Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 AM

17 posts, read 75,499 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in the Huntington area. I would love to live in the country within a resonable commuting distance. I have lived in the country all my life. I love to hunt and fish. I also have children and schools would be a factor. Is this possible because of the urban sprawl?
Another question. I have noticed that Huntington is close to Kentucky and Ohio. Would there be a difference in chosing to live in either of these (Taxes, schools, housing prices)? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:21 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Living close to Huntington but being out in the country wouldn't be too difficult. For all things considered, your best bet would be to look in the outlying areas around Barboursville and Milton and then also look out Route 10 toward Salt Rock and along Route 2 as well. All of the options would put you within about 20 minutes of the things you need to get to but are still out in the country. Living in these areas, there would likely be many opportunities to hunt or even fish. If you like boating, the Ohio River provides some great opportunities for boating and fishing.

My recommendation would be to focus your search in Cabell County, where Huntington is located, as this will be where most of the things you will need are based. Wayne County, also in WV, might also be an option for you though as you would still be in a more rural setting but closer to things you would need as well. The school system in Cabell County would likely serve your needs better though. In terms of taxes between the states, here some tax info to compare as well as a link to the Huntington Board of Realtors. I hope this is helpful and let me know if you need anything else.

Tim

http://www.huntingtonboardofrealtors.com/

Cabell County Schools - Dedicated to the Success of Every Student

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > West Virginia

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > Kentucky

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington