Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
Here, I'll even hold your hand a bit, its about malice and ill intentions. As with most of the human language this word is malleable and many meanings can be contrived. I'm sure the white person using that word meant it in a completely different manner than the rapper. Context is everything especially when it comes to a possibility of insulting someone.

This is not new but denotes good manners.
I'm well aware of the meaning of context. I wanted you to verify that you were, in fact, stating that as long as you say ni**ger in a certain context, it's OK. If you recall, Jesse Jackson said "...who does that ni**er think he is...". The point being made in these posts is that there is a double standard as to who can or cannot use the word. Regardless of context. Jesse Jackson certainly wasn't using the word because he wanted to convey good feelings. Yet he walked away from it unscathed. A white guy saying that would be drawn and quartered. That is a double standard, based on race. It's racism. No "reverse" to it, just pure racism that is tolerated because the perpetrator is black. Same with rap and hip-hop usage.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 PM

638 posts, read 929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
I'm well aware of the meaning of context. I wanted you to verify that you were, in fact, stating that as long as you say ni**ger in a certain context, it's OK. If you recall, Jesse Jackson said "...who does that ni**er think he is...". The point being made in these posts is that there is a double standard as to who can or cannot use the word. Regardless of context. Jesse Jackson certainly wasn't using the word because he wanted to convey good feelings. Yet he walked away from it unscathed. A white guy saying that would be drawn and quartered. That is a double standard, based on race. It's racism. No "reverse" to it, just pure racism that is tolerated because the perpetrator is black. Same with rap and hip-hop usage.
So even if what you claim within your post is correct does it make the white person any more right? I agree both instances can be considered in a racist light. However the OP of this post asked how comfortable they would be in WV. A black person moving to a predominately white state such as WV would understandably feel uncomfortable in an environment in which white people used such terminology. No if ands or buts’ about it. That terminology in context amongst a white majority definitely leaves an unwelcome taste in one's mouth.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:58 PM

212 posts, read 699,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Yes, because there is no internet, or means of keeping up with the world when you live "in the country". If not for smoke signals and the migratory patterns of birds, we'd be unable to communicate with the outside world, and may even miss the changing of seasons. Therefore, we country folk must still be racist. Excellent deduction.

Some guy who ventured into our land-of-the-lost had a bumper sticker on his car that indicated a black guy was president. Taft is out of Office? It's so difficult to see out of the holes in this bed sheet, I may have missed the last 50 years.

Duh.

Thanks for cracking me up.I needed that.Peace,..later

Old 10-08-2009, 06:01 PM

212 posts, read 699,832 times
Upon reading these posts i had to reply.To the OP i don't know if you should move anywhere,or west virginny.
However since i am completely non racist i will bless this thread with some absolute truths.I teach my son to not think of people as white and black.as if there is some line of dileneation(?sp)?
Number one,....the word n****r is a negative term,in any form,context or regardless of the shade of skin of the speaker of the word.Word !!!
My son will never say the word that represents a terrible negative reference to people of darker skin tones.He will also never sign songs about stupid ginnies,wops,dagos and greasers.My dad put up with a lot of bullcrap like that,and had to change his name from enrico to henry.You start calling me or my son any of those names and you won't know how final those comments were until i own you or crack your silly head into a long jail term for me.
Do you hear any groups calling themselves or singing songs about themselves as spics,wops,chinks,blockheads,*******s,******s,lezb os etc.,etc.?I apologize if i missed your particular slur for your heritage.
I tell you that there is a reason you don't.Why do we hear the N word as if it's ok?I have no clue.It is the stupidest thing i have heard defended since i heard slavery and the holocost defended.
Any darker skinned person that refers to himself as a n****r or his relatives friends,etc., is an idiot at best.WORD !!!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Nice pic of Ed Burns...'cookie, cookie, lend me your comb...a killer show before TV's were in color..

What was that red hairwax in the push-up tube?

If you had a flat-top, you had the wax..

Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 AM

300 posts, read 819,839 times
Quote:
. . A black person moving to a predominately white state such as WV would understandably feel uncomfortable in an environment in which white people used such terminology. No if ands or buts’ about it. That terminology in context amongst a white majority definitely leaves an unwelcome taste in one's mouth.
As for the unwelcome taste in one's mouth, having one's head stuck up one's ass can do that.

I've heard the word "******" about four times in 2 years :
* black man irritated by Jesse Jackson for using it, context of conversation, and he emphasized it with the replacement, "n word".
* black youth calling the other black youth, "******".
* white at a convenient store, 12 pack in arm.
* white neighbor, to whom I address, racist.

I've heard the words "white devil" too. Not a balanced a smear there. It was from blacks only. What do you think? Next time I hear some revival tent snake oil salesman spreading their hate using this, I should point out the error to them, and their audience?

Last edited by red.ochre; 10-09-2009 at 06:06 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 07:00 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
In Wv this term is not religated completely to people with black skin...in my lifetime, I've heard it used to describe certain people with white skin...several times..as such, I never thought of it as a totally racist term.

but more as a term for laziness in the extreme...

