Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 PM

12 posts, read 55,024 times

Advertisements

hallo,
i have received a lot of good input since observing this site. i have finally purchased a home in AL. i have a small place outside of Huntsville (Toney). in the back is a small man made pond where we observed a small brown snake trying to elude us, but was identified by the orkin men as a cotton mouth, this is a very small pond that is close to the house. in the process of moving in i want to safeguard my 2 large inquisitive dogs. any suggestions? i do not normally try to eliminate any wildlife but anything that's presents a serious danger to our welfare will be attended with. any suggestions>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 09:05 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Welcome to Alabama!

What do you consider small? Young cotton mouths have a rather distinct pattern.

Normally you would not see them. The drought is bringing wildlife to water. Our furballs are very inquisitive and we had no problems. Snakes do not care for company and will do their best to escape unless cornered.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:04 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
I was reading up on the creepy critters of Alabama, and as far as snakes go, the only thing that struck me as something you have to watch out for particularly is the water mocassin, which are apparently in water and AGGRESSIVE. I don't know if they specifically haunt Huntsville but that was the only snake that concerned me. There were some other venomous ones but generally non-aggressive. We have rattlesnakes where I live but because they are not aggressive, I don't worry about them beyond making sure I am keeping an ear out for rattles when I hike. Non-aggressive snakes you have to practically step on to get bitten (though that might be a concern with dogs who tend to sometimes *chase* things)

Old 07-21-2007, 10:50 AM

37 posts, read 168,749 times
Welcome to Alabama we just moved here from michigan, and I hate snakes I dont know anythign about the type your talking about but i heard to that snakes tend to stay away from dogs.good luck ! PS where are you from?

Old 07-21-2007, 10:52 AM

178 posts, read 801,070 times
Hello- Before killing the small brown snake, you might want to check on the usual color and pattern of a YOUNG cotton mouth. i've only heard of very dark to black cotton mouths, at least for adults. They are very aggressive and do have a really bright white mouth which they will open wide to bite you. I've seen a large one in the wild and they will stand and "fight" before leaving. does this snake show that behavior if prodded w/ a stick? If it's not a dangerous snake, then it will not be a harm to your dogs, and can take care of its assigned job in the natural world.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 AM

14 posts, read 62,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I was reading up on the creepy critters of Alabama, and as far as snakes go, the only thing that struck me as something you have to watch out for particularly is the water mocassin, which are apparently in water and AGGRESSIVE. I don't know if they specifically haunt Huntsville but that was the only snake that concerned me. There were some other venomous ones but generally non-aggressive. We have rattlesnakes where I live but because they are not aggressive, I don't worry about them beyond making sure I am keeping an ear out for rattles when I hike. Non-aggressive snakes you have to practically step on to get bitten (though that might be a concern with dogs who tend to sometimes *chase* things)
I live in South Florida near the Everglades and I may be wrong here but we consider Cottonmouths and Water Moccasins the same snake. We don't see too many of them around here unless drought conditions continue but our dogs actually keep the snakes from being near the house or the barns, they avoid them like the plague.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Sorry, but I just couldn't help dropping in when I saw the thread in the "U.S. Forums" list...

1. Snakes in Alabama aren't as bad as Snakes on the %$#@! plane.

2. A sequel; "Snakes in Alabama" COULDN'T be any worse than the original...

Please forgive me!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:59 PM

hallo again, I'm leaving fowlerville michigan to my new abode in toney alabama. i have not sold my home here yet as i want to be able to move my belongings at a slow pace. i'm accustomed to a variety of serpents in mich. the only poisiones ones i ever saw was when i worked for the state, the dnr. they were roadkill in the mornings, on the black top. my dogs dislike snakes, and other wild 4 legged critters. they being dogs are never accused of having a high iq. i have been on the receiving end of a snake eviscerated and it's not pleasant. i have no dislike for snakes as they perform a service. i just would like to keep them at bay without any harm to Fido.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:25 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
If the snakes are seeking water - and they probably are since we have had a severe drought, despite some recent rains - then your best bet may be to keep the yard clear of brush and drain the pond for the time being. You could also possibly contact either 1) the local county extension agent or 2) someone at the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge for advice on how to discourage snakes from your yard.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:56 PM

thank you Southlander i will make a few calls in the morn. as i said i prefer to discourage instead of annihilate the unwelcome critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area