Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 10,546 times

Advertisements

Good morning. I'm considering getting a home security system for my new house. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 PM

183 posts, read 427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeklatch View Post
Good morning. I'm considering getting a home security system for my new house. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
Glock and some gun training. Get the model that you are comfortable with. For when you are away a trained guard dog. Breed... You choice.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
One addition to cyberfox's suggestions, if you don't have an extra car so one is always in the driveway; get one. It is hard for a theif, even a local one to determine whether you are actually home or not when there is always one of the vehicles in the driveway. That in addition to some target practice with the aforementioned Glock in the backyard on the weekends, goes a long way towards theft prevention.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM

Well, that's certainly one option! However, I was looking for something a little less Mad Max and a little bit more reputable home security company. Soooo, if anybody had any recommendations on a security company that can access my house for an alarm system, that would be awesome!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 PM

373 posts, read 710,393 times
Even though a gun (one that you can hit a target with) is good personal protection it is not good for home security. Home security means stoping people from coming on to your property that are not suspose to be there. The systems vary and there is no one size fits all. I think that by far silent motion detectors give you the best and often cheapest solutions. The big thing is they give you the "advantage" of knowing the thief is there and HE DOESNT KNOW IT. You can call the cops and wait and be locked and loaded in case he does break in your door...He would never see it comming. The other alarms might scare him away but most thiefs know the responce time is slow so they really have no fear of these alarm company signs in your yard. The silent wireless alarms will even let you protect your car. Put one one the front seat and as soon as anyone enters your car the alarm will wake you up and the thief will be a sitting duck for you to "take care of business" in the way that fits best. Dont forget that most thieves are armed.Dont forget you can not shoot someone just because they are trying to break into your car or stealing your chainsaw. There has to be a real threat to your safety.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:27 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeklatch View Post
A huge dog that is meaner than sin for the yard and an ankle biter that yaps a lot for inside the house. Next choice a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #9 Quail Loads.

GL2

Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 PM

165 posts, read 211,911 times
In reply to the original post...

I live in Southeast Huntsville, and have a system from Ultimate Security in Scottsboro (inherited from the previous occupant). Typical mix of motion, contact, and noise sensors. Even though the company is 30 miles away, they have a lot of Huntsville customers, and I've been very happy with their service, responsiveness, and overall cost. These days, there are a lot of options (video, integration with home automation, remote access, etc), and it's probably worth getting advice (in person or via phone) from 2 - 3 different companies.

Regarding the (perhaps, or perhaps not) facetious replies above...this is Alabama, replete with many people whose opinions epitomize the previous poster's username, but don't be deterred, this forum also has contributors whose views are more, er, progressive (and know how to spell).

Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
To the OP, yes if you can afford to do so, I suggest having your entire house hardwired for a security system, not using the motion detectors unless that's your level that fits your budget.

Get all new window screens if you can, by having the company or someone put the alarm screening on them. They are hooked to the system and alert you or the monitoring station and neighbors before any creep can even start working to get the hardware window open.

I also suggest the security cams, and you can buy these online and do it yourself, saving yourself a lot of money. Ours, we have seven of them go into computers in our home. The computer program starts recording every time there is movement within the camera range.

yes, this means that insects and bushes blowing not always but can make it record, so we go through every so often and dump the recordings.

PS, the dogs and glocks are a very good idea, also.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
[quote=OmarLittle;22708771" . . .

Regarding the (perhaps, or perhaps not) facetious replies above...this is Alabama, replete with many people whose opinions epitomize the previous poster's username, but don't be deterred, this forum also has contributors whose views are more, er, progressive (and know how to spell).[/quote]

I assume your somewhat condescending smarmy post was referring to my previous post. FYI I use the misspelled Gunluvver2 moniker because after using Gunlover for many years and switching to a different ISP provider the closest I could get was Gunluvver2. Next my reply was not facetious. As my name implies I am a firearms owner and I know how to use them. However I believe that for home defense a trained Dog is the best defense for MOST people. I use a gun but that is because I now live in a No Pets apartment building.

You can spend thousands of dollars on a Home Security system but think about this. How many times have you heard burglar alarms go off in your neighborhood? In my city (Lincoln, Nebraska BTW) false alarms have been a huge problem. Here is a link to a Blog by our former Police Chief on that exact subject < The Director's Desk . Save the thousands of dollars you will spend on the fancy schmansy Home Security system and buy a trained guard dog and also a small house dog like a Terrier. You can spend the money you save to buy Dog Food and you will probably be safer than having that high tech security system.
Just my opinion,
GL2

Old 01-26-2012, 06:59 AM

I want to thank everyone who responded! I really do appreciate all the input. Although a gun and/or guard dog are not an option for me with little ones in the house, all the information about companies and the various products I can install myself has really given me something to think about. I'll probably go to Lowe's or Home Depot to get some idea of what's out there. Thanks, again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area