Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times

Advertisements

Some local optometrists are not only rebuilding their office building that burnt down, they also renovated the building beside them and turned it into upscale condos and are fixing up the retail space as well. Nice to see these things come to fruition and more living space renovation is already being talked about for more downtown Huntington buildings.

Building features condos, retail space - The Herald Dispatch

A new deli is also opening up along third ave across from Pullman Square. There are local groups trying to bring a Trader Joes or Whole Foods to the area, but in the meantime, some local business people decided to go ahead and open their own upscale grocery/deli. Wright's Clothing store has renovated and is about to reopen under new ownership along with 3 other businesses being prepared in the same building. That's in addition to the condo renovations going on in that building too. Great to see so much going on. If the $250 million development happens as planned, that will just be the icing on the cake.

third & NINTH

Wright's to reopen under new ownership - The Herald Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Very nice, especially with the goal they had in mind of
replacing the drug transactions and prostitution that
has been going on in that area. If more people would
step up like that, real positive momentum can be
achieved! Nice post, Tim.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Very nice, especially with the goal they had in mind of
replacing the drug transactions and prostitution that
has been going on in that area. If more people would
step up like that, real positive momentum can be
achieved! Nice post, Tim.
lol drug transactions and prostitution in the area??? for the loveeeeeeee. Realy!?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:03 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
lol drug transactions and prostitution in the area??? for the loveeeeeeee. Realy!?
You've gotta realize.. to us rural Motown residents, hunington has big city problems like NYC!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 AM

I think he was referring to CT's usual mantra of finding the negative about something postive for Huntington and making sure to point it out. He usually gets mad when someone does that to his posts. And drugs and prostitution shouldn't shock anyone living around Morgantown. Club Envy and the Morgantown Madame ring a bell? Guess those problems exist in most places nowadays, not just the "big city".

Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I think he was referring to CT's usual mantra of finding the negative about something postive for Huntington and making sure to point it out. He usually gets mad when someone does that to his posts. And drugs and prostitution shouldn't shock anyone living around Morgantown. Club Envy and the Morgantown Madame ring a bell? Guess those problems exist in most places nowadays, not just the "big city".
I'm pretty sure my response was a positive one in keeping with
the tone of the article. I can't imagine why you're objecting.

Did you even read the article posted. That was the reason the
man stated in the article for his improvements. I think it is a
worthwhile goal considering the area. Don't you? What, are you
suggesting he was wrong or off base, or are you launching into
your usual "mantra" of criticizing comments that don't fit your
mindset perfectly? It has nothing to do with Morgantown...
NOTHING. You are bringing negativity into it. I was merely
quoting your posted article. Read what you posted and get
back to us.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:06 PM

I didn't directly object. I was just guessing at the reason behind GHO's post based on previous exchanges. If I was wrong, I apologize to him. I know it was part of the article and expected that you'd pull it out in a post. I've come to expect it and can typically see that in your mind, you often mean well in your posts but it just doesn't always come across that way.

And the comment about things like that being everywhere was directed toward Jesco. He stated "You've gotta realize.. to us rural Motown residents, hunington has big city problems like NYC!" So it was in reference to his post and to show that unfortunately, these types of things are everywhere nowadays.

I agree with you about improvement and think that you have to have new development to clean up areas. Without renovation, you get slum properties that aren't maintained, lose value and attract a criminal element. For things to get better, they have to be renewed so to speak and luckily, that is happening in Huntington.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:35 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
I didn't directly object. I was just guessing at the reason behind GHO's post based on previous exchanges. If I was wrong, I apologize to him. I know it was part of the article and expected that you'd pull it out in a post. I've come to expect it and can typically see that in your mind, you often mean well in your posts but it just doesn't always come across that way.
You're right indeed Tim. CT I appreciate your kind words for Huntington, it's just how you have to throw in the negative after the positive. There is a term for that and it escapes my memory. Whether or not you're being sincere is not my question, perhaps the negative just flies in there subconsciously because you view anything "not" Morgantown as a threat. (I know... it sounds ridiculous, but it's a possibility)

I don't know, it just gets frustrating to read posts constantly about something positive about Huntington and then only to see that you've commented with a pseudo positive response coupled with mentioning something negative.

I don't even have any attachment really to Huntington, it's nothing personal... just grinds my gears.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:

And the comment about things like that being everywhere was directed toward Jesco. He stated "You've gotta realize.. to us rural Motown residents, hunington has big city problems like NYC!" So it was in reference to his post and to show that unfortunately, these types of things are everywhere nowadays.

I agree with you about improvement and think that you have to have new development to clean up areas. Without renovation, you get slum properties that aren't maintained, lose value and attract a criminal element. For things to get better, they have to be renewed so to speak and luckily, that is happening in Huntington.
Well Tim, if you think you can read my mind you are even more nuts than I suspected. Just for fun, what am I thinking right now? I meant absolutely nothing negative and was only reinforcing what you posted. Am I holding up one finger or two?

Contrary to your clarvoiant insight, I actually want to see Huntington do well. I went to school there, remember? I just happen to
see things through some different filters than you do. You're a big boy, I'm sure you can live with that. We are of different generations
and have different experience sets. Sometimes that comes across as being critical to you younger folks. In a way it is, but experience
has taught me there is a place to be critical. Anyway, you had a good post and I think I pointed that out.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 PM

How does one have to be a mind reader to use experience from other posts i.e. what you write in one post and then what you say in another to draw a conclusion? You write something that comes across as making a point to draw attention to a negative, then you say you didn't mean it that way. That usually means that you intend a post to contain one tone (in your mind) the way you write it but it comes across as being another tone to other people when they read it (perception). It's the same way that I inferred what GHO intended from his post, using past experience and guessing. Really not that hard of a concept and it involves no mind reading.

Also, I'm not complaining about your post. I guess I've just come to expect that type of response. It was part of the article and again, if you'll note, I was just guessing (correctly apparently) what GHO meant by his post to answer a question from Jesco.

Thanks for the props on the good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington