Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,365 times

Advertisements

I am posting this to try to get the word out about the coyote problem in Huntsville. I only want to make people aware of this problem so that they do not have to go through the grief of losing a beloved pet like my family has had to do. I have only lived in Huntsville for a few months and was completely unaware that there is a coyote problem until it was too late. I live in the city limits just off the South Memorial Parkway. On Sunday night I let my small dogs out and they were attacked less than 30 feet from my door as I watched in horror! One of my babies was severely injured and the other was grabbed up and it ran off with her in its mouth!! Since then, I have spoken with Madison County Animal Control, the Game Warden's Office and the PD. They are receiving numerous calls and reports of coyotes all over the city and several in the area I live in. I was told that there wasn't anything that they could do about it. Too much red tape and no one wants to take responsibility. The problem is public awareness. Many of my neighbors didn't know about the coyotes and they have lived here for years. It tragic to lose a family pet, but to lose one so horribly is heart breaking. If you own a small pet, cat or dog, keep a close watch over them! Be aware that these coyotes ARE NOT afraid of humans! They are predators looking for their next meal and they have figured out that they can get a quick easy one if they go into neighborhoods.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:09 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,190,795 times
There are plenty of coyotes around Nashville as well. In fact, they are fairly common around much of the Southeastern US. Sorry for your loss, but many people have realized they shouldn't just let their pets roam free. If you're going to take them outside, put them on a leash.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM

652 posts, read 1,298,708 times
They're all over the Arsenal.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,095,375 times
My sympathies go out to you. What a horrible thing to have happen and particularly, to watch.
My parents also live in S. Hsv (off weatherly) and about 6 weeks ago a coyote ran through their back yard. They have a small dog and will not let him out alone anymore. Unfortunately, their next door neighbors put food out at night for the raccoons (not a good thing in and of itself) and that has attracted this particular coyote more than once.
Where I live, I'm used to them and every so often packs move through and I have to keep my dogs in for sure. Without earplugs they can keep you up half the night howling.
South Huntsville has been inundated with them lately.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 PM

268 posts, read 702,491 times
So many family pets have been taken by coyotes in Decatur, they have set traps up throughout the city recently.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 PM

74 posts, read 232,630 times
I live in Hazel Green, and two of our cats disappeared a couple years ago almost at around the same time that my neighbors down the road claimed that their cat was almost snatched by a coyote late at night until they turned their backporch light on and it ran away, so I'm pretty sure my cats were eaten by coyotes! I'm an animal person, so at my house there are three small dogs , three cats, and two horses. So everynight I MAKE SURE the cats and dogs are in the house, and the horses are in the barn. I advise you to do the same if you live in the Hsv Metro Area.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:53 AM

mimifoster-
Thank you for posting your story. I have copied it and emailed it out to those that I know that live in S. Hsv and don't come to this message board.

Does anyone know if any of the local news channels have run a story on this? I know they've mentioned coyotes in the area a while back but they really should be letting the people know that pets, in particular, small ones need to be taken out on a leash in the evening and not just 'watched'.
mimi watched the coyote run off with her pet.
It's akin to following someone home that has been drinking and is driving. All that accomplishes is watching the accident happen

Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 AM

5,585 posts, read 980,833 times
mimi, so sorry to hear of your beloved pet, how awful. I am a member on another forum, I have posted a warning to my many friends on that forum. Thanks for posting the warning. Such a terrible & horrible way to lose a pet.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:06 AM

183 posts, read 424,779 times
Coyotes are animals too.

Doesn't Huntsville have a leash law?

Old 08-13-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfox View Post
Coyotes are animals too.

Doesn't Huntsville have a leash law?
Seriously?

Just like to stir the pot, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area