Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM

396 posts, read 664,996 times

Advertisements

Our heat pump went out. Any recommendations?

Looking at Broan or Maytag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
I hate heat pumps. They blow cold air.
Get a gas heat with electric A/C.
Live happily ever after.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Hi Southlander--no gas where I live

Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Electric heat pumps are far more cost efficient as long as the outside temperature is around the 30's or above. Below that, the heat strips have to kick on which reduces their efficiency dramatically. Since we don't have a lot of weather below the 30's, heat pumps are the most cost effective. I had gas and switched to heat pump and my heating costs dropped almost in half. I switched when all of the crazy swings in gas prices started several years ago. Sure the warm feel of gas heat coming from the vents felt nice but hundreds in my pocket are pretty nice too. lol

Goodman heat pumps are highly rated and reasonably priced.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 PM

168 posts, read 311,135 times
(Many of the) Goodman heat pumps are made just up the road in Fayetteville, TN..... so you got that goin' for ya:

Residential Products

I am a huge fan of mini-splits... but the local HVAC guys haven't really caught on to them yet. You see them EVERYWHERE in SE Asia where the A/C runs 24/7/365.... so they have to be reliable.

Fujitsu has a couple SEER 25+ models that will easily cut the electric bill from a SEER 13 central air system in half:

Wall Mounted 9 - 15,000 BTU Hi SEER - Fujitsu Ductless Mini-Splits

Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Most heat pumps are about equal these days. Goodman used to have a bad reputation, but they have improved a lot in the last few years. Rheem has a very good reputation. I just installed a Payne unit about 4 months ago and I have no complaints so far. Payne is the same thing as entry level Bryant/Carrier, but a lower price.

I'd probably avoid Haier, their quality is still kinda unknown. I've heard bad things about Ducane too.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:27 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
Our heat pump went out. Any recommendations?

Looking at Broan or Maytag.
I don't know what your budget is or how long you plan to stay in your home.

We installed a ground source heat pump (actually two of them) when we built our home 25 years ago. The original equipment is still working fine. Our equipment is indoors. No units outside. No worry about the copper thieves that are damaging or stealing AC units in our neck of the woods.

With ground source, you do get warm air from the vents when it's in heating mode.

The up front cost is higher, but your HVAC people should be able to estimate the time to recoup the additional expense.

I live in NW GA, so we are practically neighbors.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
The big variable is installation. All heat pumps are a sealed system, so aside from fan motors and thermostats, everything rides on the installer being anal about the details. You want no splices in the copper, full draw-down and fill to the exact proper level of exactly the right mix of refrigerant and oil, good stable installation that won't move, and tight seals all around to prevent pest damage.

I don't mind the warm air when I see the power bill.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 PM

The comments have been very helpful. Thanx to all!

Got several estimates and hope to get at least one more.

Since we will not likely be in the home more than 10 years, we'll probably go with a cheaper heatpump. We are blessed in that we get lots of good shade in the morning (house faces East) and plenty of better shade in the afternoon (large trees and mountain). Our electric bills currently do not go above $300 (except in extreme weather). July was pretty hot and our bill was $295.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area