Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:49 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Which "suburb(s)" would become the next Madison and have explosive growth? Why do you think so? What are signs of this?

OK, I'll start first.

I would pick Athens and East Limestone.

Athens's prime location on a "REAL" interstate gives it an advantage in luring several "interstate" buildings such as resturants, big box stores, etc. Because of it's proximity to Huntsville and its jobs, several subdivisions will pop up to accomodate the area's growth.

East Limetone's prime location between Huntsville, Athens, Decatur, and Madison doesn't give it a chance to dodge any growth. As Huntsville and Madsion continue to grow westward and Athens and Decatur (after Sweetwater is built) continue to grow eastward, E.L. will be suburbia mess filled with chain resturants, shopping centers, subdivisions, etc.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-05-2010 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Hopefully, Huntsville can continue to avoid the problems (high crime, high taxes, bad schools, irresponsible city government, city government governing against the will of the people, that sort of thing) that cause suburbs to sprout up. So far there's just Madison, and even it may end being part of Huntsville in the future (it has nowhere to grow, the big box stores want to be annexed into Huntsville, it lacks the tax base to grow its school system and maintain it at the level that attracted people in the first place).

Decatur and Athens will probably be around, but then they really have always been cities in their own right more than suburbs. Decatur was probably equal to or better than Huntsville in most measures for most of the cities' history. Given Huntsville's proximity to the state line with Tennessee there will probably be suburbs in Tennessee at some point since the city limits can't cross state lines.

Suburbanization is not a foregone conclusion. It only appears that way because big American cities have historically been unable to avoid the problems I mentioned above. Huntsville has mostly been able to avoid those problems, and as a result the quality of life in Huntsville is for most people the same or better than it would be in Decatur, Athens, or Madison. Really what Huntsville doesn't offer is rural living, and none of those places do either.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 AM

168 posts, read 311,086 times
I think the next "hot" spot will be all the empty spaces we already have in Huntsville/Madison. The city will densify instead of continually spreading outward. Two reasons........ first one is infrastructure. Commutes from Athens can take upwards of 45 minutes now when it was only 25 minutes a little over a decade ago. The roads just can't support development thrown all about. Second, gas prices will continue to climb in the long term. The only reason gas isn't $5/gallon right now is the recession. I highly doubt people are going to choose to commute from Tennessee if gas/auto maintenance costs more per month than their mortgage.

The "open spaces" used for dense development in the near future could include the extremely hideous and cheap tract housing built all over the area in the last decade. I've seen a lot of houses around here built during the bubble that are already starting to fall apart. I highly doubt many of them will last 30+ years. Many of the 4000+ sq. ft. homes will likely become multifamily residences (already happening nationwide... Grandma moves in, unemployed college graduates come home and move in as well)... which will help support more diverse businesses in those areas along with public transportation options (enough density for a bus route). I know, it all sounds hard to believe....... but anything is possible if the $5 billion+ in annual Federal spending in Madison County ever dries up. The area will become significantly poorer overnight, people will adjust, and life will go on.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Just skip the wasted step of buses and go straight to a subway which people might actually use.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 PM

309 posts, read 718,002 times
I can't see subways/heavy rail in Huntsville, but light rail would seem to be a no-brainer, considering how linear the metro is.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Given Huntsville's proximity to the state line with Tennessee there will probably be suburbs in Tennessee at some point since the city limits can't cross state lines.
There already are. Real estate in southern Lincoln County has become increasingly more expensive over the last 20+ years in relation to the rest of the county due to its proximity to Huntsville. There are already multiple rural subdivisions there, especially in proximity to 231/431. You may be surprised if you got off the highway between Fayetteville and Huntsville at how many subdivisions are back in the trees. Some of them are very nice upscale homes; some of them are future rural slums.

It has become increasingly crowded as more and more of the farmers sell out their fields to developers. Traffic is considerably heavier than just a few years ago and the drive keeps getting longer to make with the additional traffic and lights between the stateline and Winchester Road. Used to be in just my time around, the only lights were one in "downtown" Hazel Green, and one in "downtown" Meridianville. Last time I drove that way there were 9.

Both Hazel Green and Meridianville still retain "rural flavor" but are essentially bedroom communities full of rural subdivisions. There is still quite a bit of farmland up that way that is relatively easy to build on and with the aging of the farming population, look for more and more of to be sold for that purpose.

Our family has joked for years that perhaps in my lifetime we'll see essentially solid "town" between Fayetteville and Huntsville. Who knows. I remember when Madison had fewer than 2000 people and I never would have guessed back then that it would do what it has done!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 AM

I agree. I can see Meridianville, Hazel Green, and even Toney growing like crazy. I don't see Tennessee benefiting too too much from Huntsville growth because it's "across state line." I'm still surprised that the Jeff Road and Highway 53 interchange hasn't gotten a McDonald's and other fast-food chains.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:21 AM

144 posts, read 270,621 times
Although Hampton Cove is in Huntsville city limits, that area is growing fast, especially the Big Cove area and the area behind Wal-Mart.

Even Owens Crossroads proper is experiencing a boom in population. The town increased its population by nearly 30% from 2000 to 2008.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Haven't been down there in a while. I know HC and 431 almost look like University Drive.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:07 PM

144 posts, read 270,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
Although Hampton Cove is in Huntsville city limits, that area is growing fast, especially the Big Cove area and the area behind Wal-Mart.

Even Owens Crossroads proper is experiencing a boom in population. The town increased its population by nearly 30% from 2000 to 2008.
Actually I misquoted. OCR grew 53.9% from 2000 to 2009, according to its profile page on City-Data.

My brother moved out that way from NE Huntsville several years ago and he loves it in OCR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area