A definition thrown out by the Politically Correct Police.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 AM

638 posts, read 929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.ochre View Post
As for the unwelcome taste in one's mouth, having one's head stuck up one's ass can do that.

I've heard the word "******" about four times in 2 years :
* black man irritated by Jesse Jackson for using it, context of conversation, and he emphasized it with the replacement, "n word".
* black youth calling the other black youth, "******".
* white at a convenient store, 12 pack in arm.
* white neighbor, to whom I address, racist.

I've heard the words "white devil" too. Not a balanced a smear there. It was from blacks only. What do you think? Next time I hear some revival tent snake oil salesman spreading their hate using this, I should point out the error to them, and their audience?
I wouldn't suggest pointing anything out to them. If your black and you take offense to the term then maybe a confrontation will be in order. Your personal battles are not mine to make however.

As to the reasoning that black people use the term, your guess will be as good as mine. The main argument that one definitely cannot make however is in the comparison of blacks to any other group. Blacks within this country share a unique history within this country. I know many of you here will probably attack me for stating this however disagreeing does not make it any less true. Racism against blacks (in the severest of terms) only recently ended, and in some places still rears its ugly head (ie: the black man drug to death behind the pickup truck in Texas a few years back).

Many people forget that numerous individuals are still alive that experienced horrendous acts against their person only for being black. Look at Rosewood, FL as an example. In 1923 the black town of nearly 500 was burned to the ground killing half the populace and scattering the rest. Why? Because a married white lady accused a black drifter of raping her. It turned out later that she was having an affair with a married white male who beat her after a rendezvous. Counted among the dead were elderly and children. Or let’s look at the race riots of the 50’s a 60’s (a direct response to the attempt at the disenfranchisement of the black vote). These riots also were linked to Jim Crow laws, laws that did nothing but continue the institution of slavery.

Now many of you here will attempt to espouse that these individuals “just get over it”, “racism is dead”, “your suffering was perpetrated by people long dead, and you had no dealings in it yourself”. All of these items are untrue, and are deliberate attempts at turning the focus of race discussions on black people. Army veterans get special treatment after experiencing the violence of war and are even diagnosed as having post traumatic stress disorder. What do blacks get for experiencing equal atrocities: “just get over it”, “racism is dead”, “your suffering was perpetrated by people long dead, and you had no dealings in it yourself”. Does that sound right to you?

The survivors of Rosewood, kept their silence until 1983, when a son of a female survivor gave an interview to a reporter. His mother upon finding out nearly disowned him. The fear of race retribution in a case (where none of the white perpetrators received one day in jail) was still palpable and strong to her. Some of the survivors had lost their minds during the ensuing years, and one of the only white individuals that defended the town drank himself to death several years later. Attempt to place yourself in the shoes of these individuals, and please realize that institutionalized racism is only one generation removed from us currently. Many of these fears have been passed down to later generations as have the scars. Please realize that the mind can be a horribly fragile thing especially in the face of traumatic events.

To conclude the attempt of my argument is in no way and attempt to broad brush the racial situation. White people aren’t all evil, and black people aren’t all good. The point is to illustrate the humanity of blacks. Obviously not all blacks use the term n****r, all blacks do not gang bang, and wear their pants low, and sit leaned back in their cars. The lack of the ability to see the humanity of blacks is illustrated in some of the posts here. The question asked in terms of why do blacks use the above term is symptomatic of this. If a handful of whites do something, the entire race is never characterized as such, whereas if the same group of blacks do the same thing, then all blacks are such. This was heavily demonstrated in Ronald Reagan’s welfare mother program. His utilization of the unmarried black female underpinned a racist ideology that those on welfare are black, when the exact opposite was true at the time. People bought it however, hook line a sinker. Even blacks fell into this train of thought. I’m sorry that this ran long, however realize that people are people, and please show some understanding. A favorite quote of mine from HR Tolkiens Lord of the Rings is that of Gandalf. Frodo states that he wishes Gollum dead. Gandalf looks at Frodo an states “do not be so hasty in dealing judgment and death, even the wisest of individuals cannot view all the hands at play”.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:40 AM

300 posts, read 819,839 times
Quote:
As to the reasoning that black people use the term, your guess will be as good as mine.
Your arguments might work in Washington, DC, due to a population contaminated with the plague of stupidity called political correctness -- but this is West Virginia. The use of the term "white devil" by snake oil salesmen, Farrakhan, Wright, et. al., is racist.

There isn't any guessing about it.

Quote:
White people aren’t all evil . .
Quote:
The lack of the ability to see the humanity of blacks is illustrated in some of the posts here.
Quote:
A favorite quote of mine from HR Tolkiens Lord of the Rings is that of Gandalf.

YouTube - Hindenburg disaster

Last edited by red.ochre; 10-09-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington