Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,438 times

Advertisements

just would like some input on this area around huntsville . would very much like to move there . like the area and the lakes . my wife and i love to bass fish. we both have been in the automotive field for over 15 years .
gm, ford and dodge parts and serive . wife is parts mng at this time and i am service mgr . would love to be in that area and out of this mississippi delta. is the work there and at the time we would just rent. it is just wife and myself , our daugter is in cherry point nc in marine corp as a admin
would like to be little closer thanks for any help .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,424,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATOSMAX View Post
we both have been in the automotive field for over 15 years .
gm, ford and dodge parts and serive . wife is parts mng at this time and i am service mgr
What exactly are you looking for: manufacturing (plant) or dealership?
The Continental plant (former Chrysler former Siemens) is shutting down permanently, moving away and laying off 1000 people in September. The Toyota (trucks I believe) is thriving. Navistar (former International Trucks) is making diesel engines here. This is for established manufacturing.

According to this site, there are also new developments coming to North AL (Cullman, Shoals)
NAIDA - North Alabama Industrial Development Association

Old 07-15-2010, 01:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,795 times
The Huntsville area is a beautiful area and nice to live in despite what some posters would have you believe. It isn't perfect but has more positives than negatives and is a very nice place to settle down in. If you like to fish it is great with all the lakes and "mountains". If you have a job I believe you could be happy. The people are generally friendly and helpful .

Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,805 times
If one is into fishing and schools are not an issue, there are several lovely areas to buy here. Just be careful about what kind of land usage there is on the maps and remember that all is up for change dependent on the landowner's whims and the county/city response to those requests.

Great commute and lack of congestion were a bonus of coming here. But now that Madison has approved over 300 homes coming into the Balch/Gillespie area, I predict that plus will no longer exist. Most households have 2 cars, more if teens are driving their own vehicles. I hope the city/state/whoever widens Gillespie before the new houses come in-- or that my kid graduates before the subdivisions are built out.

And remember, there are NO forethought or plans in place in any of these areas. Despite the many beautiful areas and positives of living here, the local governments tend to forget to take those positives into consideration when they are approving new plans or plats for subdivisions and commercial rezoning.

And remember, this state is a BUYER BEWARE state. Be careful. Even a ton of homework and research cannot fully prepare you for what can come into play after you have lived here for a few years. Eminent domain has been invoked many times in this state in favor of the developers and landowners.

So even with due diligence, it is hard to predict the future here or anywhere in AL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area