Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 AM

4 posts, read 6,203 times

Advertisements

I am sure this question has been asked a million times before... Maybe more ; ). Please give me your input on the nicer, safer, cleaner, and prettier areas of Huntsville to buy a house.

I am a single mom, but my kids are teen/preteen age. I prefer city life to country life... I like being near all the action, arts, events, restaurants, etc. I do like living in a house that has a lot of trees and nature surrounding it (I know that is a contradiction to my previous statement).

I have been looking (online) at the Blossomwood and Five Points areas, but I am curious if there are other areas (in the Huntsville High School district) that I could be looking into.

My budget for a house is around 200k, give or take 30k.

Thanks!

Last edited by princess769; 06-19-2011 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Submitted before completing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 AM

3 posts, read 7,414 times
Thanks for the post. We are looking for basically the same information.... less kids :-))) WE`are retired and I fell in love with the area.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:56 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess769 View Post
I am sure this question has been asked a million times before... Maybe more ; ). Please give me your input on the nicer, safer, cleaner, and prettier areas of Huntsville to buy a house.

I am a single mom, but my kids are teen/preteen age. I prefer city life to country life... I like being near all the action, arts, events, restaurants, etc. I do like living in a house that has a lot of trees and nature surrounding it (I know that is a contradiction to my previous statement).

I have been looking (online) at the Blossomwood and Five Points areas, but I am curious if there are other areas (in the Huntsville High School district) that I could be looking into.

My budget for a house is around 200k, give or take 30k.

Thanks!
Actually, in Huntsville, there isn't really any "urban" areas. So the older, more established neighborhoods are actually more wooded and natural feeling IMO. The newer neighborhoods as you head out of town are typically on old cotton fields, so there isn't anything except what has been planted. Blossomwood/Five Points also back up to the Land Trust/Monte Sano St Park. So there are several thousand acres of protected land at the edge of the neighborhood for hiking and mountain biking.

For 170-230k, you are going to be in the lower end of the market in those areas. Probably a smaller, older house that might need a little work (or perhaps a lot). However, the market is softer than it was a few years ago, so you may be able to find something. FYI, Five Points bridges the HHS and Lee HS districts. The houses in the Lee HS end (northern end of 5pts) will be noticably cheaper.

Other areas to consider are the Medical District. I roughly consider this bounded by Governor's on the North, the Parkway on the West, Drake on the South, and just past Whitesburg on the east. There is a really nice, wooded area just east of Whitesburg in that area, that is tucked away and quiet. All the roads dead end into trees. If you take Bob Wallace all the way as far east as you can, you are there.

The older parts of Jones Valley are nice and wooded as well. Go east along Drake and explore the neighborhoods around there. The area south of Airport, east of Whitesburg, the Jones Valley Drive area is also nice and wooded and just a few minutes from shopping/entertainment areas in Jones Valley, Airport Road, South Parkway, the Medical District and downtown.

The Piedmont neigbhorhood south of Drake, north of Airport, east of the Parkway, west of Whitesburg may be your best bet for a house in that price range close to everything you want.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:32 AM

Thank you for your response.

I have found several nice homes in the Blossomwood area in my price range, so I assume the housing market is a buyer's market at this time... I hope it remains that way for just a bit longer. Then again, I am not looking for a huge home and my home requirements are modest as a single mom with only two kids... Just 1500 to 2500 square feet. I have found a few really cute, nice houses that I am going to check out. Of course, I found a great house in Twickenham that I fell in love with (online), but that is almost 100k over my budget. I could afford it, but I am resisting the urge... I have to save money for two kids to go to college!

Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess769 View Post
Thank you for your response.

I have found several nice homes in the Blossomwood area in my price range, so I assume the housing market is a buyer's market at this time... I hope it remains that way for just a bit longer. Then again, I am not looking for a huge home and my home requirements are modest as a single mom with only two kids... Just 1500 to 2500 square feet. I have found a few really cute, nice houses that I am going to check out. Of course, I found a great house in Twickenham that I fell in love with (online), but that is almost 100k over my budget. I could afford it, but I am resisting the urge... I have to save money for two kids to go to college!

Thanks again!
IMO, Blossomwood would be a better fit for a family. Plus, if you do any renovations on a house in Twickenham you will be restricted by the historic district regulations.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM

404 posts, read 777,841 times
Curious as to why huntsville high. It seems they have a good reputation with a new building and more electives. But do consider the Grissom school district as well. Grissom is a very good school academically and the feeding middle schools are very good as well. It fits your discriptions of trees & convience. on Valley MLS do searches for 35802 & 35803. Off bailey cove is convienent youd'd have Target, Publix and the Greenway. I guess I'm saying don't' rule it out you'll pay more per SQ foot in the med district and I believe saying Huntsville high is a better school over Grissom to be splitting hairs.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:59 PM

I did consider Grissom because it does have great ratings... The reason I ruled it out is because I prefer to be close to my mother and she lives in the historic district in Huntsville. If I have to travel for work, or I am running late, or there is some kind of emergency, she works right in the middle of town and would be able be there in moments. I know the Grissom school area is not far from central Huntsville, but I really do like the idea of her being right there just in case. I also like living closer to the center of town, and my daughters do as well.

Thanks for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area