Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,778 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm a city boy who wants to buy some hilly rural land in the south, to plant a diverse subsistence farm (more like a huge garden) for my family to live on for a couple generations. I am 28, I only have a few thousand dollars so I am interested in buying the land, not a house. I can scrape up about 7,000 today.

Would it be possible to buy 3-6 good hilly acres in North Alabama for that kind of money? How stringent are zoning laws in your state? Building inspections? Do child services come to your property and take your kids away because you don't have gas heat in the winter? Do your neighbors complain when your sheep wander off your property?

My plan would involve roughing it for a few years, possibly operating as a dump to build up some compost for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 AM

87 posts, read 139,850 times
You may want to contact Alabama Sustainable Agriculture Network Alabama Sustainable Agriculture Network. They have a lot of expertise (or can connect you to the folks who do) in the type of farming you are looking for. There are a lot of very small farmers who would welcome some help right now if you'd like to come stay in the area for a while and scout a bit. Room and board might be provided...and some FUN work in the SUN is guaranteed

Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 PM

168 posts, read 311,135 times
Why are you looking at northern Alabama? You sound like a perfect fit for northwest Arkansas in the Ozarks. I'm not kidding.... I've spent a lot of time there and love it. Up until recently you could get acreage in NW AR for well under $500/acre when buying a farm.

Land in the southeast is just too expensive. Anyone looking for prime farmland wouldn't even consider this area.... western Kentucky is probably the closest "cheap" area for prime (180+ bushel/acre for corn). And for someone like you looking for a place on the cheap..... the Missouri/Arkansas Ozarks best fit what you are looking for. What is your motivation..... living on the land is not easy!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Default not ez

Thanks for replying. My motivation for getting onto the land is that I want the kind of independance that isn't available in the city. I want to buy some land and build real value into it with a food forest, and by the time I am too old to do that hard work, I will have a sort of ecosystem supporting itself, giving me food.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 12,169 times
Make sure there are no deed restrictions. I live in the county, outside of city limits, but incredibly I am unable to have any animals on my property. Didn't realize this until months after I'd brought my home.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 AM

Default laws n crap

I just bought a book called Dirt-Smart about buying rural land, for city boys like me. Its got lots of stuff about restrictions, neighborhood rules, easements, hidden flaws in the property, inaccurate acreage numbers, timber rights that were sold off years ago. Do you all think I need a lawyer to be a first-time buyer of country land?

I'll definitely be going to the country clerk's office a lot and renting a place in-state while I scope properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area