Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM

45 posts, read 92,736 times

Advertisements

A few weeks back while walking around downtown, I noticed that the Chophouse was closed. A week or two later I noticed a sign that said it was being renovated. Last week I saw a sign on the door that said that Jame's Steakhouse would be coming soon. Just curious as I thought the Chophouse always had a full crowd on the weekends. The Washington Square website only mentions Humphrey's and Mason's now. Did the group decide to sell off the Chophouse to another buyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM

889 posts, read 2,397,628 times
James Boyce (Cotton Row, Commerce Kitchen, Pan e Vino) has taken over most, if not all, of Washington Square Group's properties. Chophouse is being remodeled and rechristened James' Steakhouse as I understand to reflect the new ownership.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
As I understand it, Washington Square sold all three restaurants (Chophouse, Humphreys, Masons) to Chef James Boyce of Cotton Row (and Commerce Cafe) downtown. The restaurants will each undergo renovations and reopen, schedule TBD. Washington Square still owns the properties.

Rumor has it that James' Steakhouse was going to be called "Jimmy's" until someone told the newcomers about a longtime establishment of the same name...

Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
deesonic - I didn't know Boyce runs Pan e Vino - with 6 restaurants that guy has a lot invested in downtown...

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Rumor has it that James' Steakhouse was going to be called "Jimmy's" until someone told the newcomers about a longtime establishment of the same name...
Yeah, that would have been a bit uncomfortable.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
What's Jimmy's? Never heard of it.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
What's Jimmy's? Never heard of it.
Strip club on 72 near County Line Rd.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
I have heard that they are going to do some remodeling on Humphrey's when they are finished with the old Chophouse but I'm not sure if that is true or not.
It appeared to me that The Chophouse, was only having a decent crowd during the dinner rush crowd hours and not exactly packed at that time. I doubt they were turning much of a profit. I looked at the menu several times and just thought mehhh....I can get that at several other pretty good restaurants in town at a better price; plus they have free parking right there instead of having to park in a garage or around the corner and walking 3 blocks.
Mason's used to have a pretty good menu and good food but in the last year or so the menu has went to typical bar food and is just mediocre. This is a sign they aren't making much of a profit either. Mason's is a bit of a confusing place and they need to pick a direction. Are they a restaurant and if so what type? Are they a bar? If so, stop trying to be a sit down restaurant. The menu isn't what it needs to be for it to be a sit down restaurant. They don't have a dance floor so they don't get that crowd and the times I have been in there, they turn the local radio rock station on around 10 pm or so, which a lot of people really don't care for.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM

27 posts, read 54,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I have heard that they are going to do some remodeling on Humphrey's when they are finished with the old Chophouse but I'm not sure if that is true or not.
It appeared to me that The Chophouse, was only having a decent crowd during the dinner rush crowd hours and not exactly packed at that time. I doubt they were turning much of a profit. I looked at the menu several times and just thought mehhh....I can get that at several other pretty good restaurants in town at a better price; plus they have free parking right there instead of having to park in a garage or around the corner and walking 3 blocks.
Mason's used to have a pretty good menu and good food but in the last year or so the menu has went to typical bar food and is just mediocre. This is a sign they aren't making much of a profit either. Mason's is a bit of a confusing place and they need to pick a direction. Are they a restaurant and if so what type? Are they a bar? If so, stop trying to be a sit down restaurant. The menu isn't what it needs to be for it to be a sit down restaurant. They don't have a dance floor so they don't get that crowd and the times I have been in there, they turn the local radio rock station on around 10 pm or so, which a lot of people really don't care for.
The city blocks of Huntsville are very small so walking two blocks is a short walk. Now if you have some type of physical disability which would make that a difficult walk for you, then I totally understand and maybe the restaurant could accomodate you. I used to be guilty of wanting to park 5 steps from the front door of my destination. Now, I just park and walk--I hear it's supposed to be healthier. I hope the renovations are successful, and hope the crowds start pouring in.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvCity! View Post
The city blocks of Huntsville are very small so walking two blocks is a short walk. Now if you have some type of physical disability which would make that a difficult walk for you, then I totally understand and maybe the restaurant could accomodate you. I used to be guilty of wanting to park 5 steps from the front door of my destination. Now, I just park and walk--I hear it's supposed to be healthier. I hope the renovations are successful, and hope the crowds start pouring in.
Aren't the street meters around Washington St. free after 6pm anyways? Not to mention, I hardly ever see all the street parking taken. Last time I parked in that garage it was $2, which is more than reasonable compared to some place like Nashville.

The argument about people having to park and walk a block or 2 is about as ridiculous as people complaining about the three parking areas at Bridge Street and having to walk to a store. Where do people park at normal shopping malls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area