Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:02 PM

77 posts, read 135,237 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a lot of what I call "thumpers" driving through my subdivision lately and it is really getting annoying. In case you don't know, a 'thumper' is someone that drives around with their car's bass WAY too high.

It really causes my blood to boil to hear them go by. Is there anything to be done about this or am I just going to have to find a way to calm down?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 PM

2,457 posts, read 3,227,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead80 View Post
I've noticed a lot of what I call "thumpers" driving through my subdivision lately and it is really getting annoying. In case you don't know, a 'thumper' is someone that drives around with their car's bass WAY too high.

It really causes my blood to boil to hear them go by. Is there anything to be done about this or am I just going to have to find a way to calm down?

Where are you located? If you are in the city limits, you probably have a better chance at getting something done. Call the police about noise ordinance violations.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,871,575 times
Quote:

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 PM

77 posts, read 135,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Too old has nothing to do with it. It just annoys me that anyone thinks that other people need to hear their bass stereo while driving around.

I can't believe that some people are so 'me! me! me!' that they have zero consideration for others. People come home to relax and enjoy their homes; not to listen to that. If someone wants to listen to music that way then more power to them. But as soon as it spills over and effects other people then things change.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:44 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,113,617 times
We have them in Kentucky, Michigan, and Ohio.

Catch their license plate, make model of the car, and which direction they're headed. Call and just say to keep a lookout on em.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 AM

801 posts, read 2,215,411 times
I'm with you on this one, aerohead. My son and I have called them thumpers for years. I can hear and feel them here in Albuquerque even when they are too far away to see them. There are some ordinance laws around here related to them, but like so many laws in Albuquerque, they will never be enforced. Considering how self-absorbed so many people in our society (if you can call it that) are these days, your only option may be to flee to more rural areas if you can.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:54 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,042,263 times
Quote:

I try not to hate anyone. But I do know what you mean. I used to live in an apartment complex like that and it did drive me nuts! A few times I was able to run out and tell the person not to do that. I think at least some of these people are oblivious to what they are doing, and if you make the time to tell them, some will be more considerate.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,042,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When the offending "thumper" has his (and yes, it's almost always a guy) windows rolled up and you have the windows/doors to your house/apartment closed and you can still hear them thumping loud and clear, then it's time to get in the thumper's face about it or call the cops on them (if the cops will bother to enforce any laws/ordinances).

Old 06-19-2010, 05:03 AM

39 posts, read 81,558 times
they are also the bane of my existence, I remember living in Clarksville, TN and we made the mistake of buying a house on a semi-busy road and the thumpers would roll by on occasion. Keep in mind we were set a good distance from the road too. Now before moving in somewhere where I suspect it may be a problem I go in the house, shut the doors and try and listen for noise. But I don't the cops have time to be chasing down thumpers. But I know some areas they are really trying to crack down on them.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:32 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,205,629 times
They're every where.

It's annoying to me, but when it really aggravates me is at night when it's quiet and you can hear them coming for a half mile. Aggravating at the gas station as you're pumping gas and someone is so impressed with their musical tastes that they just know that everyone else wants to hear it while they fill up...

In my area the police are about non-existent and I'd rather them be chasing down meth labs any way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area