Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 19,636 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to the forum so a little about my self busy dad of 4 moving via BRAC from DC. We intend to research the area by ourselves for a week before the holidays. As a twist to the usual visit we plan to search by the way the local realators 'code' the realestate listings. By this I mean the standard MLS listings only allow us to search by price, number of BR, BA and so forth.

I realize that this is unusual, however I'm smart enough to know that the listing 'zones' are set that way for a reason. I like this sort of search because I like to understand themarket myself and avoid buyers remorse as much as I can. Tiffany says I over analyze, but I disagree...

My questing is twofold: Is this a good methodology? and am I correct that the listings are set up the way they are for a logical reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:55 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
JT, go to Find Real Estate Listings, School and Neighborhood Information and More - Realtor.com® . There you can put in the zip code (or town if you don't know the zip) what size house and price range you're looking for and it will show the homes. It will also give you the MLS number for that house and you can see more by going to any realtor's site. I'm not in Alabama but my wife and I bought a house here in Ky. almost 3 yrs ago and my wife checked that site out every day. Good luck!

Old 11-27-2010, 10:25 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
I am not sure what you mean by code but I recommend you use Valleymls.com You can search for houses in different areas. You have to realize that Huntsville is small compared to the DC area. The traffic is not bad even during rush hour. Depending on what you are looking for you can live in H'ville, Madison, Decatur or a number of other cities or communities. S. H'ville and Madison are most recommended on this forum. There are a lot of small towns that are 20-40 minutes away.

We have several really good realtors here. They offer their advice at no charge and are very knowledgeable about the area.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
A better way to search here in Huntsville is by school district. Go to www.valleymls.com and click under "advanced search" and use school district as a search criteria.

For good school district go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and decide for yourself. The 'consensus' here for good high schools are: Grissom, Huntsville high schools, and Bob Jones high school in Madison.

Chances are you will be working inside the Redstone Arsenal (RSA). The city of Huntsville and Madison are built around the RSA. You can get to work from all 4 sides of RSA entrances basically, and the traffic is nothing like the DC area, so basically you should be looking for good school district for your children and you can find houses in all price range within a given school district.

I echo what Keeper said about using good realtors. They can give you a pretty good idea on various neighborhoods and price ranges within one day of driving around. I'll encourage you to take advantage of this (free) service.

Good luck in your searches.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Ah, I see. I guess I am taking this to the next level. Realtors I think, by their nature, have set up the MLS by zones. Am I way wrong?

I am just guessing here that these zones will not be arbitary, they will be by schools, physical limitations (valleys, water zones, etc) and things of that nature. What I want to avoid is a situation where I find a home that we like but if we had looked just 1/2 a mile a way we would be in a differnt 'zone' which would better meet our needs.

You see I am the type where I want to understand everything before I decide. I do not pester realators with silly questions. I am the guy that goes to buy the car who knows the specs and the car paint codes before the salesman has a chance to look them up. Maybe I am a little morte clear now?

I am hoping that Huntsville is not set up by something real simplistuc like zipcodes or something along that lines. If that is the case then I guess I would have to understand the municipalities, schools, utilities and zoning. More variables for me to grasp.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Clark 45 View Post

You see I am the type where I want to understand everything before I decide. I do not pester realators with silly questions. I am the guy that goes to buy the car who knows the specs and the car paint codes before the salesman has a chance to look them up. Maybe I am a little morte clear now?
A fellow controlling freak, eh? Must be another engineer coming down with BRAC

Quote:
Ah, I see. I guess I am taking this to the next level. Realtors I think, by their nature, have set up the MLS by zones. Am I way wrong?
You seem to obessed with the word 'zone' where it can mean different things in different cities. Simplicitly speaking:
  1. No, Huntsville is not classified only be zipcodes. It is also classified by many different things such as schools (elementary, middle and high schools), etc.
  2. You'll need to go www.valleymls.com under the 'advanced search' option to know what I am talking about.
Quote:
I am just guessing here that these zones will not be arbitary, they will be by schools, physical limitations (valleys, water zones, etc) and things of that nature. What I want to avoid is a situation where I find a home that we like but if we had looked just 1/2 a mile a way we would be in a differnt 'zone' which would better meet our needs.
That's where doing your homework will help, and also soliciting the help of knowledgeable people with the neighborhoods. This is where realtors come in and can help 'educate' you about the area.

Quote:
I am hoping that Huntsville is not set up by something real simplistuc like zipcodes or something along that lines. If that is the case then I guess I would have to understand the municipalities, schools, utilities and zoning. More variables for me to grasp.
So far you have not share what's your search criteria. Tell us what you're looking for and maybe you can get more free help here.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:26 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,646,648 times
Quote:
Hi, I'm new to the forum so a little about my self busy dad of 4 moving via BRAC from DC. We intend to research the area by ourselves for a week before the holidays. As a twist to the usual visit we plan to search by the way the local realators 'code' the realestate listings. By this I mean the standard MLS listings only allow us to search by price, number of BR, BA and so forth.

I realize that this is unusual, however I'm smart enough to know that the listing 'zones' are set that way for a reason. I like this sort of search because I like to understand themarket myself and avoid buyers remorse as much as I can. Tiffany says I over analyze, but I disagree...

My questing is twofold: Is this a good methodology? and am I correct that the listings are set up the way they are for a logical reason?
Dear JT Clark 45, no matter how annalitic or geeky you be , you will never can search properties by the way is coded in the MLX because that acces is exclusively reserved for licensed Real Estate agents. "Zones" is a number of 4 digits and usually indicates neighborhoods that are grouped in one area or township for some reason. The property search by area number as I said before is only reserved for agents. If you want to be more specific and accurate on a property search, then I highly suggest you to hire a realtor, because that's what they are for out there as professionals and they pay their license every year and the Real Estate Board dues to have acces to the MLX.
Good luck.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:40 PM

HB2HSV: My serach criteria is 4 - 5 BR, 2.5 BA 30 minute commute to gate 9, 350K +/-. This results in dozens of hits on any one of the MLS sites. Which again, in my mind places an emphasis on situational awareness. At this moment its too premature for us to seek a realestate professional.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 PM

956 posts, read 2,501,812 times
JT Clark 45, I would suggest (as HB2HSV did) starting with school zones and working your way down from there. If you have kids in school, this is the best way to begin. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is great for gathering non-biased opinions from parents who have children in the schools. Even if schools aren't important to you, they are important for resale typically. You know those Engineers...details, details, details, lol.

In the $350 up range, you can have a heyday here...we are saturated in that price range in most areas. Merry Christmas to you, lol.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
HB2HSV: My serach criteria is 4 - 5 BR, 2.5 BA 30 minute commute to gate 9, 350K +/-. This results in dozens of hits on any one of the MLS sites. Which again, in my mind places an emphasis on situational awareness. At this moment its too premature for us to seek a realestate professional.
OK, now we're getting somewhere.

What's important for you? Good school district? 10 ~ 20 acre of land? Does your family prefer living in downtown? suburb? or rural?

Based on your criteria above, you have lots of choices west to Decatur, north to Tennessee, east to Gurley/ Keel mountain, and south of the Tennessee river in Morgan county. But your price range will rule you out of more snobbish subdivisions here in town.

Need to narrow this down a bit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area