offer. Speaking from experience it was a great place to grow up as well. Hope this helps. Here is the website for the town.
http://www.barboursville.us/
Tim

Old 03-11-2007, 04:49 PM

yea, tbailey pretty much hit it right on the head. There are way more retail jobs there, and the industrial jobs are more-so in Huntington. Which doesn't take too long to get to either

Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Barboursville is a nice little town of just over 3,000 people. It benefits from being close to Huntington and has seen a lot of retail and residential growth over the last few years. Most of the jobs here are more retail based with more of the industries based in Huntington. It maintains a small town feel but has a lot of conveniences and opportunities that larger towns usually have. As far as living in the town goes, there are a lot of nice areas and nice benefits as well. Living in B'ville, as it is known locally, you do not have to pay city taxes and trash collection is free. It also has a 600 acre park with sports fields, a few lakes and some nice mountain biking paths. Sports are very big here, especially baseball as the local teams are usually in the state championships and often win them. All in all Barboursville is a very nice little town with a lot to offer. Speaking from experience it was a great place to grow up as well. Hope this helps. Here is the website for the town.
http://www.barboursville.us/
Tim
Thank you! Very informative post!

I have another question: Do most of the people employed in Huntington and Barboursville actually live with-in city limits?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:02 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
There's a mix in terms of people living within city limits both in Barboursville and Huntington. Barboursville city limits are not very large so most people who live in the Barboursville area are just outside of city limits. One good example of this is East Pea Ridge. The kids in this area go to Barboursville schools but the residences have Huntington addresses and the area is not within the city limits of either place. There are a few areas like this in between B'ville and Huntington that you would think would be in city limits but are just outside. Barboursville doesn't see a huge increase in daily population based on employment but Huntington does. Here are the stats from the city data website for Huntington: Daytime population change due to commuting: +18,429 (+35.8%) Workers who live and work in this city: 14,536 (70.3%) I'd say a majority of workers live close by with most commutes being a half hour or less. A lot of people also come across the river from Ohio to work in Huntington as well. Hope this answered your question.
Tim

Old 03-13-2007, 10:04 PM

I know a lot of my professors also drive here from areas like Hurricane, Milton, and all areas in between.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 PM

64 posts, read 320,882 times
Virtually a life-long resident of Huntington and work in Barboursville every day. Know the area well. B'ville is a very clean, quaint town. They literally have city workers who sweep the streets daily ( both riding and on foot with brooms). There is some civil war history in town and lots of well preserved older buildings and homes. Housing goes from million dollar homes all the way down, but the majority is nice, well kept homes. The town is the home of the Huntington Mall- largest in the state (Huntington is several miles away). The town draws a tremendous amount of tax revenue from the mall and for that reason, you will have difficulty finding any pot holes in the roads. There are no unpaved streets or alleys in town. Plenty of police protection. Very clean town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington