Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 PM

90 posts, read 213,568 times

Advertisements

I have already searched this forum for preschool recommendations but they were limited. Can anyone recommend good preschools that are not just daycare centers in Huntsville? Meaning they have a great curicullum. Are there any language immersion schools in the area? Does anyone have experience specifically with The Montessori Learning Center on Pansy St.? Any information is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
When I lived in Huntsville I sent my then-3 year old son to Willowbrook Baptist. Absolutely lovely pre-school with a good curriculum. They're not Montessori, but he learned lots there.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
Some questions to consider:

- Where do you live (general area)
- Do you prefer and/or are you opposed to a church-based preschool?
- Heavy religious curriculum a pro or con?
- How old is your child? (really relevant if your child is 2 - some programs have a 2 yr old class, some don't)
- How many days per week do you want to send your child, or are you flexible? (Some have ONLY 3 day options, some have ONLY 4 or 5 day options at certain ages)

As for language immersion, I don't know any that do language *immersion* but some do supplemental language learning.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:32 PM

90 posts, read 213,568 times
I live in Huntsville off 72E near Chapman Mountain, but I am willing to drive.
We do not want a church or religious based school.
My child is 3.
2-3 days per week is the number of days I would like.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 PM

268 posts, read 634,350 times
Several of my neighbors used this Montessori school and really liked it. I've never had a preschooler there myself:

Montessori School of Huntsville

They have 2 locations in Southeast Huntsville.

I can't tell you anything about the one on Pansy St.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
Montessori School of Huntsville does seem to be the preschool of choice for most secular families.
MSH has a lot of issues, but it is probably one of the best strictly secular preschools in Huntsville. Some kids do great with the Montessori approach, some don't. Also they require 4 days per week at MSH. That's just how they roll.

Both my daughters went there for 1 year each. The oldest did great. She had a lovely year there (she attended pre-K the year we moved to Huntsville.)

The youngest I did not keep there beyond her first year. She is stubborn and defiant they were not providing enough structure. They "respected her freedom" so much that I found myself paying $500 a month for her to sit stubbornly in the middle of the room doing nothing much of the time, and then coming home with an even MORE defiant attitude than usual. It really was a train wreck for her.

I put her at Lathom Methodist Preschool, which is not heavy-handed with the theology at all, and she had a great pre-K year. No, they didn't teach the scientific names of all the bones of the human or have the kids work with abstract math manipulative, but what they DID teach (basic early reading skills, days of the week, etc.) she learned, because her teacher gently imposed the expectation of participation. And it cost me less than half.

If you decide to entertain the notion of a church-based traditional preschool, Hope Pres. and Latham or any Presbyterian or Methodist church are not typically heavy-handed with the theology. Both offer 3 day programs for 3-year-olds.

Willowbrook Church and other Baptist churches are heavy handed with the religion.

Another option is that there are a few public preschool programs, primarily for special needs kids, but they do an inclusion program that is set up so half the class is comprised of developmentally typical kids. These usually have a waiting list. I believe the programs are 5 day programs. They are free.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:33 PM

144 posts, read 277,991 times
The Country Day School is highly recommended by several friends. There is also the lesser known Montessori School of Madison. If you find a language immersion school, please let me know. When my son was born, I had hoped there would be one in this area, but I was not able to find one. If you do consider a church-based school, visit First Baptist on Governor's Drive. There main curriculum is the Creative Curriculum which is not religious based. The majority of the other church schools use Abeka or WEE (Weekday Early Education) which are Christian-based.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Quote:
Willowbrook Church and other Baptist churches are heavy handed with the religion.
Interesting, I didn't find Willowbrook to be particularly heavy handed with religion. In fact other than a ban on witches and such at Halloween, I don't recall there being any type religious issues at all and I'm fairly anti-organized religion myself. I'm very sensitive to that type of thing and would've pulled my child out very quickly had I seen it.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,654 times
I would recommend that you check out the Country Day School. It's in north Huntsville near Providence. We drive 30 minutes each way for my daughter to attend because I believe it's the best. The Headmaster has been in preschool education for 30 years, since I attended one of her earlier schools. It's not Montessori, although half the teachers are Montessori trained, and they have a number of Montessori supplies/activities. There are half- and full-day options, and you can select which days of the week, depending on available spaces, of course.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM

8 posts, read 12,648 times
I recommend you visit a few preschools before deciding. They are usually very accommodating, and its the best way to figure out what you want/like for your own kids. I'll pass the advice I received from my own parents - look at the children. If they all seem happy that's a really good sign.

On the off chance you change your mind and consider church affiliated preschools (and for future parents searching this forum), we sent our children to Covenant Weekday Preschool on Drake Avenue near Whitesburg Drive, and the whole family loved it. It's a very homey, happy place, and it strikes a good balance between school preparation, creative outlet, and just plain fun. There was some religion included in the curriculum and music, though it wasn't anything like a parochial school or Sunday school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area