Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,067 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are going to be moving to Huntington, West Virginia, and we are going to have to rent a place before seeing it due to the sudden move. I was wondering if any one could give me a little more information about the Rotary Park area, as the home that we are going to rent is located in that area. I have read online about the homosexual hangout/sex for sale in the area, but I dont tend to take to heart about what I read online usually. I could care less if homosexuals hang out at the park, but I wanted to see if this was just a bad area to live altogether. By bad I mean high in crime, drug selling/using/etc.

Thanks!!
Brienne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:35 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,084 times
I've never known anyone who lives in that part of Huntington so I can't give you any specifics but I've never heard anyone complain about that area being bad. The park itself is nice with a walking path, an overlook tower and a disc golf course as well as some baseball fields. The area is also right off of Route 60, very convenient to downtown and not far from the interstate. When you go to look for a more permanent home, one of the best areas in town is the Southside around Ritter Park. Welcome to Huntington and let me know if you need anything else or have any other questions.

Tim

Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 PM

73 posts, read 83,468 times
I've not heard of Rotary Park as a big sex trade area either, but what do I know? I quit the business years ago.

Just kidding.

It's not the most posh section of town, but then again, who IS high-class 'round here? I lived in Walnut Hills for years, and it was just fine. It's just folks, trying to make a living.
I think if I were going to move to town, I'd look around St. Mary's/Highlawn. They have a really active community association and there are pockets of people doing the right thing.
Welcome to town!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times
I too have heard those rumors about the park. I'm gay though, and know lots of gay people. I think most of us prefer to have sex in our homes, just like everyone else. I like running in that park though compared to Ritter because there are less people and its a great view of the city.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,067 times
Thank you for my daily laugh. I too think most people in general prefer the house I was reading threads earlier about this particular section, and it was amazing to me about the various things people would write. Thanks for the feedback, nothing is worse than a crowded park!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:32 AM

394 posts, read 1,430,341 times
I had a few friends live in that area when I went to MU and it's a good area. Really, most of Huntington is. The only parts that made me feel a bit edgy was the area between Hal Greer and 25th st., south of 8th avenue and parts of the west end of town. Huntington has issues - as all cities do, but once you live in bigger, major cities across the country, you learn to appreciate cities like Huntington. It's not a bad place to live.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:46 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,814 times
My son lives near Rotary Park - a few blocks past the entrance. They are mostly single family homes with an occasional apartment near him. It's safe enough that he feels secure in raising his new baby in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
View detailed profiles of: