Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,979,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbward View Post
they offered to sell us beer with our dinner at 6pm on sunday.... So alcohol can be sold on sunday in huntington...
finally!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 AM

4,947 posts, read 8,922,386 times
Looking for more info on this I found that beer and wine can be sold after 1 PM but no liquor, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is most of what clubs sell. I'm not intimately familiar with the laws as I don't drink so they don't really effect me. But, as proven though links, there are restrictions selling alcohol on Sunday. They are looking to change this but I'm not sure if it has passed yet.

Blue law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WV Liquor License Bill Advances; Opens Sunday Sales / WTAP - Parkersburg, Marietta and the entire Mid-Ohio Valley’s Online News Leader for Breaking News, Sports, and Weather in Parkersburg, Marietta, and the surrounding areas.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 AM

424 posts, read 1,290,194 times
The Create Huntington Video and concept is EXACTLY what I am talking about. Thank you Gottaherdon!

Need more motivated people like the core group that is in this video to get it done.

Does anyone know of any tax credits for buying older homes and rehabilitating them in the historic Huntington area?

Thanks!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 AM

4,947 posts, read 8,922,386 times
I don't think the city offers any in particular but there are savings you can get when doing your federal taxes. There are deductions for energy star savings, new windows and doors, etc. This is another area that I have tried to encourage city leaders to look into. One step at a time I guess.

And the Create Huntington movement is GREAT. I have been involved with this and went to the unveiling of their comprehensive plan on Monday and they are really tackling the hardest issues head on. Lots of good things coming from Create Huntington. We just need more stakeholders involved to help make these things happen. Here's the report and the article from the Monday meeting.

http://media.herald-dispatch.com/adv...050809_(3).pdf

Create Huntington calls on citizens - The Herald Dispatch

Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM

275 posts, read 706,745 times
If you drive along Hal Greer- towards I- 64, there's a Ramada Inn (my parents ALWAYS stay there when they come down to see family here), and there's a Super 8. I *Think* there is a Best Western down that way too. There's the Holiday Inn, the Pullman Plaza and another Ramada also in Huntington. Down near St. Mary's, they really need a hotel/motel, but it's not far from some of the other's I mentioned to be an inconvenience.

Create Huntington is an organization I'm actually involved in. Great steps forward and I'm so proud that the art's district is starting to grow here once again. As an artist... I was hoping for that!

Nightlife depends on what you are into. I always find stuff to get into... and we are not bar people and we don't drink. Not all of the attractions downtown are for the bar hoppers or college kids. Again, Pullman offers some great concert series during the summer, but this year I believe it is moved to 4th avenue. Sometimes you may have to travel to Ashland, KY or Barboursville, but I'm more than willing to drive 15- 20 minutes for a night out.

Look around and you'll be surprised by what you find!!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,755,915 times
I like that video. Works out best when you enable people to help themselves.

OP you don't sound like you'd be happy in WV.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,293,197 times
mattbward: A program existed like that in Clarksburg last year...buying an older home in the steepest, drug infested areas of the city for $1.00...with the promise to re-hab. Was kept quiet, and I think the houses on those streets have been taken. City did not want to bring attention to its problems and only certain parties got the homes.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,755,915 times
Likely an income requirement DK. Usually banks won't loan people to fix things unless they have a track record of doing so. The road to hell is paved in unfinished projects.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,225,182 times
Uh-oh, I'm in trouble then. My house and yard is filled with unfinished projects.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
From the State ABCA Code Violations for Private Clubs:

Violation H-001 60-7-12(a)(5) SELLING ON SUNDAY

Violation Code Cite Listing (http://www.wvabca.com/viol.htm - broken link)

From alcohollaws.org

"Spirits are sold in retail liquor stores in West Virginia, but these beverages are limited those less than 95% alcohol. Beer and wine are typically available in the grocery or a convenience store, but beer is limited to 6% alcohol. It is illegal to sell alcohol on Sundays by state law, but local ordinances mandate the hours that restaurants, bars, and liquor stores may sell alcohol."
West Virginia Alcohol Laws

There was legislation to change this but I don't think it passed before the deadline.

So yes, state law prohibits selling alcohol on Sunday but local law may set hours. Huntington being in the Bible Belt, as you pointed out, sticks with state law from what I've seen and heard.
Right... state law does not prohibit selling alcohol on Sunday if local law permits it. It is not permitted in Huntington because they do not permit it. It is permitted in most of the northern towns, thus state law does not prohibit it there. West Virginia seems to be moving more in the direction of home rule and local option. Personally, I believe that to be a good thing. I can see no logical reason why I should be prohibited from enjoying a glass of wine with my meal in Morgantown just because it is a Sunday. Fortunately, I can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington