U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 04:56 PM

63 posts, read 142,366 times

Advertisements

For the past several days there has been a steady humming sound resonating throughout the valley in and around the Big Cove area. It can be heard in Hampton Cove and off of Dug Hill.

It is not the cicada bugs. Anyone know what is is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 PM

367 posts, read 532,066 times
I've heard it too and am completely puzzled. What is it? I find it very annoying because one of the greatest attributes of Hampton Cove is the quietness--now this. Help.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:52 PM

18,760 posts, read 55,906,678 times
Can you tell what frequency? An overloaded powerline can hum, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Huntsville feeds is doing overtime until everything gets restored.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:13 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,466,828 times
Those are the 13 year cicadas (also called locusts). They stay underground for 13 years and then come out to mate. The males "sing" to attract the females for mating. They like the warmer weather and sing louder the warmer it is so they are loudest in the afternoon on warm days. You will most likely start seeing dead ones around in the next couple of weeks and the noise will also start to subside. You probably won't hear them in the cities but if you go out near large wooded areas it can be quite loud. Everyone should go out in the country to a heavily wooded area and hear them. It is quite amazing how loud it is and it only comes along every 13 years so it is something for the kids to hear and they will remember it on the next cycle.

In the northern U.S. the 17 year cicada is more prevalent.

Last edited by dijkstra; 05-15-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 07:12 PM

367 posts, read 532,066 times
I'm pretty sure the sound is not the cicadas. They are all over the country. This sound is a mechanical/electrical sound. I think harry chickpea may be on to something. I'm anxious to get to the bottom of this mysterious sound.

By the way--I have noticed the sound today (Sunday afternoon/evening).

Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,026,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
I'm pretty sure the sound is not the cicadas. They are all over the country. This sound is a mechanical/electrical sound. I think harry chickpea may be on to something. I'm anxious to get to the bottom of this mysterious sound.

War of the Worlds

Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM

147 posts, read 172,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post

End times. T-6 according to Harold, but some (http://prewrathministries.org/resources.html - broken link) are not so sure.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:50 PM

5,873 posts, read 16,176,437 times
I think it's too early in the year for the cicadas.
I like the powerline theory.

Edited a few minutes later:
I stand corrected. Cicadas are emerging right now and taking up their quest for love.
http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/...around-Alabama

If they only emerge every decade or so, why do I see/hear cicadas every year?

Last edited by Southlander; 05-15-2011 at 10:25 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,026,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
If they only emerge every decade or so, why do I see/hear cicadas every year?

HAHA, I was wondering the same when I first heard of cicadas. And then I was made realize that their internal clock is set at seven years, but not ALL cicadas emerged at one time in the beginning !! For some the 7th year was 2006, 2007, ..or this year...or next year. Thus, EVERY year for humans to hear them.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 AM

63 posts, read 142,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Can you tell what frequency? An overloaded powerline can hum, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Huntsville feeds is doing overtime until everything gets restored.
Don't know frequency but the pitch remains constant. I've heard the power line humm and this is not it. If you live in the Big Cove area, walk outside today, there it is.

Anyone know any news people? Would be a worthy story, at least for those of us who hear it EVERYDAY!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area