Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM

89 posts, read 242,484 times

Advertisements

Looking for a great company to install a wooden fence in the backyard of my new home in Decatur. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
Creative Containment. Love them, have recommended them to many many clients and all have been very satisfied!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM

90 posts, read 215,947 times
I heard they are the ones who do the fences for Breland Homes... I think they do a good job (at least my site agent thinks so, and the fences in my neighborhood didn't blow away with the April 27th storms!).

I called Tennessee Valley Fence to give me an estimate and they were very courteous and showed up on time. They are also highly rated with the BBB. I'm still shopping around though (and waiting for winter so I can *maybe* get a discount!), and would love to see some reviews as well!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:52 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
We used Jones Fence, 5 years ago. Our backyard privacy fence still looks great. The only boards we have had to replace were due to storm damage.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix1028 View Post
I heard they are the ones who do the fences for Breland Homes... I think they do a good job (at least my site agent thinks so, and the fences in my neighborhood didn't blow away with the April 27th storms!).

I called Tennessee Valley Fence to give me an estimate and they were very courteous and showed up on time. They are also highly rated with the BBB. I'm still shopping around though (and waiting for winter so I can *maybe* get a discount!), and would love to see some reviews as well!

Creative Containment does do the fences for Breland, as well as Alabama Heritage/Stongate Homes among other builders.

In my experience from getting bids, Creative Containment usually beats Jones Fence and Athens Fence pricewise. I would NOT recommend Huntsville Fence, if they are even still in business. They did a fence a few years ago for a client and it was a horrible job.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 PM

89 posts, read 242,484 times
Thanks for the referrals. Appreciate it!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 PM

152 posts, read 498,045 times
We also used Jones Fence (we are pleased) but I'll tell you how to find a good one: First look for the nasty fences and note the tag of who did the work, second match that up to the yellow pages and you will see that there only a few good ones out there.

There is cheap and there is good and the two usually don't meet.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Southern Fence has installed wood and metal fences, a deck with a wheelchair ramp, and a ramp at another house for us. The last wood fence had some problems with a couple of boards warping, so you might want to specify pressure-treated lumber to be used. I'm sure Gordy would fix it if I called him, but it hasn't been a big deal.
The deck is super awesome!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM

33 posts, read 51,462 times
Like hundreds of other, I had fence to rebuild after April. AllStar roofing had just completed my roof prior to the tornado (live in Harvest, 1 mile from where it was leveled, and not a shingle out of place). I noticed in his advertisement that Jim does other construction as well, so I had him look at the fence. He gave me an estimate, and having seen by other projects that I know basic (very -very- basic) carpentry, gave me some tips on rebuilding the fence even better than before and saved me over two grand.

I know this says nothing for his possible choice of subcontractors and the quality of work, but after that and the roof I do know he's honest and wont bury in my butt when the timing for such is right, even after he saw I was unsure. And my wooden privacy fence looks the same from outside (new lumber inside) and is stronger than before, going by his advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area