Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 PM

119 posts, read 233,252 times

Advertisements

Since most of you know I just got a house in HSV now I am looking to outfit it with a few more odds and ends.
On my wish list:
Patio set
Bedroom dresser
two large mirrors
coffee table
end table
night stand
area rugs
2-3 chairs to go with a kitchen table some one gave me

I want to spend around 500-600 total and don't mind sanding and painting, actually I would prefer to do this with some of the pieces so it looks more like a set then college style acquired junk.

So, bargain hunters, point me in the right direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
First, I would suggest you become a member of Huntsville Freecyclers. This is a group you can join online that works to keep many items out of the landfill by placing unneeded/wanted items with people who can use them, for free. Just google Huntsville freecycle to go to the site.

Next, I would check out the local thrift stores. There is one on Oakwood, west of the Parkway next door to Kroger, another just across the street from the Oakwood store in the shopping center, and there is Value Village @ the corner of the Parkway and where Sparkman Drive becomes Hwy 72. I've been told the Asbury Methodist has a good thrift out in Madison and they have reasonably priced good quality home furnishings.

Lastly, there is a little shopper paper available locally (usually at the front door of resturants and supermarkets) called The Thrifty Nickle. I have bought a couple of pieces via this paper. A word, here in Huntsville, like anywhere else, always take someone with you when you go to look at any item at a private home or storage unit. There are "nuts" here just like anywhere else.

There are lots of Thrift Stores in Huntsville. Thrifting is one of my favorite activities. I just love making a deal and getting something that I can work with for a cheap or at least reasonable price.

If this is not exactly what you have in mind, there are other options, but you will spend more. There are two consignment shops that I know of for furniture. One is on Governors (I don't know the name). The other one is "Encore" it is on University Drive.

If you plan to buy new. Avoid Ashley Home Furnishings. I had a terrible experience with them and later learned via Citydata Huntsville that many have had the same poor service experience with them.

Good Luck with your search. Welcome to Huntsville.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:23 PM

I hate that you have to sign up for yahoo to go onto the site I don't want a yahoo profile.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,158 times
BK- try Big Lots for inexpensive stuff.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,649 times
Search on Craigslist also. Happy shopping!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:35 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
I forgot Big Lots. They sometimes have nice furnishings. Alot of their linens and kitchen accents are Sears and Pennys closeouts.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I agree you can get some good furniture at Big Lots some expensive some pretty reasonable. Not sure what 'The Ark' has but they have a thrift store too.

If you can hold off on buying patio furniture you can get a good deals toward the end of summer. My friend got a great deal on a metal table for $35 and chairs were $10 each from Lowes on sale.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
If you can hold off on buying patio furniture you can get a good deals toward the end of summer. My friend got a great deal on a metal table for $35 and chairs were $10 each from Lowes on sale.
FWIW, Lowe's already has their Dutton patio furniture pieces marked down to less than $10/chair (regularly $32) and $20 (reg. $60) or $30 (reg. $98) depending on what size table you want. Plenty of availability in the Huntsville area. You can find 10% off coupons online (ebay or the USPS Mover's kit) for a bit more savings as well.

Shop dutton at Lowes.com

Or there is this $100 set in-store at Home Depot. Link for reference:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...4374&t=2085590

Last edited by bmrisko; 06-27-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 PM

93 posts, read 177,600 times
haven't been there myself, but Habitat ReStores are supposed to have furniture. If anyone has been there, maybe they can give more feedback on the one in Huntsville.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 PM

Unfortunately I want something like this... for the 100 price.

Shop Garden Treasures 3pc Wicker Bistro Set at Lowes.com

I have not been to the habitat ReStore here, but I went to one in VA. Great if you are looking for stuff during a house build, and some odds and ends furniture but we didnt find anything we could use. I also went to Big Lots today wasn't a huge fan. Patio stuff was hit or miss, I did see a bench I liked but it would be for a bedroom. I will keep hunt on craigslist but I heard around here yard sales are really the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area