Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 PM

889 posts, read 2,397,760 times

Advertisements

As of this weekend, Huntsville is home to four great microbreweries. More than the rest of the state combined! There was a great article on the Huntsville microbrewery revolution in the Times today. Huntsville is home to a craft-beer explosion | al.com

Huntsville is now home to...
Blue Pants Brewery - Huntsville, AL Microbrewery
Olde Towne Brewing Company (http://oldetownebeer.com/otbc.html - broken link)
Straight to Ale | Huntsville, AL
Yellowhammer Brewing

It's also worth mentioning that there is an awesome Birmingham brewery with product available in the Huntsville area...
Good People Brewing

These are small craft breweries who make beer for the love it. All their money goes back into making better beer for the local community unlike the major mass produced corporate brewers who pour their money into cheesy advertising, gimmicks, and making fizzy yellow swill. Be sure to support these guys. They may even be your neighbors. Many of them keep their day jobs and make beer on weekends or when they can find the time. And if you visit a local pub or restaurant and they don't carry local beer, ask them why not.

Drink local!

Last edited by deesonic; 10-17-2010 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
Follow the link (to me) for a photo of the brewmasters from all four breweries plus their really, really good-looking distributor:

Huntsville Brewmasters | flashpoint (http://www.flashpointblog.com/2010/10/03/huntsville-brewmasters/ - broken link)

Beer don't drink itself.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,891 times
Old Towne beer is the nastiest beer I have ever tasted. I don't generally like beer but holy, that beer is something awful, and the beer drinkers I know agreed. It's just very, very bitter. We even tried to use a bottle in a loaf of beer bread in order not to waste it, but even our beer bread made with Old Towne was terrible!

Now, I know there's no accounting for taste, but I'd be really curious to know if anyone really enjoys Old Towne beer.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 AM

35 posts, read 87,997 times
Old Towne is okay. From my experience microbrews are usually more bitter, but still taste better if that makes since??? I'm interested in tasting these other huntsville brews.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Old Towne beer is the nastiest beer I have ever tasted. I don't generally like beer but holy, that beer is something awful, and the beer drinkers I know agreed. It's just very, very bitter. We even tried to use a bottle in a loaf of beer bread in order not to waste it, but even our beer bread made with Old Towne was terrible!

Now, I know there's no accounting for taste, but I'd be really curious to know if anyone really enjoys Old Towne beer.
Which one? OTB makes about a half dozen varieties. Granted OTB has had some troubles over the years, they seem to have improved quality and consistency over the last year. All the others are only available on draft for now, but Good People will be canning very soon. There are so many local beer options out there now, there's no way you can't find something you like.

One thing to know if you are new to the whole craft/microbrewery movement is that the beers will be real beers, not the watered down fizzy yellow mess that Bud, Miller, Coors, Corona, etc try to pass off as beer. If you are not used to real beer with flavor, aroma, and body you may need to try and try again to acclimate your taste buds to quality. The mass produced mess is cut with rice and corn, ingredients that never would have been used to make classic beers from Europe. Many of the best and highest rated beers in the world are made in the good ol' USA thanks to the grassroots craft beer movement.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:57 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,435,565 times
zenjenn - I volunteered at the Art Museum's ARToberfest Friday serving Yazoo Hops Project IPA and Dos Perros Austrian / Mexican Lager (dark toasted malt amber). BTW Mexico's Dos Equis beer ("The Most Interesting Man" commercials) is supposedly the result of Emperor Maximilian of Austria's brief reign even though the brewery started 20 years after his execution. Anyway a woman asked for a Bud Lite and I gave her a sample of the Hops Project - to say she didn't like it is an understatement. She tried Olde Towne's Pumpkin Ale and liked that.

I like Olde Towne's Pumpkin Ale and Hefeweizen best (both ranked highly by Beer Advocate). I like Straight to Ale's Milk Stout and I'm looking forward to their upcoming Russian Imperial Stout.

I just had a Yellowhammer IPA and a Blue Pants Knickerbocker Red Ale at the Nook tonight - and saw deesonic.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:30 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,891 times
The one I tried was Olde Towne Pale Ale. If I see the pumpkin ale I'd be tempted to try it. I like all things pumpkin, even though I don't really drink beer. Even if not for drinking it make a really good beer bread for fall.

Last edited by zenjenn; 10-18-2010 at 10:41 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 02:13 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,569 times
Quote:

They had a Chocolate Stout awhile back that was fantastic. The only place I could find it was at The Nook, but even they never seem to have it anymore.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,569 times
Quote:
The one I tried was Olde Towne Pale Ale. If I see the pumpkin ale I'd be tempted to try it. I like all things pumpkin, even though I don't really drink beer. Even if not for drinking it make a really good beer bread for fall.
If you want to avoid bitterness, stay away from the pale ale, or anything with IPA in the name. Not really a knock on Old Towne as much as it is a distaste for that kind of beer.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
They had a Chocolate Stout awhile back that was fantastic. The only place I could find it was at The Nook, but even they never seem to have it anymore.
It was brewed special for the Nook, but they quit making it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
If you want to avoid bitterness, stay away from the pale ale, or anything with IPA in the name. Not really a knock on Old Towne as much as it is a distaste for that kind of beer.
Bitterness gets a bad rap. It's not a necessarily a bad thing. If it's left without a balance of sweetness/maltiness it can often overpower a beer though. IPAs are universally considered one of the most bitter styles out there yet they are red hot with beer lovers these days. IPA happens to be my favorite style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area