Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM

8 posts, read 12,646 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a pretty narrow school question. Can anyone give me some insight into the atmosphere/culture of Bob Jones vs. that of Huntsville High? Specifically, I'm interested in the honors/AP world and extracurricular activities. Is there a large cadre of bright, driven, creative students spurring each other to even greater achievement and involvement? Are the top students fully engaged and involved with the student body? Are the music, theater, and art programs big and visible? Do the teachers love what they teach? If you just thought about the experience of the honors society kids, how would these two schools compare?

Some background: my wife and I have lived in Huntsville-Madison for ten years, first in Southeast Huntsville, then Five Points, and now in Madison, so we're familiar with the area and with how passionate North Alabamians are about their neighborhoods and schools . We've narrowed our home search to Madison - which we love and is close to friends, work, the pediatrician, etc. - and Monte Sano, which is a unique draw for obvious reasons. We really want our kids to have a vibrant high school like the ones we attended.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM

283 posts, read 408,777 times
Look u asked a great question, We lived in Huntsville for a year and it was a big regret. Our son is a AP student and has been since kindergarten. He was virtually attacked and threatened at Huntsville city schools. He was treated as if it was weird that a black kid was that smart. Well my son is not really that black he is multiracial and he hated the school he was in. It was extremely lacking in education. They were two years behind what he already did in Florida. We moved him to Bob Jones and he has never been so happy. He makes lots of friends, there teachers are wonderful and treat the kids like adults and expect a lot out of them. They love your children like there own when there students are there. You know that when your child is in that building there are in safe capable hands. My son is a honors AP student, He is a Wrestler and the coaches are wonderful. All the staff are very sweet and extremely helpful to us parents and teacher.
Huntsville city schools have problems with behavior and fights, Bob Jones does not. They take discipline very serious. The kids there are so great too. They help each other and treat each other kindly. It is a world of difference. We you live in Huntsville you have to be guarded and when you live in Madison city , you feel safer, you feel more relaxed and you know the city cared about it's residents. It is a beautiful city and worth the move. I hope you have a wonderful move here and enjoy it as many , Madison families do. Good luck and happy moving.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:16 PM

445 posts, read 770,768 times
I would have to say based on my experiences living here, that I would rather my kid go to Bob Jones than ANY city School

Old 08-22-2011, 04:23 PM

483 posts, read 630,416 times
I would suggest moving to the west side of Madison and going to the new high school next year. Everything will be brand new, every student will be getting a laptop instead of textbooks and it will be a great environment with a top notch Principal!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:54 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
We lived in Huntsville for a year and it was a big regret. Our son is a AP student and has been since kindergarten. He was virtually attacked and threatened at Huntsville city schools.
Over and over and over you tell this unfortunate tale of your child's one year experience at one school and present yourself as an expert on an entire city and school system? Give me a break. Not to make light of your son's predicament, which I don't doubt at all. And I'm sure he is every bit as bright as you say he is. But how does this one child's one year experience at one school in a system of over 50 schools make make the HCS a universally bad system and Huntsville city a bad place to live? It's ridiculous. I guess you'll have to explain to me as if I were a 3rd grader. I didn't have the fortune of attending school in Florida or in Madison schools. My poor HCS educated brain is having trouble comprehending I'm afraid.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 AM

11 posts, read 16,547 times
Quote:
Look u asked a great question, We lived in Huntsville for a year and it was a big regret. Our son is a AP student and has been since kindergarten. He was virtually attacked and threatened at Huntsville city schools. He was treated as if it was weird that a black kid was that smart. Well my son is not really that black he is multiracial and he hated the school he was in. It was extremely lacking in education. They were two years behind what he already did in Florida. We moved him to Bob Jones and he has never been so happy. He makes lots of friends, there teachers are wonderful and treat the kids like adults and expect a lot out of them. They love your children like there own when there students are there. You know that when your child is in that building there are in safe capable hands. My son is a honors AP student, He is a Wrestler and the coaches are wonderful. All the staff are very sweet and extremely helpful to us parents and teacher.
Huntsville city schools have problems with behavior and fights, Bob Jones does not. They take discipline very serious. The kids there are so great too. They help each other and treat each other kindly. It is a world of difference. We you live in Huntsville you have to be guarded and when you live in Madison city , you feel safer, you feel more relaxed and you know the city cared about it's residents. It is a beautiful city and worth the move. I hope you have a wonderful move here and enjoy it as many , Madison families do. Good luck and happy moving.
What Huntsville City School did your son go to?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHS98 View Post
What Huntsville City School did your son go to?
It was Ed White Middle. She's told the story in about three other threads as well.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Yet in the other thread, you are saying you need a house to rent in a safe neighborhood because your apartment complex in Madison is full of drug dealers and hoodlums. The irony is astounding.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
deesonic - IMO Superintendent Wardynski and new Principal Laqua are trying to keep Butler open. IMO Wardynski put all of the school closings on hold pending further review. Laqua has improved discipline at the school already (but the previous Principal set the bar very low).

Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
deesonic - IMO Superintendent Wardynski and new Principal Laqua are trying to keep Butler open. IMO Wardynski put all of the school closings on hold pending further review. Laqua has improved discipline at the school already (but the previous Principal set the bar very low).
Promising so far. But I'm still fairly doubtful. Even though I am a BHS alum, I'm not necessarily one who is lobbying to keep it open either. I just think the damage done is nearly irreparable. I hope I'm wrong and someday the halls will once again be full of 1000s of students like it once was. BHS held the distinction of being the largest high school in the state at one time in the late 70s actually. But man do they ever need some windows in that place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area