Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,450 times

Advertisements

Hi, New to the area(Limestone) and in need of a good fishing spot. HELP
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:09 AM

143 posts, read 359,284 times
Big spring park downtown is a pretty good spot...it's full of rather sizeable carp. The Police have this thing where they act like they are giving you a ticket but it's just a test to see if you know the secret password. The password being "Bugger off copper", or the super secret password " expletive P-I-G". As long as you have that down you should be fine.....

Seriously though, when I have a chance I like to find a spot along the TN river just off the Wheeler Reservation...there are plenty of little coves and inlets where I have caught some pretty decent Bass, and some monster cats...I haven't been out this summer though.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM

355 posts, read 965,512 times
Good thread. Hope we get some more input.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:25 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,995,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilONE View Post
Hi, New to the area(Limestone) and in need of a good fishing spot. HELP
If you look at the Huntsville area map, there are 2 big lakes that's excellent for fishing, the Wheeler Lake and Lake Guntersville. Wheeler Lake has nice strip bass and is closest to you. If the Dam at Lake Guntersville is running, you can fish for stripe bass just downstream of the lake. I got a 3 pounder there 2 yrs ago.

If you like to fish for trout, there's Elk's river that gets the cold water runoffs from Tim's Ford Lake just north in TN. If you like small mouth bass, go to Florence and fish just downstream of the Wilson Dam. Last fall when we visited Florence, we saw a bass tournament sponsored by one major organization (not the BassMaster, but the other one).

This area is a great bass fishery. Of course, soon you'll get yourself a Ranger bass boat with Raymarine fishfinder, shimano rods & reels, fluorocarbon leaders, and Maui Jim sunglasses.

Here's a related thread where I asked the same question
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...3-fishing.html

Old 08-26-2010, 09:14 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,449,835 times
Then there's this big thing that runs the width of the state. It's called the Tennessee River.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 AM

35 posts, read 102,450 times
The Flint River off of walker Lane on the east side of the parkway. Stay to the left at the fork and park under the bridge. Rock bass, large and smallmouth, shell crackers, blue gill, the occasional stripe bass make it that far up. Madison county lake is pretty lame except during the winter they have the pond stocked with trout. Anywhere around Guntersville, north/south Sauty creek, that's all good for everything. The damn on the right before Honeycomb going to Guntersville from Hsv. is pretty good for crappie, blue gill, bass of all kinds, catfish. The best fishing anywhere around here IMO is trout fishing up in Tennessee at the Tim's Ford Dam or at Farris Creek Bridge down at Lexie's Croos Roads just south of the dam about 5 miles. That's the best fishing around IMO. Clear water, lots of fish, few people, no snakes. I love it there. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,450 times
Thanks you guys . I will keep you posted .

Old 08-30-2010, 07:15 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,278,113 times
My dad and son are avid fishermen, and they favor the Elk in areas that run north of Scottboro (good for fly fishing, my son and him enjoy fly fishing!) and Tim's Ford. My dad has been fishing Tim's Ford Dam for as long as I can remember and has caught some HUGE fish there. Guntersville tends to be loaded with sports fisherman, and he prefers areas that are more off the beaten path. He lives on Weiss Lake, just south of Fort Payne, and will go out in the boat often, but prefers the areas around Scottboro (he has a hunting/fishing cabin on the river in Scottsboro).
I am not 100% sure where he goes on the Elk, but he turns off 72 (I think at Wall of Jerico? just west of Scottsboro) and heads north, almost to TN. When he goes there, he takes a kayak (a "nucanoe"? he calls it).
If you do go up to Tim's Ford, there are also some great local Menenite (sp?) markets where you can buy locally grown produce, homemade jams/jellies, and homemade crafts. My uncle drives weekly from Lacey Springs to Tim's Ford to buy his produce and homemade jams.
He may get mad I am giving away his good fishing spots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area