Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 12:27 PM

28 posts, read 79,711 times

Advertisements

Next week I make the trek east to WV.

I went out last week and found a place to live, close but not too close to the hospital.

I was wondering when/where will I be able to buy local produce? Since I'll be living in town, I don't foresee driving by roadside stands much, but I'd like to support the local economy and local products.

I also do not shop at Wal-Mart so would like to know what are the better options for grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:25 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times
The Farmer's Market is on 14th St West where the antiques district is. They are open on Saturdays now but the plan is to be open 6 days a week at the end of this month. There is also a great butcher on 14th St W. as well called Johnny's . If you are going to be close to Cabell Huntington Hospital, there's a little local grocery store called Julian's that you can get most of the stuff you'll need. It's on 12th St between 10th and 11th Aves. The Foodfair on 1st St is locally owned and will likely suit all of your other needs. If you need more, there's also a Kroger on 1st street and another on 5th Avenue. Hope this helps.

Tim

Central City Market (http://www.centralcitymarket.com/index.htm - broken link)
Meat market opens Huntington branch - The Herald Dispatch
FoodFair

Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
I remember the old farmer's market they had near the bridge in the early 60's, it seemed much larger than the new one but perhaps that's just the memory of a kid. I've gone to the new one with my aunt a few times, I do hope they keep it open more and get more vendors. West Virginia tomatoes are the best. I also remember that area from when I was a kid, 14th St. did not have a nice reputation. One of the buildings on 14th St. has "Overby" lettered at the top, that was a great-great aunt who had a beauty parlor there in the 20's.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:28 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times
You know that they have a tomato festival here every year don't you Bobilee? I'm not sure when it is this year but I'll keep an eye out for you.
Central City Market (http://www.centralcitymarket.com/tomatofestival.htm - broken link)

And if 14 St W. used to have a bad rep, you'd never know it now. With all of the antique stores, farmers market, butcher, Central City cafe and the J Taylor auto collection, there's a lot of neat stuff there.

Taylor Auto Collection
Central City Cafe makes Food Network debut - The Herald Dispatch

Also reminds me, njac there is an outlet store for our local bread company, Heiner's Bakery (part of Sara Lee) just around the corner from 14th St. W. They sell bread, bagels, etc at a much discounted price. Sometimes the bread there is so fresh that it still has steam on the bag. Heiner's is truly a Huntington staple. The smells that come from that bakery are wonderful.

Welcome to Heiner's Bakery : Maker of Enriched Breads, Rolls, and Buns

Old 06-20-2009, 06:51 PM

28 posts, read 79,711 times
thanks!! too bad I missed it today, but I will keep an eye out for when it is open more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington