Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 PM

74 posts, read 170,987 times

Advertisements

I'm considering buying a house in Grant. I've been through the area a few times and know there isn't much in the way of major businesses such as Walmart, pizza delivery, etc.

I am wondering what options exist as far as eating, shopping, fuel, etc.

For instance: Would I have to drive to Guntersville/Scottsboro/Huntsville to go to XYZ Clothing Store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I have been through there a few times too and I saw very little as far as retail. It is a beautiful area though.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:55 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
You know, I just can't remember what is there...I used to have to briefly go there about 3-4 times a year. Below is a posting of the types of businesses Grant has (no details, only types) and for the life of me I can't remember hardly any of these types of businesses there. There's gotta be basic services, food, gas, etc., as it is a town and people do live there...

Business Information

I always liked the town and the people there. The school has a good rep.

Gotta be one of the only towns in the South named for a Union general (although, he was president at the time).

Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 AM

764 posts, read 1,110,010 times
One type of business you won't have to go very far for is crystal meth labs - a local T.V. reporter once said that Grant Mountian could be called "Meth Mountain." In all seriousness, the Hampton Cove Wal-Mart is probably the closest and the Piggly Wiggly in Gurley is probably the closest basic grocery store. Or it could be that Scottsboro and Guntersville are about as close.

Most people don't realize it, but Gurley is not that far from Hampton Cove - in fact, McMullen Cove homes have a Gurley mailing address. To give you perspective, Gurley is maybe three miles from Paint Rock which is probably about four or five miles from Grant.

The problem with going to Guntersville for retail is that all of the shopping centers are on the south side of town - in fact some are on top of Sand Mountain and it's a slow drive through the town part of Guntersville.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 PM

40 posts, read 130,513 times
I have family in Grant and travel out there occasionally. There are a couple food choices - Hardees, Porky's BBQ, Mimi's Cafe and maybe there's still a pizza place. There's a drug store, a Dollar General and a grocery store (Foodland). I can only think of one good gas station. You have the necessities nearby, but for general clothes shopping and wal-mart trips you would have to go to Hsv or Guntersville.
My family currently has a house for sale in Grant. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you the info.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 AM

74 posts, read 170,987 times
PM sent.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,179 times
Thumbs up Grant The Beautiful

I have lived in Grant for aout 5 yrs. and love it. You will not find friendlier people anywhere. No, we don't have a Wal-Mart but there is one about 15 miles away in Guntersville and in Hampton Cove. We do have Main Street Pizza which is better than any big chain pizza stores. We also have Dennis Foodland for all your grocery needs. Unlike some of the bigger grocery stores, our Foodland still hand cuts it's meat and will cut you up whatever you may want. We have an awesome pharmacy, beauty shops, and nail salon. We have Porky's BBQ, Mimi's Cafe, as well as Hardee's to feel your stomach. Though we have been called "Meth Mountain," we are fighting this evil drug with everything we have.
As far as I'm concerned, with myself having thre children in school, our school, DAR, is the best education a child can get.
Come and check us out for your self. You will just love our mountain.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:19 PM

704 posts, read 937,006 times
Suncrest Apartments - Apartments are something that I couldn't help but notice that Grant has while Gurley and Paint Rock are lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area